User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 104

  1. #11
    No moss growing on me Giggly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so
    Posts
    9,666

    Default

    I think both men and women have pressure to impress the opposite gender just in different ways. Some of it is in all in our heads and some of it is legitimate.

  2. #12
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    Here we come back to the make-up and plastics. So, it isn't all woman thing ("I want to look good for myself") but more like a silent competition of women to get the men? Again a big simplification, but... does most of the low self-esteem among women come from this feeling of not being "beautiful enough" compared to the others?
    Sigh. Well, I cannot tell if that is it... but I know lots of times I'm very happy with myself -- until I get around someone else who I think is prettier, or has a nicer voice, or seems just "better" (i.e., more desirable/attractive overall) than me.

    Then I feel like crap and have to consciously buck up and tell myself I'm fine as I am and fight the bad feelings. (i.e., I stop comparing to everyone else and just compare to myself... am I the best that *I* can be?)

    I still don't know if it's about men. It's simply that my self-image takes a hit because I'm not as desirable as I realize someone might be. But like I said, that standard is highly unrealistic. It's like I have to "woo and win" myself over, not someone else per se.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  3. #13
    Senior Member ptgatsby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Posts
    4,474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Women tend to "passively pursue" males -- they purposefully put themselves out there and attempt to present themselves in a way that gets them noticed. But again this is generalization. It's funny that some people still frown upon women who actively pursue men. The last guy I talked to, it was funny -- when I pushed to meet with him (by suggesting places to go) and seemed too eager, he got really squidgy and I had to back way off before he felt comfortable getting together; it was like he needed to feel like he was the one doing the chasing.
    That's not really unusual.

    If you think that an alpha male can have as many women as he can protect (from other males )/resources can support, then the women that are left over are "inferior".

    Think of it like a game. You have equal amounts of males and females. In order to have maximum reproductive success, the males want as many high-value females, while the females want the highest value male (they can get). Since males need to both 'support' and 'protect' (read: offspring and mate guarding), it costs them resources in the long run, so they can only "hold onto" so many females at a time. Granted, I'm ignoring the whole slew of tendencies for females to cheat in the system, males poaching others indirectly, etc.

    Given that there are equal amounts, this means that some males go without mating - it is unlikely that this is ever the case for women. A male may want to trade up, as in get the maximum use of his resources, but in a choice between no mate and a mate, he'll always pick a mate.

    By design, the males have to compete with each other for the females. The females, however, do not have to compete with each other directly. Their strategy is therefore to appeal to the traits the dominant males are seeking. By virtue of evolution, these traits are mostly related to the ability to have children. The resulting tendency is for them to want to appear young and fertile.

    The males are less defined because there are mixed strategies, but in all cases, if a female is hunting a male, then she is inherently signalling her inability to have attracted a high-value male. By default, the implication is that all females are 'claimed' - not because it is true, but because that's the heurestics involved. A male would need to challenge and claim another male.

    We've grown a lot since this would fully apply, but we still have tendencies like this.

    Women, however, have it really bad because they automatically have to rate themselves against other women to determine their value. It's always been a problem for them, but the media does make it worse, to some degree. It means they believe themselves to be less attractive than their "real" competition. Similar effect with males, however, in that males tend to value their mates less after being exposed to "perfect" images. However, it isn't new.

    In summary, the short of it is... marriage is the greatest thing for men since the beginning of time. Otherwise the majority of us wouldn't have secured a mate. That, and nature is strangely cruel to women - they all would pretty much get a mate, but have been programmed to feel like they need to be perfect (or better than, I suppose), just so that they want to upgrade/keep their mate.

  4. #14
    Senor Membrane
    Join Date
    May 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    3,190

    Default

    ptgatsby, good comment! Gives certain dimension to the question... It really is a big thing that while a man can (theoretically) have dozen or more children a year, the same time woman can have one. So, women go for quality, while men go for quantity.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I still don't know if it's about men. It's simply that my self-image takes a hit because I'm not as desirable as I realize someone might be.
    For you to be desirable, you need someone to desire for you. So, that would be a man, wouldn't it? Maybe the passive man-hunting is so passive that it is hard to realize?

  5. #15
    Senior Member ptgatsby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Posts
    4,474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    ptgatsby, good comment! Gives certain dimension to the question... It really is a big thing that while a man can (theoretically) have dozen or more children a year, the same time woman can have one. So, women go for quality, while men go for quantity.
    It's a major part of it, for sure

    The things to keep in mind is that men can play a mixed strategy - they can be strong or rich or popular or high status (or... or...). They can also be romantic, dependable, agressive... all sorts of traits. Women find all of these things attractive for that reason.

    Women, however, have a much narrower strategy. It's not absolute - as you say about a good household runner - but it is much stronger. That strategy works on whatever males are more interested in, which tends to be age and fertility.

    The above, of course, relates to the big picture/game theory of mate selection, in other words, the way we likely evolved. Modern culture really blurs the lines now.

  6. #16
    Senor Membrane
    Join Date
    May 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    3,190

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    It's a major part of it, for sure

    The things to keep in mind is that men can play a mixed strategy - they can be strong or rich or popular or high status (or... or...). They can also be romantic, dependable, agressive... all sorts of traits. Women find all of these things attractive for that reason.

    Women, however, have a much narrower strategy. It's not absolute - as you say about a good household runner - but it is much stronger. That strategy works on whatever males are more interested in, which tends to be age and fertility.
    I guess it's mostly about which of the trends is more popular. Other than that, some research show that a type of women prefer non-dominant males. This is explained through the parenting role of father. The dominant male doesn't have a whole lot of time to take care of the puppies since he's out there spreading seed...

    Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    The above, of course, relates to the big picture/game theory of mate selection, in other words, the way we likely evolved. Modern culture really blurs the lines now.
    I can imagine very dramatic scenes in a stone-age tribe of 10 males and 10 females... The dominant male can't watch over the harem all the time. There probably was a lot of the "mixed strategy".

  7. #17
    Senior Member Anja's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    2,967

    Default

    "I learned the truth at seventeen
    That love is meant for beauty queens
    And high school girls with clear-skinned smiles
    Who married young and then retired."

    "The valentines I never knew
    The Friday night charades of youth
    Were meant for one more beautiful
    At seventeen I learned the truth."

    Janis Ian, circa 1967

    I understand that plastic surgeons evaluate candidates for surgery to insure than their motivation is a healthy one. I'm certainly not sure how they go about that or what makes them qualified to act as psych folks. And I have my doubts about turning down a great deal of money by many of them.

    My main concern for it would be physical health reasons.

    I've never been exactly sure who I "dress" for. Certainly as a teen I dressed for male attention.

    I like fun clothes and enjoy wearing them. Even more so I enjoy a comment or compliment.

    Guess it would depend on the occasion and the people I was going to be with.

    In my teens I would have loved to change nearly everything about my face. I suspect I've grown into it.

    And the little crow's feet and signs of age aren't bothering me. Yet, anyway. I rather fancy having a bit of grey in my hair to "prove" that I have survived the many challenges of life. And some laugh wrinkles to prove that I have laughed many times.

    My children are gone now
    No excuse for more grey
    I think it's the spouse now
    Who makes me that way.

    I like it! I love it!
    Earned every bit of it.
    A clever disguise
    To make me look wise.

    And if anyone thinks
    That I hadn't a care
    Though my life as I lived it -
    Just look at my hair!
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

  8. #18
    Senior Member ptgatsby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Posts
    4,474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    I guess it's mostly about which of the trends is more popular. Other than that, some research show that a type of women prefer non-dominant males. This is explained through the parenting role of father. The dominant male doesn't have a whole lot of time to take care of the puppies since he's out there spreading seed...
    Excellent point - that's pretty much it.

    A child's chance of survival and ability to have children can be well supported by good genes, lots of resources, dedicated parents... And it can be hurt by the lack of all of those two. So, in the end, males get to try a few different ways of doing things, and women are influenced in different ways.


    I can imagine very dramatic scenes in a stone-age tribe of 10 males and 10 females... The dominant male can't watch over the harem all the time. There probably was a lot of the "mixed strategy".
    Then you have the huge harems held by those that are rich, etc. And the Kahn types, which make up measurable % of males in an area (and the world - I think 0.5% of men are his descendents!)

    And the methods change. Young males, for example, are attention seekers. Physically competing over females, for example. But older males tend to use status and wealth, instead. Women can mate with either and have the same level of success, roughly, but men can't use both strategies at the same time, unless they are at the very top of each strategy.

    (As you can tell, I love this subject Sorry for the rambling)

  9. #19
    Senior Member Anja's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    2,967

    Default

    More of Janis's song:

    "The rich-relation beauty queen marries into what she needs."
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

  10. #20
    Welcome to Sunnyside Mondo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7
    Posts
    1,996

    Default

    I am amazed by how many intelligent, beautiful young women get involved with the superficiality of sorority life and let guys judge them so easily and let them determine what they do with themselves. It's a damn shame!

    It's amazing that women and men alike seem to fall in love with those who will treat them the worst. It seems so counter-intuitive.
    MBTI Type: iNTj
    Enneagram Type: 3w4 sp/sx

Similar Threads

  1. [ENFP] ENFP-When is it safe for Fi to come out?
    By sculpting in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 02-19-2009, 11:06 PM
  2. [INFJ] Is it common for INFJ's to come out of abusive/neglectful homes?
    By ReadingRainbows in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 02-19-2009, 09:27 PM
  3. Is it wise for a party to win this election?
    By ygolo in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-16-2008, 11:54 AM
  4. Is it OK for a man to touch a woman's breast?
    By Sona in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 73
    Last Post: 08-31-2007, 06:56 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO