User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 42

  1. #21
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    20,122

    Default

    I'm an extrovert and I live by myself and enjoy solitary activities, like hiking, for my hobbies.

    I DO gain a lot of energy talking to other people though, and I love my job because I get to talk to a variety of people, some of whom have very interesting things to say!

    Depressed extroverts can definitley appear to be introverted- but sometimes happy extroverts can be semi-antisocial to the point where they appear introverted to others I suppose
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

  2. #22
    Senior Member Kyrielle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    1,297

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Martoon View Post
    I agree with that assertion, but in their report on their findings, they very clearly said that happy people spend most of their time around other people, and are seldom alone. They really pushed the "if you're not interacting socially most of the time, it's unhealthy" thing.
    Ah. And here I was hopeful that they weren't being foolish.
    "I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference."

    Robert Frost

  3. #23
    now! in shell form INA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    intp
    Posts
    3,198

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I'm an extrovert and I live by myself and enjoy solitary activities, like hiking, for my hobbies.

    I DO gain a lot of energy talking to other people though, and I love my job because I get to talk to a variety of people, some of whom have very interesting things to say!

    Depressed extroverts can definitley appear to be introverted- but sometimes happy extroverts can be semi-antisocial to the point where they appear introverted to others I suppose
    And there's the rub. I definitely prefer solitary activities and am jealous of my me-time. But I think that external things energize (or deflate) me to a not insignificant degree, probably as much as internal. Not just people, though. I guess I concluded introversion because I don't crave the external stimulus *that much* though I feel better with it. I often think "O.K. it was great talking to you. Now please keep it on a good note by not overstaying." Cue the antsiness. but I don't get lonely if alone for prolonged periods.
    hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.
    — Antoine de Saint-Exupery

  4. #24
    perdu fleur par bologne Martoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    1,361

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    Maybe happy people are extroverted...

    Generally speaking, if you strip away at it, E has a very strong (and biological) relationship to positive emotions. Meaning, extroverts will tend to be happier, by virtue of the definition being linked.

    It also means you cannot 'become' an extrovert to be happy, most likely.

    Introverts have more issues with depression than extroverts, fwiw. There is an interactive effect between introversion and neuroticism, too, so it isn't cut and dry, but it's pretty clear that it has a big influence.

    Having said all that, pure isolation also tends to make one depressed, and depressed introverts will certainly be prone to that.
    I agree with all of that. I think extroverts are more inclined to be overtly "happy", and yeah, introverts are more prone to depression.

    But an introvert can be quite content and enjoying life, even when they're alone. What gets tiresome is when flaming extroverts keep asking, "What's wrong?" or "What are you thinking?" just because you're not laughing raucously and hugging everyone within reach. The inside of my head is not the hell that they seem to envision.
    I'm not a procrastinator. I'm a long-term planner.

  5. #25
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    20,122

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IF3157 View Post
    And there's the rub. I definitely prefer solitary activities and am jealous of my me-time. But I think that external things energize (or deflate) me to a not insignificant degree, probably as much as internal. Not just people, though. I guess I concluded introversion because I don't crave the external stimulus *that much* though I feel better with it. I often think "O.K. it was great talking to you. Now please keep it on a good note by not overstaying." Cue the antsiness. but I don't get lonely if alone for prolonged periods.

    I never really feel lonely when alone, but I very rarely crave being alone when talking to others (unless they're god awful boring...). I guess I consider myself an extrovert because I judge myself from the outside as opposed to the inside, and I'm completely in my best element when entertaining a crowd and chatting with strangers.
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

  6. #26
    resonance entropie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    783
    Posts
    16,761

    Default

    I guess the whole point to the thing is that Extrovertism or Introvertism is a sort of lifestyle.

    While the meaning of the two words within function use relates to, as BlueWing puts it:

    Extroversion: An attitude defining the self in accordance to the standard of the external world.

    Introversion: An attitude defining the outer world in accordance to the standard of the self.

    ---

    That makes both, Life Extroverted Introverted Function Users and Life Introverted Extroverted Function Users possible
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

  7. #27
    Senior Member ptgatsby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Posts
    4,474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Martoon View Post
    But an introvert can be quite content and enjoying life, even when they're alone. What gets tiresome is when flaming extroverts keep asking, "What's wrong?" or "What are you thinking?" just because you're not laughing raucously and hugging everyone within reach. The inside of my head is not the hell that they seem to envision.
    I think it is best put that introverts can be as happy as an introvert can be by being introverted

    Even assuming introversion "happiness" is an absolute, which it isn't, introverts will want to have quiet and what not most of the time - otherwise, they are stressed and less happy. On the other hand, introverts need to be careful of the tendency to shut everything out - that reduces our ability to be happy as well.

  8. #28
    now! in shell form INA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    intp
    Posts
    3,198

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    Even assuming introversion "happiness" is an absolute, which it isn't, introverts will want to have quiet and what not most of the time - otherwise, they are stressed and less happy. On the other hand, introverts need to be careful of the tendency to shut everything out - that reduces our ability to be happy as well.
    Well said.
    hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.
    — Antoine de Saint-Exupery

  9. #29
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Here is an interesting situation.

    I have no doubts about me being an introvert, I know myself that well.

    But with all the life changes I've gone through, I've been called a social butterfly by a few people at least in the last few months. After years of being alone at home, not seeing anyone, I feel a compulsion to see people whenever I can now, which is so weird. I *like* being out with people -- although it's never the "big party" stuff, it's always the "one on one" or small gathering with friends. I hated being in the apartment alone; and all the time I used to spend doing projects through my years living an introverted lifestyle now left me feeling antsy, I badly just wanted to be around people.

    (I suppose that is part of a lifestyle change from living in a family relationship where you're never not in proximity to others to moving into a situation where no one else lives with you... maybe it was just feeling alone that made it bad.)

    It's just odd.
    I never hated being alone before, I tried to BE alone.
    Now I just usually like someone around, even if I'm not interacting with them.
    I still go through the "recharge" issues as an introvert, I get very drained from large social setting and after spending quality time with a friend or two, I get very drained as well and need to recharge.
    My guess is that as time passes and I continue to adjust, I'll be okay with "being alone" again. (And since i'm getting a roommate shortly, perhaps I'll stay in more too.)

    Just an interesting view of the introversion vs sociability index there, I suppose.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  10. #30
    resonance entropie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    783
    Posts
    16,761

    Default

    In my opinion the need for extroverted or introverted lifestyle changes constantly. There have been times in my life, I never missed a party and times I never missed a TV episode or good book.

    But the way you see the world and make your decisions according to MBTI theory is more rooted to be set, I think.

    Therefore MBTI tests asking you out, if you like to have wild parties and determining if you are E or I on that basis are BS
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Similar Threads

  1. Loneliness
    By Tayshaun in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 04-03-2017, 02:42 PM
  2. Confusing Functions.
    By Athenian200 in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 07-02-2007, 02:57 PM
  3. New depression treatment?
    By sdalek in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-07-2007, 03:12 PM
  4. Depression and causation
    By Littlelostnf in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 05-24-2007, 03:18 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO