• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is it worse for women?

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
Maybe.
Somewhat.
There's enough randy/carnal N guys around here, though.
Once the drive kicks in, both S's and N's can be pretty carnal.

No real difference in drive. Ns just are less aware of how it influences their decision. Actually, Oberon's "I just realised I preferred redheads" thread comes to mind immediately.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
No real difference in drive. Ns just are less aware of how it influences their decision.

I don't deny my preferences, but they have proved to be very easily changed as the time goes by. I don't think I could make a list about the things that attract me. And this is maybe the reason why I say many women think less of themselves than they should. There are many things that can make them attractive.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
I don't deny my preferences, but they have proved to be very easily changed as the time goes by. I don't think I could make a list about the things that attract me. And this is maybe the reason why I say many women think less of themselves than they should. There are many things that can make them attractive.

Studies in speed dating have shown that (men and women) we tend to adjust preferences very very quickly. Our actual mate selection process is more or less entirely arational (meaning, below awareness) - we rationalize after the fact.

For example, if you do a survey on your preferences, then go through speed dating, your preferences next week will tend to match the person you ranked highest during the speed dating, not your previous preferences.

It is more notable for women than men, however this is mostly because men are simple :D

The same goes for our securities in terms of mate selection. It is buried really deep - everytime we walk around, we are evaluating ourselves, others... It influences us all the time.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Studies in speed dating have shown that (men and women) we tend to adjust preferences very very quickly. Our actual mate selection process is more or less entirely arational (meaning, below awareness) - we rationalize after the fact.

For example, if you do a survey on your preferences, then go through speed dating, your preferences next week will tend to match the person you ranked highest during the speed dating, not your previous preferences.

This is true and why I pay no attention to what people say their preferences are anymore. The only downside to that is that it can make you question a person's sense of loyalty and commitment once you're involved with them.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
Oh, I just realized. We haven't answered the question. Is it harder for women? This far we have found out that:

Men have ability to have more babies than women
which means that
- Women go for quality
- Men go for quantity

Some men are highly popular among women
which means
- They set the standard of the "desirable man"
- The desirable men as a group show what is the kind of woman they prefer
- So the desirable men define the desirable woman
- This is a loop: Popular women choose popular men who choose popular women. (what does it mean?)

Women value themselves by comparing themselves to the other women
- Can you get a popular man?
- If not, does that mean you are unsuccessful?

The popular men set the standard for what is desirable woman
- If a man has to "settle for less" than the standard, is he unsuccessful?
- Does the non-dominant male realize his place and "settle for less" automatically?

Role of a father is also important to consider
- Why would a woman prefer a weaker man?
- Are the non-dominant males doomed to be fathers of the dominant male's children?

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
The only downside to that is that it can make you question a person's sense of loyalty and commitment.

I don't think that loyalty or commitment come from the attractiveness of the mate.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh, I just realized. We haven't answered the question. Is it harder for women? This far we have found out that:

which means that
- Women go for quality
- Men go for quantity
Last I checked, Men still can't have babies.*

Men go for quantity - perhaps.
Women go for quality - they may go for it, but do they find it?

It is safe to assume in this and all other matters, that it is always harder for women.

(*if they can, this might be an exception to the above rule)

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't think that loyalty or commitment come from the attractiveness of the mate.

You're right it doesn't however if someone feels attracted to many different types of mates then they may feel trapped and struggle within a commitment to just one type.

Mole

Permabanned

which means that
- Women go for quality
- Men go for quantity

Some men are highly popular among women
which means
- So the desirable men define the desirable woman
- This is a loop: Popular women choose popular men who choose popular women. (what does it mean?)

Women value themselves by comparing themselves to the other women
- Can you get a popular man?
- If not, does that mean you are unsuccessful?

- Does the non-dominant male realize his place and "settle for less" automatically?

- Are the non-dominant males doomed to be fathers of the dominant male's children?

This is called calculating concupiscence.

And is the work of abject objects.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Just a question (and sorry if this was already addressed- I didn't feel like reading back a few pages) how does the availability of birth control change these dynamics? Will some women, like some men, start going for quantity instead of quality? :huh:

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Just a question (and sorry if this was already addressed- I didn't feel like reading back a few pages) how does the availability of birth control change these dynamics? Will some women, like some men, start going for quantity instead of quality? :huh:

Yes.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
which means that
- Women go for quality
- Men go for quantity

This is the preference - with monogamy the norm (although I'd actually say it is a quasi-norm because there is an awful lot of cheating), these two things have influence, but are no longer the overall outcome of the mating scene. It's just an inclination that has ramifications.

It isn't the men that set the desirable man, exactly... rather it is the traits themselves that make the male desirable to women, as a whole. The man is like a container of 'traits' that women want.

Think of it through an evolutionary lens - the traits that women find desirable lead to that trait being passed more frequently to children, along with the desire of those traits. Likewise, traits that indicate better chance of survival tend to stay around to be noticed/found desirable.

Generally, speaking, yes. Guys do get rated on their mates a fair bit. However, any male that gets a female is successful, so the standard is a bit different.

Even though males have an over-inflated sense of their mating worth, they do automatically adjust. It comes about naturally - if women think they can do better, they upgrade, leaving the male without a mate. This happens until a female agrees to be with the male.

This also makes sense - a guy gains a lot by being overconfident (ie: it's a mate or lose situation for him!). It signals that he is 'dominant', he is expendable in the large picture, etc. Women, on the other hand, just want to optimize their mate.

Generally, the logic would be that she cannot secure (or does not believe she can secure) a higher value male.

Non-dominant males are not doomed to be fathers of the dominant males... it actually happens the other way around. The ideal strategy for a non-dominant male is to seduce dominant male's mate(s) and have the dominant male use his resources and abilities to raise the child (more successfully than a less dominant male). It also is effective because the female gains multiple genetic sources while preserving her status (and her children's status), and also can secure a second available mate if need be.

Or so the theory goes, heh. Society makes reading our primitive tendencies rather... difficult.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
Last I checked, Men still can't have babies.

Heh, well, yeah. I don't know how I can say what I meant without the image of big-bellied Schwarzenegger popping in your head.

Women go for quality - they may go for it, but do they find it?

In this case the quality means "a man that every woman supposedly wants". This isn't exactly what I personally think is quality, but in eyes of evolution it is.

It is safe to assume in this and all other matters, that it is always harder for women.

Why?

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
Think of it through an evolutionary lens - the traits that women find desirable lead to that trait being passed more frequently to children, along with the desire of those traits. Likewise, traits that indicate better chance of survival tend to stay around to be noticed/found desirable.

I think we can very narrow those traits down to being "successful" and something that the other women want. For example: Why would a young woman have a relationship with older man that has a lot of money. He has poor genes (older you get the less you have quality sperm) and the ability to make money is surely not up to genes anyways. There is (from evolution perspective) no reason for the girl to be with the man. (besides, old people are wrinkled :) ) So the man is successful, and that is the only thing that matters?

Non-dominant males are not doomed to be fathers of the dominant males... it actually happens the other way around. The ideal strategy for a non-dominant male is to seduce dominant male's mate(s) and have the dominant male use his resources and abilities to raise the child (more successfully than a less dominant male). It also is effective because the female gains multiple genetic sources while preserving her status (and her children's status), and also can secure a second available mate if need be.

I really don't follow the logic here. The non-dominant has a reason to stick with the woman (he wouldn't have anyone else anyways) but the dominant is prone to go away hopping from bed to bed. Why would he want to secure someone else's children when he probably doesn't have time for his own children?

You're right it doesn't however if someone feels attracted to many different types of mates then they may feel trapped and struggle within a commitment to just one type.

Nah, I wouldn't worry about that. Sure many women can be pretty, but when youre with one you don't think about that until she leaves you.. :)

This is called calculating concupiscence.

