• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Stalking

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Know how to use knives? Two things I wish for were the ability to carry swords and the ability to aquire a daimond impregneted titanium steel blade forged kitana style. Could probalby rip through car bodies very nicely with that. I should stop dreaming...

Alpha Prime

MBTI Type
XXXX
Enneagram
XXXX
Not quite sure where to put this...but those who do it are messed up.

I was walking my brazilian mastiff "puppy" (60 lbs at 3.5 months, mind you) around town this morning and this guy came out of nowhere and started walking behind us. Not a big deal at first...just a bit startling. So we're taking some quieter, nicer side streets that run parallel to the main road. My dog keeps looking back at this guy and grunting. I'm just trying to get on with the walk. This guy follows us the whole time on the opposite side walk, just far back enough for it to look obvious that I'm watching him. I decided to head for the main road to get out in public. He continues to follow me and when I finally stop along the main street so I can get him in front of me, he comes to my side of the street, cuts across us maybe 6 feet away, into the street, and heads into town. I was royally freaked. He was an older guy, too. I reported the incident to the cops a bit afterwards, but honestly, where do people get off doing this kind of stuff? My gut (and my dog) say he was following me, so I'm not questioning that. I live in a relatively small, quiet town where not much happens crime wise. We have the usual sex offenders...one right down the street, but I never really expected this to happen. Doesn't help that I'm nearly 20 years old and look like Im 16.

1. So my question to you all is, have you ever been followed/stalked? What did you do? How did you react? What do you think goes on in the sick minds of those who commit these sort of acts?

2. I feel like my sense of personal security has been stolen. I hope Titan (my pup!) eats him or anyone else who even thinks about doing this again.

1. They are all needy, weak and pathetic people. In real life, I give them a chance by ignoring them, completely. If they don't get the hint, I express my thoughts to the person directly. Still getting stalked? It's time to ask myself what Wayne Brady is known for - which I may have to do, tomorrow. :woot:

2. Why don't you get a bigger, and hungrier dog?

Headstrong

MBTI Type
INTJ
2. Why don't you get a bigger, and hungrier dog?

Oh, he is plenty hungry (6+cups of food a day). We just have to wait on the "big" part. Though, 75-80lbs at 4 months is nothing to sneeze at.

As a general update: I have not seen this guy since. Hopefully it stays this way.

Apollanaut

Senior Mugwump
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I experienced a nasty incident when I was a teenager (long before the days of cellphones). I was walking home at night when a 30ish man started following me. Now I'm a 6ft 2in tall male and walk very fast, yet this guy caught up to me easily and started talking to me. Casual stuff at first, then he asked if I would go back to his place to help him fix a burst water pipe (yeah, right!).

After I refused he grabbed me in the genital region - lightning fast, no warning whatsoever! I was stunned and frightened, but kept walking after he let go. His chat then turned nasty and sexually threatening, until he grabbed hold of me again and tried to force me into an alleyway. After a brief struggle, I managed to fight him off and he took off at top speed. Never saw him again, but the whole incident was deeply unsettling.

To this day I hate being closely followed by anyone. If I'm walking with a group of people, I will gradually gravitate to the back of the group so that no-one is behind me. Apart from that I've put the incident behind me. My best suggestion to you is to always maintain a level of awareness when walking outdoors. I'm not a paranoid person, but there are a certain number of crazies out there, and what makes them dangerous is their unpredictability. By staying alert, as you ably did in the story you described, you are able to make quick decisions and alter your route to make it more difficult for these stalkers.

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
i remember when i was in HS. i had a crush on a chick and i guess i was a borderline stalker. i didn't follow her home or anything, but whenever i saw her during school, i would stick around just to get to see her longer. i know that sounds horrible and i know that sounds creepy, but honestly, she just brightened every room she was in. i was so overcome by her i just wanted to see her. in retrospect, it's not the best idea, but damn, my intentions were pure :(

Apollanaut

Senior Mugwump
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i remember when i was in HS. i had a crush on a chick and i guess i was a borderline stalker. i didn't follow her home or anything, but whenever i saw her during school, i would stick around just to get to see her longer. i know that sounds horrible and i know that sounds creepy, but honestly, she just brightened every room she was in. i was so overcome by her i just wanted to see her. in retrospect, it's not the best idea, but damn, my intentions were pure :(

I don't see that as the same thing as stalking! It actually sounds quite normal to want to be around someone you admire, as long as it doesn't get too obsessive :wubbie:

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
I don't see that as the same thing as stalking! It actually sounds quite normal to want to be around someone you admire, as long as it doesn't get too obsessive :wubbie:

aww thanks. if only she saw it the same way :D

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
So my question to you all is, have you ever been followed/stalked? What did you do? How did you react? What do you think goes on in the sick minds of those who commit these sort of acts?

I feel like my sense of personal security has been stolen. I hope Titan (my pup!) eats him or anyone else who even thinks about doing this again.

Well, it has never happened to me, but I'm always paranoid that it will... so I try to limit the amount of time I spend outside. I don't know how I would react, but I know I would be scared. I'm sorry to hear that happened to you.

Their minds... well, there's only three answers I can see:

1. They're simply curious about whether they can follow someone without being detected, and how well they can figure out someone's routine. There aren't many reputable applications of this skill, and you may or may not be the target.

2. They want something you have, and are waiting until you're in a position that they can take it from you. They simply have no empathy or sense of guilt to stop them from thinking this way.

3. They're obsessed with you, and either want to know as much about you as they can, or simply like watching you. This may or may not end up in them eventually making themselves a problem in your life, but it's definitely not a proper or healthy expression of interest in someone.

In any case, their motives are not likely to be good. :(

LadyJaye

Scream down the boulevard
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Pink and I have been stalked by a guy at the church we were attending - he showed up at our work, he showed up at a pool hall I was at with some friends ( which means he was looking for our car, which was a distinctive blue VW, but it's not like our city is small ), he called our house. When he showed up at our house, it was the final straw and I went outside and threatened to tear him up. Fortunately my rage made him back up and get back in his car, but it was not a good idea for me to have confronted him alone. Had I not been blisteringly angry, I should have thought the better of it.

I've also had a guy follow Pink and me while we were walking with a friend - I knew the guy was trouble because I noticed him immediately and his presence felt menacing. The I caught him following behind us, so I turned around and made a scene, yelling at him and telling him that I was on to him, and that if I caught him behind us again, I would call the police. I thought that was the end of him - we finished our walk, and Pink and I went back to our car and drove to visit a friend. Well, when I pulled into the parking lot, a car parks right in front of us, and it was the same guy. It was definitely an attempt at intimidation. It made me so angry I went started yelling at him through our windshield, grabbed a wrench out of the floorboard and started to get out of the car. But fortunately, Pink prevented me. It would have been extremely foolish to confront him. But I've had strangers do so many creepy things, I tend to get irate.

Bottom line - if someone is making you feel uncomfortable, trust you instincts and protect yourself, no matter how foolish or overboard it may seem to you - go find help if someone is scaring you, no matter how silly you feel, because your instincts are almost always right. And don't be afraid to make a scene either.

alicia91

Yes, I was the victim of a creep in high school - not sure if it's stalking or some other thing. How it started was that I began to receive very strange phone calls from a man who claimed to be a single father who had seen my babysitting advertisment at a grocery store. He wanted to chat and asked a lot of questions about me like he was trying to get to know me and see if I would be a suitable babysitter. I thought he sounded weird and also very young to be a father - probably not much older than me. He called a couple of times then stopped.

I had a bedroom window on the main floor of our house and the rest of my family had upstair bedrooms. For some reason the head of my bed was right under the window. I had one of those roller blinds on the window but you could perhaps still see a little bit around it. Anyhow, one night I woke up because I thought I heard a faint knocking right above my head. I ignored it. A couple of night later it happened again but I was much to scared to pull up the shade. One night I woke my parents and they just didn't believe me. Finally I begged my parents to sleep in my bedroom and indeed they heard the tapping! My dad decided to run a piece of string from two bushes on either side of the window. The next day it had snowed and the string was broken also there was a set of footprints and dogprints. They led from our driveway to my window, then through my backyard then out to the park behind the house.

A few weeks later the calls started again this time someone asked for me, and when I got on the phone I was told that next time I'm out jogging, that he was going to 'get me.' This happened about 3-4 times per week. At this point we went to the police but they said that unless this person called several times per day that they wouldn't do anything. At this point I was almost too scared to leave the house. Eventually it just stopped. All of this happened over about a 6 month period.

amorali

MBTI Type
INTJ
There is also a background of that in my life.
Just reading the thread brings up those fear responses, quickening pulse of the heart etc.
You best be careful coz these guys can make you think everything is ok then catch you by surprise. If they see you some days maybe at the supermarket they can actually develop a grudge over time.
Be aware that mastiffs I've been told don't always make the best guard dogs. They need to be trained. If he knows this it won't stop him.
Carry pepper spray, change your route often, carry your mobile, train the dog.
There are police suggestions that might sound icky but could save you from a great many situations. If you want to hear them I don't mind typing them out. However embarrassing it is to say on a public forum!
These people often get it into their heads that what they're doing is romantic (?) so those police suggestions can ruin the illusion for them.

Neo Genesis

MBTI Type
InFp
Enneagram
4w5
I'd absolutely flip shit if anyone tried to do anything similar to any of the girls I know. I definitely suggest carrying some kind of protection from now on. Honestly, how fucked up are these people?