• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Belief in self in the face of adversity vs belief in feedback

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
How does one successfully combine belief in themselves and belief in feedback, some of which might run contrary to the positive beliefs you hold about yourself?

Madboot

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
First by rejecting the notion that believing in oneself equates to believing in ones own infallibility. I believe I am capable of achieving many things if I put my will to them, including becoming a better person (subjective I know). I am confident in my ability to handle most things that the world will throw at me. Part of that is being open to feedback from others. They have a different perspective than me obviously and may point out things about myself that avoided my notice entirely. I was informed once that I was arrogant and bullheaded. In classic young INTJ fashion I merely thought I was right and wasn't going to be swayed by emotional arguments. But this feedback let me know my approach needed a lot of work if I didn't want many people antagonized by my lack of tact. I still didn't change my mind about that argument though. :D