• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Crying

Littleclaypot

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
When I was younger, I was much more sensitive and I cried a LOT. I think once I entered my twenties, I became much less likely to react to a situation by crying. Nowadays I don't cry about serious things, but small, inconsequential things make me tear up..
For example, thinking about all the horses that have died during all the wars, those animal shelter commercials, or commercials with starving children.. also literature involving human suffering. I can feel their suffering and it overwhelms me. But I struggled to cry at my own grandmother's funeral.. I tried to force myself but I just couldn't, even though I was really sad.
so yeah.
i do enjoy doing it becuase I feel really calm afterwards.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
When I was younger, I was much more sensitive and I cried a LOT. I think once I entered my twenties, I became much less likely to react to a situation by crying. Nowadays I don't cry about serious things, but small, inconsequential things make me tear up..
For example, thinking about all the horses that have died during all the wars, those animal shelter commercials, or commercials with starving children.. also literature involving human suffering. I can feel their suffering and it overwhelms me. But I struggled to cry at my own grandmother's funeral.. I tried to force myself but I just couldn't, even though I was really sad.
so yeah.
i do enjoy doing it becuase I feel really calm afterwards.

This actually sounds almost opposite me. I'm more likely to cry sympathetically over an individual's pain and suffering because I imagine what they're going through. I am not one of those people to cry over animals in need of adoption (despite being a groomer), or people suffering in war torn nations, UNLESS there is a vivid example of someone experiencing it. Example: A video of a child bloodied and without his family after a bombing, or thinking about the parents who lost children after a school shooting, or thinking about someone who is dying and how it must feel physically and emotionally.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
You know, come to think of it I honestly don't think I've cried more than once since I started HRT 6 months ago. I do know that I cried once. Out of frustration. I'm a really bad angry crier. All I wanna do when I get frustrated with someone or something is throw a tantrum.

I cry BAD when pets die. To the point that like, when my second fish died my dad thought I was dying or something so he ran into my room and was like "holy shit maybe you just shouldn't have pets if it kills you this much when they die." Haven't had any pets die since I started HRT so it'll be interesting to see how that affects it... because from my experience, T really DOES effect how 'emotional' you get over stuff. Higher T = less emotionalness and crying.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Never been a sympathy crier... I'm an asshole and legitimately don't care about 99.999% of peoples' lives lol. Even if I do care about your life I'm more likely to go "aw that sucks" and maybe feel bad for you but never cry. I don't cry at shocking things like pictures of dead bodies of innocent civilians in wars or anything like that either. I don't cry over fiction when characters, even ones I really like, die.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I love crying. Most people find the physical act to be a reflection of sadness, but I find it to be a cathartic expression of emotional release. Releasing all the emotions you've pent up inside can be revitalizing. I think this scene from Spirited Away shows how I feel pretty well:

At this point in the movie Chihiro has gone through a whirlwind of changes trying to simply survive and be reunited with her parents. Haku gives her onigiri inoculated with some magical powers and says they'll help her get back her strength. She starts eating them and begins to cry, but after this scene she's motivated to take control of her life and make the most of her situation.

Last week my friend smoked me out after my first real week of work. I was so relaxed I started to shed some tears and I could feel the tension leaving my body. This was also because I was high off my ass, but I see crying as a critical step in moving forward. I've been getting better at intentionally getting myself to cry because it helps me in fully processing my emotions. Crying helps me see the value in not letting things go, but letting things be.

/cancer thoughts

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Do you cry often? Do you think crying often is a good thing? A release? Or a problem? Or just how do you expereince it?

I don't cry often. Crying seems to be an addictive thing for me, and if I let myself cry a little, that turns into crying all the time. Most people cry because they're sad, but it goes the other way too, ime. I can be sad too often because crying too often puts me in that emotional state. It might be the same thing with laughing and being happy.

Sometimes I do just need a good cry and I'll want ot be left alone so I can cry myself to sleep. After that, I'll probably be done with crying abotu whatever it is for a while.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I hardly ever cry, at least since I have been an adult, and never in front of others. It is none of their business, it rarely helps the situation, and just makes me feel physically bad. I prefer to defuse sad, stressful, or painful situations otherwise. If others cry around me, it makes me feel a bit uncomfortable because I have no constructive response. If it persists much, it actually makes me less inclined to get involved or to help them. I prefer to wait until they have calmed down some and can describe what the problem is.

Yes, all of this. Crying makes a mess. I mean physically plus there is always a tissue mess, stuffy nose, general bad feeling. I have no idea what people mean when they say it's cleansing. I prefer exercise or sex, something else to handle those emotions. Crying people - you have to calm down some so you can talk if you come to me with the problem. Kids too and they oddly understand that requirement better than many adults.

