• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Different Kinds of Creativity

Mole

Permabanned
Marci keynoted at one of the type conferences and got us into trios where we had to "sell products" to each other. No warning--she'd announce the topic and you had to start your sales pitch right away. Mine was selling orthodontia work for centipedes. Another had something to do with elephants. The whole room had a blast. Her preferences are ISTP. If you EVER have a chance to hear her, jump on it. Her site is
CreativityLand :: content :: main

Creativity is mere nostalgia.

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Creativity is mere nostalgia.

Creativity is consciously doing something unexpected.

Creativity is doing something different, which can be good or bad.

Creativity is figuring out something enjoyable/satisfying/effective/doable when life sucks.

Creativity is digging yourself out of a hole.

Creativity is finding your own fun.

wolfy

awsm
Creativity is . . .

Common definition from Webster's - Creativity is marked by the ability or power to create�to bring into existence, to invest with a new form, to produce through imaginative skill, to make or bring into existence something new.

Carl Rodgers (psychologist an writer) -- The emergence of a novel, relational product, growing out of the uniqueness of the individual.

Henry Miller ( writer) -- The occurrence of a composition which is both new and valuable.

John Haefele (CEO and entrepreneur) -- The ability to make new combinations of social worth.

Newell, Simon, & Shaw (team of logic theorists) -- A special class of problem solving characterized by novelty.

H. H. Fox (scientist) -- Any thinking process in which original patterns are formed and expressed.

Rollo May (writer, philosopher) - Creativity is the process of bringing something new into being...

Roger von Oech - Creative thinking involves imagining familiar things in a new light, digging below the surface to find previously undetected patterns, and finding connections among unrelated phenomena.

Carnevale, Gainer, Meltzer - ... the ability to use different modes of thought to generate new and dynamic ideas and solutions

To be creative is to be human.

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
I admire creatives. I'm a bit envious too. But I don't resent them.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I'm having such a hard time pinning this all down.

The adjective 'creative' has turned into something so bland. It's even become an insult. It's a concept that's easy to understand but just doesn't seem to mean anything when applied anymore.

Oleander

MBTI Type
INFP
Yes, when 'creative' can be applied to something as filthy as selling then it has lost all meaning. The whole essence of selling is overcoming somebody else's honest assessment with your own patter for something that exists already, 'creative' only in the sense of a new Nigerian scam. I now realise that 'sell' is the most obscene word in the English language.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
What does that mean. Try to make sense to the "simple folk", as Lucifer put it.

"Remote Association seems to involve an ability to rapidly pull together disparate elements not normally encountered together to solve problems without needing logical linkages between the elements of solution. People who are good remote associators have a knack for seeing connections that cannot be explained by extrapolation."

wolfy

awsm
Remote association is only one aspect of creativity. Lateral and divergent thinking.

Mole

Permabanned
"It's me or her!"

Your posts are abstract art.

I remember when I broke up with my girlfriend. She said, "It's either me or her!". But my girlfriend was mistaken. It wasn't her or her, it was my inner life or her. And I chose my inner life.

It's the same when I post here. It's either you or my inner life - and I choose my inner life.

Of course I would prefer to have my girlfriend and my inner life. Just as I would prefer to have you and my inner life. But so far I haven't been able to put the two together.

I choose my inner life because it constantly bubbles up - and when listen, I relax - and when I listen, I become enlivened.

So my inner life relaxes and enlivens me.

And to my surprise and yours, it seems to hit the page as abstract art.

And the words, "abstract", and, "art", always seem to me to be contradictory - and together they don't make sense.

Just as my posts don't make sense, it would appear.

LostInNerSpace

MBTI Type
INTP
Did not read the thread. Technical creativity solves problems. Technical creativity is thinker creativity. Artistic creativity is arty farty feeler creativity.

Of couse you can have abstract art. Dali is the obvious artist that comes to mind. An image of a red square would count as abstract art if it hangs on a wall or in a gallery. Concrete art would be of something real, like a tree or some kind of scene.

Last edited:
V

violaine

These aren't mutually exclusive though, you can be both 'technically' creative and 'artistically' creative.

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Did not read the thread. Technical creativity solves problems. Technical creativity is thinker creativity. Artistic creativity is arty farty feeler creativity.

Of couse you can have abstract art. Dali is the obvious artist that comes to mind. An image of a red square would count as abstract art if it hangs on a wall or in a gallery. Concrete art would be of something real, like a tree or some kid of scene.

Creatively solving problems that involve people, relationships, and communication can also be a form of Feeling creativity. And since logic is seldom helpful, each case is unique and there is no pattern to follow...a wonderful petri dish for creativity:cool:

Mole

Permabanned
Scaffolding

What happens when you leave creativity behind?

Well then you don't know what to do.

So we cling like a vine to creativity rather than launching ourselves into space.

Creativity becomes a scaffolding by which we measure ourselves.

And we devote ourselves to elaborating and iterating the scaffolding.

We climb all over the scaffolding - poking here and poking there - all the time surrounded by free, open space.

Until, eventually, we become the scaffolding.

Until we are proud to be scaffolding.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Are you Conceptualist or Experimentalist ? ( See linked article in OP Post #1 for meaning of these phrases. )
Me? Yes, I did read the link. Well now lets see....am I a conceptual genius or an experimental genius...these things are so difficult to disentangle...

Seriously, I don't think I am creative at all. I mean, I have a temperament conducive to creativity, and I have some skillz, sometimes I can solve problems in reasonably creative ways, but I don't have ambition and I don't work hard enough, and I'm just not that exceptional. I don't think many people are truly creative in a meaningful way. (Crocheting doilies and decorating greeting cards with glitter is NOT creative!!! It's just bloody annoying.) Most people don't have an original thought in their entire lives, let alone produce work of great originality. I know I haven't, and the more education you absorb, the more you realize that there really is nothing new under the sun. But occasionally, but really occasionally, someone comes along with the right combination of attributes and life experience and does have an original thought, or an original artistic idea, or perhaps there is no artistic output as such, but their life is a work of art. These are the only people worthy of the term.

I mean, technically, pro-creating is creative, but any moron can do that (no offense intended to those morons who can't).
Which countries seem to value artists enough to be supportive of the "seedlings" ( fledgling artists that must be cultivated to an extent so as to always have some new voices in development ) ??
Do true artists need to be "cultivated"? I thought they liked to starve...most of the great minds have had it hard, they haven't had the establishment's support or approval. Art always finds a way.
dHow is it in Europe ? Do you Europeans hear ( conversely ) that it is, in fact, American audiences that one should try to get access to ? One hears vaguely about France supporting jazz musicians that the USA had marginalized. That artists in Russia risked their very lives to get work out during the colder days there. What other countries fit this model ? Is it still true about France ?
In Europe, we are a bit snobbish about USA and it’s deleterious effect on culture globally (this cannot have failed to escape your notice). Doesn't stop us consuming a lot of the trash you guys churn out though! I find the Nordic peoples very creative/individualistic. I don't believe France is the cultural capital it likes to think it is, but I can quite believe they'd be happy to support anything the USA had marginalized.

American audiences are only desirable because of their $$$$$, not because of their discrimination. And China seems to be becoming more important in this regard.

I think it is still pretty cold in Russia ;)

I'm not a connoisseur. But I did live in the midwest for a bit and it felt like a cultural desert. I realized how lucky I am, I have such riches on my doorstep to ignore.

Modern art leaves me cold. I don't know if I'm just a philistine or if the emperor really has no clothes, but I don't like his thong.

Our most successful (highest paid) artist is Damien Hirst - and he doesn't even create his own works, I mean, polka dots and cows/sheep/sharks in formaldehyde, puhhlease! Even if that was an interesting idea the first time around, it's pretty tired now.
In general the arts aren't well-funded in the UK, at least, the artists are always complaining that they're not.

You'll be aware of The Turner Prize where artists compete to see who can come up with the most inane/controversial "concept" to p*ss the public off. Light's turning on and off. People running in corridors. Tea-cups smashing. Pile of pants. (the last was a judgement, not an entry - although nothing would surprise me...)

[Disclaimer: Any national stereotypes implied, real or imagined, are entirely imaginary]

kuranes

MBTI Type
XNXP
It can be no one else than Paris Hilton.

Everyone knows Paris is not creative - and everyone knows Paris.
Oh what is a good girl and boy to do?
Is Paris then the "eyeful" of your "the Bordello is everywhere now" ?

Creativity becomes a scaffolding by which we measure ourselves.

And we devote ourselves to elaborating and iterating the scaffolding.

We climb all over the scaffolding - poking here and poking there - all the time surrounded by free, open space.

Until, eventually, we become the scaffolding.
Or is our very own Hilton Tower merely the scaffolding of the Eiffel she attempts to "trump" ?

Until we are proud to be scaffolding.
Like bad boys and girls.