User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: Stalking

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Headstrong View Post
    No one else. Did the "we're/we" confuse you? By that I meant my dog and I. You could probably make a case for including the guy in the "we," though, too.

To everyone else: I'm sure a(n) (attractive) girl doing the stalking would be a better situation, maybe even enjoyable. Heck, I'd even go for an attractive guy. But alas, I got the male 55 year + variety.
    Oh, gotcha.

If you see him again, face him at 90 degree angle, put your hands on your hips and ask, WHY ARE YOU FOLLOWING ME?

Don't seem like easy prey.

MBTI
    INFP

Not quite sure where to put this...but those who do it are messed up.

I was walking my brazilian mastiff "puppy" (60 lbs at 3.5 months, mind you) around town this morning and this guy came out of nowhere and started walking behind us. Not a big deal at first...just a bit startling. So we're taking some quieter, nicer side streets that run parallel to the main road. My dog keeps looking back at this guy and grunting. I'm just trying to get on with the walk. This guy follows us the whole time on the opposite side walk, just far back enough for it to look obvious that I'm watching him. I decided to head for the main road to get out in public. He continues to follow me and when I finally stop along the main street so I can get him in front of me, he comes to my side of the street, cuts across us maybe 6 feet away, into the street, and heads into town. I was royally freaked. He was an older guy, too. I reported the incident to the cops a bit afterwards, but honestly, where do people get off doing this kind of stuff? My gut (and my dog) say he was following me, so I'm not questioning that. I live in a relatively small, quiet town where not much happens crime wise. We have the usual sex offenders...one right down the street, but I never really expected this to happen. Doesn't help that I'm nearly 20 years old and look like Im 16.

So my question to you all is, have you ever been followed/stalked? What did you do? How did you react? What do you think goes on in the sick minds of those who commit these sort of acts?

I feel like my sense of personal security has been stolen. I hope Titan (my pup!) eats him or anyone else who even thinks about doing this again.

Seriously, I don't get it either. I'm a university student and I was taking public transportation from school on a totally packed bus, and this old guy sits next to me and starts talking to me about waaay too much stuff. Freaks me the crap out. And after I get off the bus and try to scurry away, he keeps following me. I try to divert him and stuff, but I still need to go on a second bus home... I ended up taking a completely different bus to avoid him (after I saw him get on the bus I was supposed to go on). It was full daylight and there were tons of people, so I'm relieved about that, but I couldn't figure out why he would do that. He was telling me how his girlfriend left him, etc etc... probably wanted to creep some random girl out as revenge. I felt like taking a picture but felt it'd be too obvious, and I didn't really end up doing anything about it except telling my mom why she had to pick me up somewhere random.

Also another situation, it wasn't really stalking, but I knew this guy who was a tad too obsessed with me. It was DISTURBING. I get really easily disturbed in general if someone expresses some kind of possible unwanted interest in me, and this was too much. I was physically creeped out. My body was like 'nooooooooooo' *shudder*. I understand his situation more though because he was my age.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I've never had an incident where someone was outright stalking me. I'm not even sure what I'd do if it did happen.. since I tend to be paranoid about silly stuff, people probably wouldn't believe me at first.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    Oh, then I don't envy you.
    Yeah I don't think there are too many babes out there really stalking guys.

violaine

So my question to you all is, have you ever been followed/stalked? What did you do? How did you react? What do you think goes on in the sick minds of those who commit these sort of acts?

I feel like my sense of personal security has been stolen. I hope Titan (my pup!) eats him or anyone else who even thinks about doing this again.
    I've had weird encounters since I was about 15... it makes me feel the same way, once it gets past a certain point and it's pretty obvious that I'm uncomfortable, it makes me really angry... which is probably good cos I forget that I'm a bit scared. I keep pretty calm though, I don't think it's good to show fear. I think when it happens atm it's because it's just part of living in a big city... The last person caught me totally unawares. He was wearing a three piece suit and he started walking beside me and talking to me which is fine. But then he started in on my feet, and he wouldn't stop looking at my feet, pulled out a shoe catalogue and tried to get me to tell him what I'd like to wear! That is when things turned very icy from me... I was like ok gotta go now, bye, but he just kept walking along with me, wanted to know if I'd meet him that night, yeah right. Creepy. I'm sure some men who do stuff like that especially if it turns to stalking have compulsions they feel they can't control (which obviously doesn't make it ok).