Flâneuse

don't ask me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't have a regular crying pattern -- it depends on how my life is going, how I've been processing (or not processing) my experiences, and the kinds of things I've been fixated on, which are all things that change often. I've gone months without feeling the need to cry at all, and I've gone through periods when I couldn't help crying several times a day, every day. For me, crying is often a response to feeling stuck in some painful feeling, to the point where I can't feel anything else. Although starting to cry is initially painful, it usually ends up helping me break through some of that suffocating, stagnant bad feeling so I can feel other things too and be more connected to my experiences again, able to feel a more varied mix of emotional reactions to life instead of being "stuck" in a feeling. It often doesn't dissipate the bad feeling entirely, but at least releases enough of it so I can see a silver lining.

Radio Bob

Resident Alien
Funny, I have been thinking about this for a few days. I never cried, even for the loss of my parents. At one point, I used to wonder what was wrong because I did not, but that faded away to my being normal (for me). Lately, within the last 6 months, I find myself crying more than I ever imagined possible. Sad and happy both. I'm not trying to manage it either, and just let it happen and thinking this is becoming the new normal.

Lucy_Ricardo

MBTI Type
INFP
I cry, and it's not infrequent, but it's almost always in solitude. When I'm alone, just thinking about something touching can make me cry. Happy tears, sad tears, angry tears, confused tears, nostalgic tears, homesick tears, stress tears--I cry them all by myself. And it almost always makes me feel better.

When I'm in the company of others, however, I can keep it together. My friends and family might cry to me, and it strengthens my resolve to keep it together to be there for them.

The only times I cry in public are at weddings and at funerals. Oh, and sometimes at the movie theater. Up and Lord of the Rings hit me hard at the movies, and I thought my friends would never let me live it down.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I get choked up at least once or twice a month, but I don't let myself actually shed tears unless things are really, really bad. Because toxic masculinity, or something.

75-90% of the time it's because I'm angry.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Not often. May tear a bit, basically eyes water some and thats it, no tears down face, up on a song or something. But only 2 or 3 that do that. Maybe a real sad movie. Cry...i dont remember last time i actually cried.

Probably when my grandpa past away 4 years ago.

Hitoshi-San

MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
???
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I used to never cry when I was a kid but now I do all the time. like actually I can & will tear up over nothing in particular if I just get suddenly emotional. I guess I’m also more comfortable w/ crying in front of people who aren’t family too. there’s times when I want to just break tf down but I kind of physically can’t? it’s like my tear ducts are constipated but when I end up crying it’s usuallt not at a time when I want it to happen, much like blowing ass

PumpkinMayCare

𝓛ιкєтнє𝓓єνi lмαу
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I cry when I feel like I need it and it will help me. I do feel 'cleaned' after crying, sometimes.
On other occasions I decide not to cry because it would only make me even sadder and tear me down some more.
I don't have problems crying in front of other people, actually there is not much that can make me feel uncomfortable. If I want to cry, I don't give a flying f about strange looks from other people or if it makes them a little uncomfortable because they have no idea how to deal with it. These reactions don't bother me at all. With insensitive comments it's a little different. Depnding on how insensitive that comment was, I might start a fight over it then, LOL. Also feel a little bit sorry when my crying makes someone else sad, since I don't want that, naturally.

Just rememberd one time I had to leave work earlier and go to the university hospital because the root of one of my tooth was so badly inflammed, the left part of my face was completely swollen because of it, LOL. And that idiot at the university hospital completely fucked up the dosage of the local anesthetics. I was in SUCH pain on my way back home, that I couldn't help my crying. There was absolutely nothing I could about it! The tears poured down my face and that was it. I had absolutely no control over it. Of course everyone on the train starred at me as if I was insane. I could virtually feel their discomfort and how anxious the situation made some of them feel.
It did make me feel a little uncomfortable but in hindsight I must say, it did help me getting over the fear of getting negative attention ... before that I was very reserved about crying and totally scared by the thought alone to cry in front of others.
Scary how some things can change so drastically.

Icaro10100

Last time I cried was a few years ago, when I took the wrong medicine for something I don't remember anymore and thought I were going to die.

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
I cry when I grieve. It's like emotional vomit. I need to get it out in order to move on and feel better, so I usually lean into it and welcome it. The deeper the severed pair bonds, the larger the volume.

Recently my girlfriend collapsed on me mid coitus after a particularly intense orgasm and started sobbing. I had no idea I was such a sad lay. :/

Also never understood the crying out of anger thing. All anger does to me is make me focused. My emotions sharpen themselves into a weapon, and only come out through weapon-like actions.

LucieCat

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Not that much. Only a handful of people have made me so angry I cry tears of pure anger. I've occasionally laughed so hard I've cried. When I'm tired I sometimes cry from yawning too much.
I rarely cry from being hurt or upset. It happens, but a lot of the time I just don't cry.
I maybe cry every other week. It depends how much I yawn ha ha.
I also cry at really really really sad movies and books.
I also will sometimes wake up crying with no idea as to why.

biohazard

Permabanned
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I cry all the time. I enjoy crying because it makes me feel like a human being. It helps me to understand my sensitivities as a person. It helps me release my pain. I always feel better after a cry.