• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Mental illnesses and type.

Spectre of the spam

MBTI Type
ISTJ
What mental illnesses are more likely to occure in types? I've no real reason for asking other than to simply know.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Well I'm pretty sure my grandfather is some sort of wacked-out INTP, and he is a paranoid schizophrenic.

strawberryfields

MBTI Type
ENFP
It's a tough one to call, since mental illness can influence personality so it's difficult to tell which comes first, methinks. I've found INTJ's I've known very prone to depression - I think it's partly thinking about things deeply and often holding themselves to high standards, and perhaps being fairly insular people often anyway so not finding solace in others. Females are much more prone to get depressed, part of that is physiological but I think an element there is that you get a lot more female F's and I imagine F's are more prone to depression.

I read an article once which said INFP's are the most likely to get depressed. When I was studying psychology though I remember reading a study which suggested S's are more likely than N's to get clinical depression, which surprised me.

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Austism is usually an INTJ/P thing.

Actually the studies on autistic children show ISTJ, as do the patterns of behavior as they often fixate on physical objects...

It seems like any type can end up with about any mental illness. However, misdiagnosis is more likely in certain types. Like, is an EP child just being an EP or is it ADD? Is an IP withdrawn and depressed or happy as a clam alone all the time? etc.

Spectre of the spam

MBTI Type
ISTJ
It's a tough one to call, since mental illness can influence personality so it's difficult to tell which comes first, methinks. I've found INTJ's I've known very prone to depression - I think it's partly thinking about things deeply and often holding themselves to high standards, and perhaps being fairly insular people often anyway so not finding solace in others. Females are much more prone to get depressed, part of that is physiological but I think an element there is that you get a lot more female F's and I imagine F's are more prone to depression.

I read an article once which said INFP's are the most likely to get depressed. When I was studying psychology though I remember reading a study which suggested S's are more likely than N's to get clinical depression, which surprised me.[/QUOTE/]

As an ISTJ I can testify that S's and I's are probably more likely to get depressed. When I was younger I was nearly constantly depressed. The only thing that kept me from suicide was cowardice and no access to a painless means of death. That extreme depression has faded over time I think, although i'm still pretty pessimistic. Heck, sometimes I think about offing myself for fun (not seriously, just to imagine the reactions of others).

I could be wrong about the depression fading though. I might be so apathetic and calloused I just don't notice it.....But that's another topic.

Chris_in_Orbit

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Actually there is a website with this....

DELIVERY

INFP personality type

i have it on the INFP page but theres one for each type...interesting stuff though i don't pretend to understand half of it.

Usehername

On a mission
I read an article once which said INFP's are the most likely to get depressed. When I was studying psychology though I remember reading a study which suggested S's are more likely than N's to get clinical depression, which surprised me.
MBTI isn't valid by any DSM-IV standard. I'm curious as to what "study" you're referring to? (Scare quotes intended to reflect that fact that it probably wasn't from an academic journal, not saying it wasn't a study.)

As an ISTJ I can testify that S's and I's are probably more likely to get depressed. When I was younger I was nearly constantly depressed. The only thing that kept me from suicide was cowardice and no access to a painless means of death. That extreme depression has faded over time I think, although i'm still pretty pessimistic. Heck, sometimes I think about offing myself for fun (not seriously, just to imagine the reactions of others).

I could be wrong about the depression fading though. I might be so apathetic and calloused I just don't notice it.....But that's another topic.

It's likely your brain was still growing; it's unfortunately common to get really depressed teens/young adults until their brain settles into full adulthood.

Spectre of the spam

MBTI Type
ISTJ
MBTI isn't valid by any DSM-IV standard. I'm curious as to what "study" you're referring to? (Scare quotes intended to reflect that fact that it probably wasn't from an academic journal, not saying it wasn't a study.)

It's likely your brain was still growing; it's unfortunately common to get really depressed teens/young adults until their brain settles into full adulthood.

I may not be a mainstream ISTJ. I feel a little more than my type should. Not enough to make me another type, but just a little to much. I really wish I didn't. I want to be normal or different, not this sickening in between area.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Schizoid and schizotypal personality disorders correlate with INTP and INTJ. Both "personality disorders" have also been speculated to be mild forms of schizophrenia.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
I didn't say it was an accurate set of correlations, just supplied it.

It's all bullshit. Type, astrology, enneagram. Pick your fantasy and apply as needed.

Chris_in_Orbit

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Well I don't find MBTI to be "bullshit" simply because it is made in a fool proof fashion. Gives a spectrum with two clearly opposing preferences and then maps you on it.. I don't even see how something like that could be considered bs.

Deciding that your four letter combination is you and deciding to conform to its descriptions totally -is- BS though.

placebo

MBTI Type
INFP
According to here
Oldham's Personality Styles

Antisocial
ESTP, ISTP

Sadistic
ESTJ, ENTJ

Cyclothymic
ESFP, ISFP

Obsessive-Compulsive
ISTJ, ESTJ

Dependent
ISFJ, ESFJ

Histrionic
ESFJ, ESFP

Schizotypal
INTJ, INTP

Compensatory Narcissistic
ENFP, ENTP

Passive-Agressive
ISTP, INTP

Borderline
ESFP, ENFP

Narcissistic
ESTP, ENTP

Self-Defeating (Masochistic)
ESFJ, ENFJ

Avoidant
INFJ, INFP

Depressive
ISTJ, ISFJ

Schizoid
ISTJ, INTJ

Paranoid
ENTJ, INTJ

Research it, take what you want from it

Cindy

MBTI Type
INTJ

Strawberryfields that makes sense to me. I think anger has a lot to do with depression. From what I've read on the topic of depression I believe that too much internalised anger = depression. I think that women probably are more prone to depression because they traditionally have issues with expressing anger (myself not included lol). Like you say INTJ's are insular/typically keeping their feelings inside and I think anger is a pretty nasty emotion to internalise. Hence I think introverts would be more prone to depression.

Then again us INTJ's are a tough bunch, we must have a large emotional threshold. It would have to be something major to push our limits. At the end of the day if an INTJ's life was to blow up in their faces we would probably be best equipped to take the necessary steps to get back on track. I'm not sure an F has the same amount of will power to quell their emotions, remove themselves from what they are feeling and take a more objective stance in order to find their way back onto their path. I'm talking purely about depression here of course, I don't think you could head off something like schitzophrenia or a major depressive episode. Aren't mental illnesses like these chemical related? I don't see how type could influence the chemicals in our brains.

Are S's not as likely to pick up the patterns of what leads to depression than N's are I wonder.

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Strawberryfields that makes sense to me. I think anger has a lot to do with depression. From what I've read on the topic of depression I believe that too much internalised anger = depression. I think that women probably are more prone to depression because they traditionally have issues with expressing anger (myself not included lol). Like you say INTJ's are insular/typically keeping their feelings inside and I think anger is a pretty nasty emotion to internalise. Hence I think introverts would be more prone to depression.

Then again us INTJ's are a tough bunch, we must have a large emotional threshold. It would have to be something major to push our limits. At the end of the day if an INTJ's life was to blow up in their faces we would probably have the skills to take the necessary steps to get back on track. I'm not sure an F has the same amount of will power to quell their emotions, remove themselves from what they are feeling and take a more objective stance in order to find there way back onto their path.

Are S's not as likely to pick up the patterns of what leads to depression than N's are I wonder.

You're right about depression and anger. I once read a description of depression as 'anger turned inward'. That makes sense.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
Actually the studies on autistic children show ISTJ, as do the patterns of behavior as they often fixate on physical objects...

It seems like any type can end up with about any mental illness. However, misdiagnosis is more likely in certain types. Like, is an EP child just being an EP or is it ADD? Is an IP withdrawn and depressed or happy as a clam alone all the time? etc.
The ISTJ is the safety measure only.
The clinical observation is plain wrong.

A choice is not the end.
It is the beginning.

Gabe

MBTI Type
ENTP

Well, because of what they consider ADD, just about every EP has ADD. I think we should invent a pathologization for ESTJ, maybe that would get people to stop seeing something wrong with EPs. The diagnosis was made for the purpose of singling out some types, so I've always seen it as a big scam.