• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Emotional Pain and Consolation

Mole

Permabanned
Most of us come here for consolation.

Why do we need consoling?

We need to be consoled because we are in emotional pain.

Emotional pain is personally painful, it is socially embarrassing, and we deploy our ego to avoid emotional pain.

We perform all kinds of contortions to avoid emotional pain and find consolation. But most of all we seek people like ourselves in emotional pain, but denying it, seeking consolation.

One enormous price of denying emotional pain is that we avoid cognitive dissonance which is emotionally painful, and in avoiding cognitive dissonance we cripple our ability to learn.

And in avoiding emotional pain we avoid knowing about the emotional pain of others close to us. We avoid knowing about the emotional pain of our spouses and children and friends and work mates.

We avoid knowing how emotional pain controls our feelings, our thoughts, and our actions all during the day. We take this form of social control for granted.

And we avoid knowing the social dimension of emotional pain.

Emotional pain causes personal tension, and perhaps the first step to liberation is learning to relax. A good place to start is Relief Without Drugs, by Ainslie Mears, click on Relief Without Drugs by Ainslie Meares — Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists

Lead Guitar Wankery

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Why are you speaking for people in general? You don't know how people in general feel.

Mole

Permabanned
Why are you speaking for people in general? You don't know how people in general feel.

I can think abstractly. This means I can think of two things at once. I can think of the general, and at the same time, think of the particular. By contrast, Lead Guitar Wankery, an appropriate avatar, can only think of one thing at a time. And interestingly, you parade your moral status by thinking politically correct thoughts, such as the politically correct injunction don't make generalisations.

So you parade your moral superiority by thinking one politically correct thought, while I think of two thoughts at the same time.

Notice the title of this thread: Emotional Pain and Consolation, containing two thoughts.

Ashtart

Obliviously Mad
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
We don't treat psychodrama here in this forum, you should try a therapist. A psychoanalyst to be more specific. You clearly need lots of consolations with more than 18K posts, that's a pretty bad number when it comes to consolation seeking. Your need to disregard everyone's opinion is, too, a quite bad sign.
Also, since you can think abstractly: Can you think how painfully boring and pedantic you are?

Lead Guitar Wankery

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I can think abstractly. This means I can think of two things at once. I can think of the general, and at the same time, think of the particular. By contrast, Lead Guitar Wankery, an appropriate avatar, can only think of one thing at a time. And interestingly, you parade your moral status by thinking politically correct thoughts, such as the politically correct injunction don't make generalisations.

So you parade your moral superiority by thinking one politically correct thought, while I think of two thoughts at the same time.

Notice the title of this thread: Emotional Pain and Consolation, containing two thoughts.
None of this rambling diatribe makes any sense. Keep talking to yourself.

rvfvclv

awkward
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w8
I personally don't come here for consolation. And as [MENTION=33955]shpotva[/MENTION] pointed out, it really seems like you need lots of it. I wonder if your shitty attitude towards the members of this forum is your way of avoiding emotional pain. It would also explain why you're constantly ignoring what other people have to say... You deny it to avoid the emotional pain that would come with admitting you're wrong about something.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
We don't treat psychodrama here in this forum, you should try a therapist. A psychoanalyst to be more specific. You clearly need lots of consolations with more than 18K posts, that's a pretty bad number when it comes to consolation seeking. Your need to disregard everyone's opinion is, too, a quite bad sign.
Also, since you can think abstractly: Can you think how painfully boring and pedantic you are?

I don't think he is looking for consultation so much as affirmation that he is so wise beyond his years. Calling everyone else stupid really is not the best way to go about that.

Mole

Permabanned
When we avoid the issue, when we avoid the topic, and attack the person, we know there is something wrong.

So you might tell us what's wrong, or you might address the topic.

Ashtart

Obliviously Mad
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You were the one who didn't answer my questions. I'm certain I was fairly clear about what I think is wrong but I guess your abilities to think abstractly aren't that great afterall, so I will try to be more specific:
You always address the people who answer to your threads in a quite rude manner, many times saying they aren't well educated, or can't think properly and so on. I'm yet to see you really addressing the topic in discussion instead of pintpointg faults in everyone's statements. You just keep making threads and then just ignore everyone who tries to participate, using it like some sort of diary to talk about pain, self-loathing and how superior you are in the most childish fashion. Which is ridiculous.
I guess I made myself very clear know.

rvfvclv

awkward
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w8
You were the one who didn't answer my questions. I'm certain I was fairly clear about what I think is wrong but I guess your abilities to think abstractly aren't that great afterall, so I will try to be more specific:
You always address the people who answer to your threads in a quite rude manner, many times saying they aren't well educated, or can't think properly and so on. I'm yet to see you really addressing the topic in discussion instead of pintpointg faults in everyone's statements. You just keep making threads and then just ignore everyone who tries to participate, using it like some sort of diary to talk about pain, self-loathing and how superior you are in the most childish fashion. Which is ridiculous.
I guess I made myself very clear know.

THIS. I agree with every word.

You have appointed yourself as spiritual guru of TypeC. A position no one asked to be filled and one at which you do an abysmal job. I could find more enlightenment in a box of Crackerjacks and more useful information under the cap of a Snapple. Both would also offer less commentary dripping with snide superiority.

Mole

Permabanned
There are five trolls acting in concert on my thread, this is called group bullying, and I have done the right thing and put them on Ignore and notified the moderators.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There are five trolls acting in concert on my thread, this is called group bullying, and I have done the right thing and put them on Ignore and notified the moderators.
Behaviors prohibited by forum rules do not include disagreeing with a member, questioning a member, or criticising his PoV. Your right to express your ideas freely is balanced by the right of other members to take issue with them. If this bothers you then you have indeed done the right thing by placing those members on ignore. Rest assured the modstaff are following this thread and will take whatever action the evolving situation warrants.