User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 42

  1. #11
    Don't Judge Me! Haphazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    6,707

    Default

    It might make sense, then, that the reason why so many people think that introverts are perpetually depressed is because there are so many depressed extroverts that claim to be introverts.

    And Lord knows what that's doing for us.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

  2. #12
    meh Salomé's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    10,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    It might make sense, then, that the reason why so many people think that introverts are perpetually depressed is because there are so many depressed extroverts that claim to be introverts.

    And Lord knows what that's doing for us.
    in fairness, there are a gawd-awful lot of depressed introverts too...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

  3. #13
    no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    4,516

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
    in fairness, there are a gawd-awful lot of depressed introverts too...
    Where's that statistic?
    we fukin won boys

  4. #14
    no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    4,516

    Default

    People are nubz.

    Introvert does not mean anti-social, lonely, or depressed. If you've got an introvert who's surrounded himself in an environment which matches well with and caters to their introverted ideals, then they'll be far more inclined to be energetic... well basically all those things that are 'exclusive' to extraverts.

    Of course meeting those conditions is very hard, and for some, it's actually easier to find the conditions necessary to melt wood, but it's possible.
    I've seen it.

    So has everyone else, they just don't know what they've been looking at.
    we fukin won boys

  5. #15
    meh Salomé's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    10,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nocapszy View Post
    Where's that statistic?
    gawd-awful lot? that's from the "Heap Big Hokum" school of statistics
    everybody knows that!

    your barely veiled J-ness is raining sh*t on my happy place, i feel a depression coming on. i need to lie down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

  6. #16
    now! in shell form INA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    intp
    Posts
    3,198

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
    gawd-awful lot? that's from the "Heap Big Hokum" school of statistics
    everybody knows that!

    your barely veiled J-ness is raining sh*t on my happy place, i feel a depression coming on. i need to lie down.
    That made my afternoon.
    hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.
    — Antoine de Saint-Exupery

  7. #17
    perdu fleur par bologne Martoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    1,361

    Default

    I was reading the results on a study of happiness a while back (too lazy to try to find it now). There have been billions of studies on depression, but few on happiness - what do happy people have in common, etc.

    One of the big things they concluded is that happy people spend most of their time surrounded by friends and family. They're always with people. So if you want to be happy, be an extrovert.

    I have a strong suspicion this study was conducted by extroverts, who likely used extroverted tendencies as a metric of happiness. One thing I'm sure of; if I was always with people, I'd be decidedly unhappy.
    I'm not a procrastinator. I'm a long-term planner.

  8. #18
    Senior Member Kyrielle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    1,297

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Martoon View Post
    I was reading the results on a study of happiness a while back (too lazy to try to find it now). There have been billions of studies on depression, but few on happiness - what do happy people have in common, etc.

    One of the big things they concluded is that happy people spend most of their time surrounded by friends and family. They're always with people. So if you want to be happy, be an extrovert.

    I have a strong suspicion this study was conducted by extroverts, who likely used extroverted tendencies as a metric of happiness. One thing I'm sure of; if I was always with people, I'd be decidedly unhappy.
    Do you think a more accurate way to put that finding is people who are happy have stable relationships with friends and family? Even if you don't see them all the time, you still have them to be there for you. Wouldn't that contribute to the ever elusive feeling of belonging?

    Which also might be what they're driving at: happier people tend to feel like they belong somewhere regardless of their social tendencies.
    "I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference."

    Robert Frost

  9. #19
    Senior Member ptgatsby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Posts
    4,474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Martoon View Post
    One of the big things they concluded is that happy people spend most of their time surrounded by friends and family. They're always with people. So if you want to be happy, be an extrovert.
    Maybe happy people are extroverted...

    Generally speaking, if you strip away at it, E has a very strong (and biological) relationship to positive emotions. Meaning, extroverts will tend to be happier, by virtue of the definition being linked.

    It also means you cannot 'become' an extrovert to be happy, most likely.

    Introverts have more issues with depression than extroverts, fwiw. There is an interactive effect between introversion and neuroticism, too, so it isn't cut and dry, but it's pretty clear that it has a big influence.

    Having said all that, pure isolation also tends to make one depressed, and depressed introverts will certainly be prone to that.

  10. #20
    perdu fleur par bologne Martoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    1,361

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kyrielle View Post
    Do you think a more accurate way to put that finding is people who are happy have stable relationships with friends and family? Even if you don't see them all the time, you still have them to be there for you. Wouldn't that contribute to the ever elusive feeling of belonging?

    Which also might be what they're driving at: happier people tend to feel like they belong somewhere regardless of their social tendencies.
    I agree with that assertion, but in their report on their findings, they very clearly said that happy people spend most of their time around other people, and are seldom alone. They really pushed the "if you're not interacting socially most of the time, it's unhealthy" thing.
    I'm not a procrastinator. I'm a long-term planner.

Similar Threads

  1. Loneliness
    By Tayshaun in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 04-03-2017, 02:42 PM
  2. Confusing Functions.
    By Athenian200 in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 07-02-2007, 02:57 PM
  3. New depression treatment?
    By sdalek in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-07-2007, 03:12 PM
  4. Depression and causation
    By Littlelostnf in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 05-24-2007, 03:18 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO