User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

Default Quick question for older people.

Do you think perceptions of mental illness have changed over the last twenty years? Ten years? How people with it are treated, attitudes about needing help? When it's in adults, and when it's a kid who is struggling?

I wasn't able to observe this due to being too young that long ago.
    4w3 6w5 1w2 sx/sp ISFP

RLOAX (don't do it)
    Melancholic Hufflepuff
    A lonely island where only what is permitted to move moves, becomes an ideal. Jung

Kiss Kiss [johari] Bang Bang [nohari]

MBTI
    yupp

I think over all people are more accepting of it, but not completely and there's still a lot of mistrust around meds and i dunno if that'll we'll ever fully go away. its like a misunderstanding of people who need them aren't just lazy and it doesn't make them zombies. for me allows me to function, but at the same time some of the things aren't accepted still and there's still a ton of stereotypes. but to be fair i was also young 10 years ago. 20 i was just a kid.
    I've just noticed a difference with how i was treated 7 years ago vs now and now people are more accepting and don't go are you sure? you just need sleep
    ps how old is old?
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so
    Likes Video, Frosty, Gentleman Jack liked this post

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    ps how old is old?
    Roughly, someone who was older than a kid in the 90s.

But thanks - kids still notice things. I may have too, but wasn't sure if it was just me.
    4w3 6w5 1w2 sx/sp ISFP

RLOAX (don't do it)
    Melancholic Hufflepuff
    A lonely island where only what is permitted to move moves, becomes an ideal. Jung

Kiss Kiss [johari] Bang Bang [nohari]
    Likes prplchknz, Gentleman Jack liked this post

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Video View Post
    Roughly, someone who was older than a kid in the 90s.

But thanks - kids still notice things. I may have too, but wasn't sure if it was just me.
    yeah i was a 90s kid. i figured i didn't fit your demographic but thought i'd answer anyways.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so
    Likes Video liked this post

SpaceCadetGoldStarBrigade Population: 1's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

80's kid/teen reporting. A lot of things are more acceptable now. When I was a kid so many things were just not discussed, including mental illness. Also being homosexual, atheist, asexual, pagan, transgender, the list goes on. If you couldn't define yourself in terms of being the all American you just kept your mouth shut. There were counterculture groups. I was a second wave punk with mohawk, Doc Martens, leather jacket and all that. I can't remember the amount of shit I caught.

Anyway society was starting to shift in the 80's just slowly but even now clinical depression and other mental issues can be viewed with a stigma attached. People are often ignorant of the varieties and intricacies of mental illness and there's this tendency to just lump different problems together. Still I think there's definitely a willingness to discuss it more. Back then it was always done so in hushed tones and they treated the person like they're mentally unstable in a potentially violent way. People seemed to view any problem as if it were the most extreme case. The availability of knowledge we have now has definitely helped.

Then of course there's the family reputation to think about. People were and I think still are worried about how they'll be judged because someone they love has a mental health issue. Anyway I hope that helps.
    To give real service you must add something which cannot be bought or measured with money, and that is sincerity and integrity. Douglas Adams

As per orders of the No likes experiment I am not liking posts for the duration.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Yes, I think the Internet has became a haven for all that we rarely spoke of prior to its gain in popularity. It's much easier to open up to people via social media and forums, whether we know them irl or not. Over time, I think it has become more broadly acceptable to speak of our struggles and pain and I don't see that going anywhere but up so to speak. There are also a lot of campaigns/organizations whose mission is to raise awareness of mental illness.

I was born in '85, btw, and I can tell you that when I was in high school, we didn't really talk about depression or anxiety and there were plenty of LGBTQ teens essentially living lies out of fear. I have a lot of hope for this movement as I have seen a lot of progress already. We all just have to keep fighting the good fight.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Video View Post
    Do you think perceptions of mental illness have changed over the last twenty years? Ten years? How people with it are treated, attitudes about needing help? When it's in adults, and when it's a kid who is struggling?

I wasn't able to observe this due to being too young that long ago.
    Yes. I'm an "older person" and I also work in healthcare. I can tell you that first, it's more widely and openly discussed which removed stigma (there is still work to do in that area). I think in younger people, it's taken far more seriously than it once was. Also in older people. I think the first step is still the difficult hurdle it always was. Provider availability as well as funding is still an issue too. But overall it's better than it was even 10 years ago and there is much less urge to only throw meds at it.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

Sheriff of Fabletown... Gentleman Jack's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    837 sx
    Socionics
    SLE Se

Yes, things have changed. Quite a bit. Though toward what end yet...I am uncertain....it seems positive...
    With all Due Respect,
    -Jack

I am the Cat who walks by himself, and all places are alike to me...

I've never been nice my whole life, but I'll do my best... to be sweet...

A Gentleman is simply a patient Wolf...

On a gathering storm comes a tall handsome man; in a dusty black coat with a red right hand...
    Likes Video liked this post

MBTI
    ESFJ

I think overall things will get better as we learn more about mental disorders and advances in treatment take place. I think ummm that however it will have to be well funded and I do think government should fund more into mental health.
    Likes Gentleman Jack liked this post

Sheriff of Fabletown... Gentleman Jack's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    837 sx
    Socionics
    SLE Se

Quote Originally Posted by Cat Brainz View Post
    I think overall things will get better as we learn more about mental disorders and advances in treatment take place. I think ummm that however it will have to be well funded and I do think government should fund more into mental health.
    I don't necessarily agree with that, but I'm not entirely unbiased in that regard, so I should perhaps recuse myself, it's a fair point Brain, and perhaps it could be beneficial, but my experiences have me distrustful of it.
    With all Due Respect,
    -Jack

I am the Cat who walks by himself, and all places are alike to me...

I've never been nice my whole life, but I'll do my best... to be sweet...

A Gentleman is simply a patient Wolf...

On a gathering storm comes a tall handsome man; in a dusty black coat with a red right hand...
    Likes magpie, Cat Brainz liked this post