• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Alternatives to "Are you Okay?"

Atomic Fiend

"Is anything bothering you? You can talk to me you know" is usually my line.

I want to say this is your best bet, it's clear and concise in intent and meaning. "Are you Okay?" is as already stated a line many people expect anyone to say out of courtesy not out of geniune concern for one's person. You also have to account for the fact that some people will not open up to you just because you're not who they want to open up to, maybe they don't want to burdon you. This line addresses it directly, declaring you are open to listening. If you're really concerned about someones well being and don't want to be overbearing this is the go to line.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
one that works on me but has to be said in an empathetic voice "how are you really doing?"

VILLANELLE

MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I don't really like either question, if I'm okay, or if I need something, because then it puts pressure on me. I'm not into mind-games, I don't expect people to jump through hoops or read my mind, but I feel if anyone feels obligated to do something for a suffering person, like, if they want to do something.. to just do it. That's all.

I also, to add to the conversation, I tend to just offer myself up if anyone wants to chat, or something. If they don't, they don't, and I guess it's fine. I understand.

Yay

MBTI Type
INFP
"You look upset, is there any way I can help?"

"You haven't been acting like yourself recently, is something going on that's upsetting you?"

" You seem torn down about something and If I can help let me know"

I can think of more alternatives, usually I don't ask people that question anyway, If someone isn't close enough to you they might just smile and nod (that's what I do) because they don't trust you enough to open up to you or they don't wanna burden you with their problems.