User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

Default The more expensive the ring, the shorter the marriage

Study: The more expensive the ring, the shorter the marriage

MACON, Ga. (WLUK) -- Emory University professors recently surveyed 3,000 people who have been married and found that the more a couple spends on a wedding ring, the shorter the marriage.

The study found that men who spend $2,000 to $4,000 on a ring are 1.3 times more likely to get divorced compared to men who buy rings worth $500 to $2,000.

Ryan Iyer at Forever Diamonds in Macon said that despite the study, he's seen plenty of men still married to the women they spent a lot of money on.

"Seventeen years back when we started the store and had the customers buy and purchase the big rings, pricey rings, and now we've seen their kids purchase big rings," Iyer said. "It means they're still together and they're doing something right."

In the past, men used to spend about three months salary on an engagement ring, but that isn't necessarily the case anymore.

Michael and Chelsea Nelson have been married three months and decided not to get ring in order to spend money on other things, like a home.

"We didn't feel we had to get rings to signify our commitment to each other," Chelsea Nelson said. "Our love is our bond, not just a piece of medal."

Iyer said many couples upgrade rings over time.

"There are customers who come in every other year and keep upgrading to a point now that they have a ring that is $5,000 that they've upgraded over 10 to 12 years," Iyer said.

As for the Nelsons, getting a ring isn't at the top of the To Do list.

"Maybe one day," Nelson said. "It's not really a pressing issue."

According to the study, if you spend more than $20,000 on a ring, you're 3.5 times more likely to get a divorce compared to couples who spend $5,000 to $10,000.
    Likes Tellenbach liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

I don't necessarily disagree with this study. But I have more than one ring, none of them were more than 5k. But our wedding was probably less than 5k also, I think that plays an even bigger role.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.
    Likes Grand Admiral Crunch liked this post

This would be the actual conclusion extracted from the paper. I'd link it but closed the tab prior.

4. Conclusion

The wedding industry has consistently sought to link wedding spending with long-lasting
    marriages. This paper is the first to examine this relationship statistically. We find that marriage
    duration is either not associated or inversely associated with spending on the engagement ring
    and wedding ceremony. Overall, our findings provide little evidence to support the validity of the
    wedding industry’s general message that connects expensive weddings with positive marital
    outcomes. In future research, it may be useful to construct a population-representative
    longitudinal sample of dating couples, following them through the multiple stages of their
    relationship and gathering prospective information on wedding expenses and marital quality.

"The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke
    Likes bechimo liked this post

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by andante View Post
    This would be the actual conclusion extracted from the paper. I'd link it but closed the tab prior.
    I prefer the conclusion that's in the OP better. It annoys me when women with expensive rings think they've got something on me.

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Grand Admiral Crunch View Post
    I prefer the conclusion that's in the OP better. It annoys me when women with expensive rings think they've got something on me.
    they don't unless the put a ring on you then you have to marry or dramatically throw it in their face and storm out crying on how it'll never work out and they don't understand you.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so
    Likes Grand Admiral Crunch liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

I never saw it like that. I see it like they are trying to convince themselves of something.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.
    Likes Grand Admiral Crunch, iwakar, Redbone liked this post

No opinion about it in any way beyond the acknowledgement that financial stress is one of the top, if not the top reason for divorces.

I don't envy other people.

como ningúna otra. Littleclaypot's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    297 so/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Fe

this could possibly be true..
    I don't understand buying expensive rings and spending thousands of dollars on a wedding. Going to the court house and spending that money on an epic trip sounds better. :-D
    "Keep away from people who belittle your ambitions; small people always do that. The truly great make you feel that you, too, can become great." -Mark Twain

Ni>Fe>Ne>Fi>Si>Te>Ti>Se

http://kevan.org/johari?name=ms1204
    Likes MDP2525, geedoenfj liked this post

The part that bothers me about the study would be the concrete dollar ranges they used, instead of expressing the amount spent as a percentage of annual income.
    Likes Smilephantomhive, geedoenfj liked this post