You use such a hard vocabulary that I can hardly ever understand your point. Could you explain it with more simple words. (I actually checked the dictionary and I still find it very hard to get the meaning)

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
I think we can very narrow those traits down to being "successful" and something that the other women want. For example: Why would a young woman have a relationship with older man that has a lot of money. He has poor genes (older you get the less you have quality sperm) and the ability to make money is surely not up to genes anyways. There is (from evolution perspective) no reason for the girl to be with the man. (besides, old people are wrinkled :) ) So the man is successful, and that is the only thing that matters?

There are two good reasons, though...

1 - His success is likely related to his genes (ie: any success is a signal of good genes), even if age works against him

2 - His resources ensure a high rate of survival for her children, allowing her genes to continue beyond her direct children.

Keep in mind 'old' doesn't mean the same thing in evolutionary terms. When your life ends around 30, which may even be optimistic, "old" has a very different meaning! Sperm quality wouldn't of been a significant issue, most likely.

All the male has to do is signal things that have worked in the past. The big two are money and status in the present, least in the long run. Younger males get away with being vastly overconfident (which in theory, signal future money and status, giving women the incentive to get them before they are 'out of reach')

I really don't follow the logic here. The non-dominant has a reason to stick with the woman (he wouldn't have anyone else anyways) but the dominant is prone to go away hopping from bed to bed. Why would he want to secure someone else's children when he probably doesn't have time for his own children?

Just to be clear - the goal here is to have the woman cheat on the dominant male so that the dominant male wouldn't know it wasn't his. That means the non-dominant male doesn't have to spend any resources raising the child, and the dominant male does.

The reason why the equilibrium is reached is because if all males follow the 'sleep around' strategy, none can ensure their resources are properly directed to their children. It is always better for the high-resource groups to mate guard, and this always means that those without mates gain by poaching.

anii

homo-loving sonovagun
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
"The Beauty Myth" by Naomi Wolf is a now classic that best addresses this issue.

Women only compete with women for limited resources because they are on the bottom tier. Just like Blacks and Latinos and just like _______ and _______.

As long as there is a power differential and an inequitable distribution of power and wealth, marginalized groups will fight each other for resources.

When they should really all just decide to join forces and fight the privileged group.

Anyone for a Bloody Revolution? :devil:

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Women only compete with women for limited resources because they are on the bottom tier.
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at your arse.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
1 - His success is likely related to his genes (ie: any success is a signal of good genes), even if age works against him

2 - His resources ensure a high rate of survival for her children, allowing her genes to continue beyond her direct children.

I can agree on number two. For some reason I find it very hard to believe that success is related to genes (in this world or the one we were evolved in). I can agree , though, that being unsuccessful can sometimes be because of bad genes. So I guess it is "playing it safe" to choose a successful mate.

Just to be clear - the goal here is to have the woman cheat on the dominant male so that the dominant male wouldn't know it wasn't his. That means the non-dominant male doesn't have to spend any resources raising the child, and the dominant male does.

Wait a minute. Isn't it like a statistical fact that men are the cheaters?

Women only compete with women for limited resources because they are on the bottom tier.

As long as there is a power differential and an inequitable distribution of power and wealth, marginalized groups will fight each other for resources.

Whoah... Good comment. You just took my mind off the genes and filled it with feminism. So, the question turns around into: How would the world be if women had the role of men in the society for, say, the last ten thousand years? Would the men now be obsessed with their looks (Does this "metrosexuality" thing imply that men have already lost their control :) )? Would it have been even theoretically possible for a society dominated by females to survive until this age? Are there any societies anywhere that are female-dominated?

Damn, this conversation has been really something. I have had this revelation feeling for several times now.

And, yeah, I'm up for a revolution. :devil::yes:

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Oh no, ptgatsby trying again to understand how relationships work using logic, no no nooooo make him stop please

This is true and why I pay no attention to what people say their preferences are anymore.

Depends on how they have understood their preferences. Like if I say I like dark-haired girls because I've always liked brunettes so far, I am not creating an artificial preference, simply saying what my natural reactions are.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
Oh, btw, what the fuck is this stuff: