User Tag List

12 Last

Default Emotional Pain and Consolation

Most of us come here for consolation.

Why do we need consoling?

We need to be consoled because we are in emotional pain.

Emotional pain is personally painful, it is socially embarrassing, and we deploy our ego to avoid emotional pain.

We perform all kinds of contortions to avoid emotional pain and find consolation. But most of all we seek people like ourselves in emotional pain, but denying it, seeking consolation.

One enormous price of denying emotional pain is that we avoid cognitive dissonance which is emotionally painful, and in avoiding cognitive dissonance we cripple our ability to learn.

And in avoiding emotional pain we avoid knowing about the emotional pain of others close to us. We avoid knowing about the emotional pain of our spouses and children and friends and work mates.

We avoid knowing how emotional pain controls our feelings, our thoughts, and our actions all during the day. We take this form of social control for granted.

And we avoid knowing the social dimension of emotional pain.

Emotional pain causes personal tension, and perhaps the first step to liberation is learning to relax. A good place to start is Relief Without Drugs, by Ainslie Mears, click on Relief Without Drugs by Ainslie Meares — Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Most of us come here for consolation.
    I dont. Just saying.
    It is a luxury to be understood - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities - Voltaire

A kind thought is the hope of the world - Anon
    Likes Population: 1 liked this post

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Why are you speaking for people in general? You don't know how people in general feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Lead Guitar Wankery View Post
    Why are you speaking for people in general? You don't know how people in general feel.
    I can think abstractly. This means I can think of two things at once. I can think of the general, and at the same time, think of the particular. By contrast, Lead Guitar Wankery, an appropriate avatar, can only think of one thing at a time. And interestingly, you parade your moral status by thinking politically correct thoughts, such as the politically correct injunction don't make generalisations.

So you parade your moral superiority by thinking one politically correct thought, while I think of two thoughts at the same time.

Notice the title of this thread: Emotional Pain and Consolation, containing two thoughts.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

We don't treat psychodrama here in this forum, you should try a therapist. A psychoanalyst to be more specific. You clearly need lots of consolations with more than 18K posts, that's a pretty bad number when it comes to consolation seeking. Your need to disregard everyone's opinion is, too, a quite bad sign.
    Also, since you can think abstractly: Can you think how painfully boring and pedantic you are?
    "If the truth shall kill them, let them die"

468: The Truth Teller [4w5 - 6w5 - 8w7].
    Ni 45.1|Ne 38.4|Ti 35.1|Te 33.2|Fi 32.1|Si 30.2|Se 29.2|Fe 18.8
    Likes rvfvclv, Yuu, agentwashington liked this post

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    I can think abstractly. This means I can think of two things at once. I can think of the general, and at the same time, think of the particular. By contrast, Lead Guitar Wankery, an appropriate avatar, can only think of one thing at a time. And interestingly, you parade your moral status by thinking politically correct thoughts, such as the politically correct injunction don't make generalisations.

So you parade your moral superiority by thinking one politically correct thought, while I think of two thoughts at the same time.

Notice the title of this thread: Emotional Pain and Consolation, containing two thoughts.
    None of this rambling diatribe makes any sense. Keep talking to yourself.
    Likes Ashtart, rvfvclv, Yuu liked this post

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

I personally don't come here for consolation. And as @shpotva pointed out, it really seems like you need lots of it. I wonder if your shitty attitude towards the members of this forum is your way of avoiding emotional pain. It would also explain why you're constantly ignoring what other people have to say... You deny it to avoid the emotional pain that would come with admitting you're wrong about something.
    9w8 4w5 5w4 | 945 | VOI-S | RCUAI | AoHiDeG | melancholic/phlegmatic | chaotic neutral | color code: white | the sage | thinker

"ALL THAT MATTERS IS THAT WE'RE ALL DOING TO DIE!"
    - BRITTA PERRY (COMMUNITY)
    Likes Ashtart, Yuu, agentwashington liked this post

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Socionics
    Duno None

Quote Originally Posted by shpotva View Post
    We don't treat psychodrama here in this forum, you should try a therapist. A psychoanalyst to be more specific. You clearly need lots of consolations with more than 18K posts, that's a pretty bad number when it comes to consolation seeking. Your need to disregard everyone's opinion is, too, a quite bad sign.
    Also, since you can think abstractly: Can you think how painfully boring and pedantic you are?
    I don't think he is looking for consultation so much as affirmation that he is so wise beyond his years. Calling everyone else stupid really is not the best way to go about that.

When we avoid the issue, when we avoid the topic, and attack the person, we know there is something wrong.

So you might tell us what's wrong, or you might address the topic.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

You were the one who didn't answer my questions. I'm certain I was fairly clear about what I think is wrong but I guess your abilities to think abstractly aren't that great afterall, so I will try to be more specific:
    You always address the people who answer to your threads in a quite rude manner, many times saying they aren't well educated, or can't think properly and so on. I'm yet to see you really addressing the topic in discussion instead of pintpointg faults in everyone's statements. You just keep making threads and then just ignore everyone who tries to participate, using it like some sort of diary to talk about pain, self-loathing and how superior you are in the most childish fashion. Which is ridiculous.
    I guess I made myself very clear know.