User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Default Confusing Introversion, Depression, & Loneliness

I just came across a sentence in another thread, I didnt want to get offtopic in. "I lived alone for 4 years that pretty much made me an introvert". Sentence was something like that.

According to type theory that is just wrong, because the general understanding of Introvertism and Extrovertism does not relate to that at all, does it ?

I am alone like all my life and I am earth's poster child, when it comes to being introvert. I dont like the term though, I think eccentric sounds better.

But this does not make me intp according to type theory, does it ?
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    INFP

No.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Alright, for a moment I was thinking back then, I was loosing my mind
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    ISTJ

Default What About Introversion and Depression

I suppose you could go through your whole life thinking you're an Introvert, when all you are, is depressed.

(This is a pretty obvious conclusion, I think I'm wasting Internet space.)
    yesiknowimamiserablegrouchnowgoawayovmeleor

It's Mizzz ST, thank you...

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Merged and retitled.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Depressed extroverts do effect introversion, in my experience, because their energy levels are, well, depressed.

This also leads them to misjudge introverts as universally depressive, since they would have to be in that state of mind in order to act as an introvert does naturally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    intp

This thread sounds like one of my earliest posts:

Quote Originally Posted by IF3157 View Post
    It is a good question. I sometimes think self-identified introverted rationals are just depressed extroverts. I certainly became much more introverted over the last 5 years. Then, I had a tendency to flip between I and E. I liked defending and befriending the outsider loner types. From there I would conscript them into a gang of nerd-supertroopers snickering in class at the common sheep. I got people who ordinarily would not have anything in common to be friends through their connection with me. All that has been scaled back and this coincides with some recurring dark, pessimistic view of humanity. I still flip the switch now, but far less often.
    it's in this thread: http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...endencies.html

But then I think of my childhood, and realized I've always been the introspective loner type, even if I was also the mouthy troublemaker/class clown at times.

They say extroverts get their energy from outside, and I find it is often the case, but what if that's coupled with a great desire to get alone after partaking of the energy-fest? Like you subconsciously need it, but at the same time must run away from it before you just go up in flames?

Then again, imagine a depressed extrovert who mistyped self as introvert. S/he won't get the energy s/he needs while retreating to introversion because s/he prefers to be alone, so s/he's always depressed . . .

Wait . . .
    hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.
    — Antoine de Saint-Exupery

MBTI
    ISTJ

Quote Originally Posted by IF3157 View Post
    This thread sounds like one of my earliest posts:

it's in this thread: http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...endencies.html

But then I think of my childhood, and realized I've always been the introspective loner type, even if I was also the mouthy troublemaker/class clown at times.

They say extroverts get their energy from outside, and I find it is often the case, but what if that's coupled with a great desire to get alone after partaking of the energy-fest? Like you subconsciously need it, but at the same time must run away from it before you just go up in flames?

Then again, imagine a depressed extrovert who mistyped self as introvert. S/he won't get the energy s/he needs while retreating to introversion because s/he prefers to be alone, so s/he's always depressed . . .

Wait . . .
    You talk about looking back at your childhood and realizing you were, after all, introspective and a loner. But trauma could whack someone early, when they're still a toddler and they have depression from then onward leading them to belive they're Introverted.
    yesiknowimamiserablegrouchnowgoawayovmeleor

It's Mizzz ST, thank you...

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    I just came across a sentence in another thread, I didnt want to get offtopic in. "I lived alone for 4 years that pretty much made me an introvert". Sentence was something like that.

According to type theory that is just wrong, because the general understanding of Introvertism and Extrovertism does not relate to that at all, does it ?

I am alone like all my life and I am earth's poster child, when it comes to being introvert. I dont like the term though, I think eccentric sounds better.

But this does not make me intp according to type theory, does it ?
    You're exactly right.
    I read that type of thing every so often on this site and it reveals a lack of understanding of the true differences between E and I, or what they really are.
    Just because I sit alone at home for a few years, when I used to be fun-loving and outgoing with lots of friends does not mean I suddenly turned into an Introvert.

MBTI
    intp

Quote Originally Posted by Bella View Post
    You talk about looking back at your childhood and realizing you were, after all, introspective and a loner. But trauma could whack someone early, when they're still a toddler and they have depression from then onward leading them to belive they're Introverted.
    That would have to be some major trauma to forever turn their perceived preference outside in.
    Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    You're exactly right.
    I read that type of thing every so often on this site and it reveals a lack of understanding of the true differences between E and I, or what they really are.
    Just because I sit alone at home for a few years, when I used to be fun-loving and outgoing with lots of friends does not mean I suddenly turned into an Introvert.
    And just because you're out gadding about and being a raucous drunk at parties doesn't make you an extrovert.
    *must filter these things down to the essence*
    hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.
    — Antoine de Saint-Exupery