• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do You Dream In Colors or In Black/White?

dnivera

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
What a coincidence that we're on this topic! Last night I had the most vivid dream where I could see and smell everything in vivid detail. I was in a dollhouse with bright blue wallpaper, pink carpet and 60s furniture. I could see the intricate patterns of the lace doilies on the coffee table and the reflection of light off the brown lacquer on the old-fashioned style of the TV and radio. The bright colors stayed with me all day today. Then I was in a buffet-style dining hall and choosing what kind of food to eat, and I could see the juices on the roast ham and the steam of the asparagus in vivid detail.

I usually don't have such extrasensory dreams.

Argus

MBTI Type
ENTP
60-70% of the time i dream in color. the rest of the time... it's neither color nor black and white. it's hard to describe. sepia, maybe?
sometimes there is scent. often there is taste.
dreams have always been weird for me. sometimes i get stuck in them for days and wake up completely exhausted.
i've never been able to dream lucidly, at least, not to the point where i can manifest my own "reality".

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
60-70% of the time i dream in color. the rest of the time... it's neither color nor black and white. it's hard to describe. sepia, maybe?

I was just going to say this... about the sepia. I'm actually convinced that since there's no real visual input, the idea of dreaming in color is a red herring. It's essentially a meaningless question. Your brain may be thinking things are in color (as this is the default perception of the external world), but since your eyes are not seeing, there's no color, no matter what. When you close your eyes and visualize something, is it in color? It's probably a similar experience.

Oh, also, I think the sepia is what our eyes see when they're closed. At least when there's any light.

AppFzx

MBTI Type
INFJ
I usually only get black and white + one color per dream if I get to have a color. I had a really vivid dream about five years ago with two colors. A large explosion partially hidden by a distant mountain (nuclear?) which had a brilliant (black and white) flash followed by a dark-bright-red (hard to explain) sphere of light from it's center which faded out as it expanded. Then I ran inside and saw the tv turn to blue fuzz/static and heard it. (strangely enough, I met someone else who had had almost the exact same dream and we had both blogged about it and neither of us had known about the other's dream before we met)

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Am I strange for not being able to answer the question? I don't really know actually. I do have a very good idea of what constitutes a sunset-like scenario and a midnight-like scenario in my dreams though so....I don't know :p

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I don't recall ever having dreamt in black and white. It's always color.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Every time I see this topic title, "Better Man" by Pearl Jam pops into my head.

WobblyStilettos

MBTI Type
INFP
I tend to dream in quite vivid coloUrs :) I do remember having one dream in black and white though :)

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
screw what i said, i had a dream in ridiculous colors lol. one dream had cavemen, and people with no torso walking around. it was incredibly weird.

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
Color, but not particularly vivid. Or it could be that the weirdness of the plot drowns out any particular impression color would make.

Wild horses

MBTI Type
ENFP
I usually dream in colour however, occasionaly I have dreamt in sepia which have been some of my most vivd and memorable dreams. When I did dream in sepia I remember noticing that a different atmosphere was creating in my surroundings

gloomy-optimist

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
The weird thing about my dreams are that I don't usually remember if I dream in color or not :/ I know I do some of the time, at least; there are other times where my dreams might just be too dark or too intricate to remember any color.
I've had a lot of very surreal dreams; people where you couldn't hear them speak, but you know what they say, and where you can't see their faces, but know who they are. Often times, I don't remember any color in these dreams; just a feeling of detachment and isolation.

MBTI Type
INxJ
Color. I've yet to personally hear of anyone that does otherwise.

ENTJ Extraordinaire

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
9w1
sigh, i don't often remember dreams, however i am fairly certain those i do remember are in colour...

...except one in particular...from my childhood, in which i was hunted down and murdered, it was in a mix of dark blues and black...no other colours...

so i guess that is something?

StoryOfMyLife

MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Colors. Vivid. My dreams tend to cause me to believe the events are quite real. I've often woken up quite disappointed or confused because I expect to still be in the midst of whatever has been happening. The vividness of my dreams often times causes intense emotion, displayed within where I wouldn't ever display them while awake. I also can wake with the memory of how something felt, texture-wise, or smelled during a dream.

I love to sleep, if only to dream :D

B

ByMySword

I only dream in black and white
I only dream cause I'm alive
I only dream in black and white
to save me from myself.

Sorry, Iron Maiden got the best of me.

I don't think I do, but who knows?

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I only remember two dreams specifically being in black and white. One was a particularly disturbing dream I had as a kid and another was one of those rare movie-themed dreams. Rare in the sense of I wasn't interacting in any way with the characters and felt a detachment from the events- a pure spectator. The scene changes were cool.

Most of the dreams I remember have color (resisting puns), but sometimes I can't say anything plays into my memory that registers a dream as color or black/white.

I think dreams really are your brain working things in backwards. It's strange what random things from your day can get cycled in sometimes- when other things are ignored. The worst dreams are ones about some real-life terrifying event that you'll have to go through at some point in your life. It happens in the dream and it's horrible but you survive... and you wake up and you realize you still haven't survived it yet.

I don't think I really like dreams as a whole. They disturb my emotional state a lot. Which is great when I'm floating on air after a great dream. But twice as awful when it's an unsound one.* And dreams tend to muddle my sense of memory (I've a hard enough time remembering things without confusing dreams for real-life chronology). The best sleep of all is when I just wake up from nREM, feeling fresh and remembering nothing except a brief roll-over in the middle of the night.

*Maybe it's natural to not need happiness explained, but disturbance/unhappiness must be dissected and obsessed-over.