And I think the ones that follow you but don't talk to you are a bit scarier, they seem predatory.

EDIT: Sorry... this was not a very helpful post - I agree with below, tell someone what happened etc. I would also vary my routine and dog-walking route...
    Last edited by violaine; 09-30-2008 at 04:50 PM.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4, 7
    Socionics
    IEE

It's a scary feeling isn't it? A Harley dude followed me around on the road last week on his motor-bike for blocks/blocks. Frrreaked me out, but I kept my calm.

Next time anyone follows you around make sure to carry your cellphone/flash it in their face so they know you're about to dial (in my case, I couldn't dial 9-1-1 for whatever reason, but tried getting someone else to).

Since you were walking your doggy around, I'd try to quickly get to the most public area possible (preferably if it's around the neighborhood- go to the park where stroller-moms are at- hopefully they're quite aware as well)/get someone's attention. In my case, I went around in circles, then drove towards the local police station. He then got lost.

Sorry to hear about your incident. I'd recommend using a tazer-gun or pepper spray, if he's within distance (also make sure if it's required to have certification for these protective items, you're covered on that part as well). In my case, I had my car to protect me. Stay safe & good luck..

MBTI
    ISTJ

I'm tiny, but not scared. I turn around and concentrate on every bit of repressed anger I have and ask them what in the the heck they think they're doing!
    Okay, I haven't had to do this much......
    yesiknowimamiserablegrouchnowgoawayovmeleor

It's Mizzz ST, thank you...

MBTI
    INFP

There was a man in one place I worked who used to stare at me. I'd "feel" him before I even turned around and the hair would actually start to stand up on the back of my head. (Tees ignore that thing about the hair.)

I'd turn around and then he would slowly start to smile as though he knew my feelings state. Mucho creepy.

I just kept going about my business as, under the particular circumstances, it would have been difficult and probably problematic to acknowledge the situation.

Eventually he lost interest.

My opinion? He was "playing." Cute little game.

These guys get a sense of power trying to intimidate you. And you know what that means. . .
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Viv View Post
    Next time anyone follows you around make sure to carry your cellphone/flash it in their face so they know you're about to dial (in my case, I couldn't dial 9-1-1 for whatever reason, but tried getting someone else to).

Since you were walking your doggy around, I'd try to quickly get to the most public area possible (preferably if it's around the neighborhood- go to the park where stroller-moms are at- hopefully they're quite aware as well)/get someone's attention. In my case, I went around in circles, then drove towards the local police station. He then got lost.

Sorry to hear about your incident. I'd recommend using a tazer-gun or pepper spray, if he's within distance (also make sure if it's required to have certification for these protective items, you're covered on that part as well). In my case, I had my car to protect me. Stay safe & good luck..
    Cell phones are a must. I almost didn't take mine today, but fortunately I got off my lazy butt to find it and put it in my pocket. I did cut our usual route short and headed to the main street, which has a "music park" running along it. Unfortunately, no one ever uses it.

It was just a bit unnerving. I would not have been able to call the police and still remain aware of my surroundings. This guy was unreal...no matter how many times my dog and I sped up/slowed down for whatever the reason, he still kept the same distance away.

Thanks for the good wishes and I definately will stay safe(r). Good news for me is, once my mastiff grows up, he'll be 160+ lbs of mean, lean, stalker-eating machine. He already knows the trouble-makers.
    There are two types of people in this world, sheep and sharks. Be a shark. Sharks are winners and they don't look back 'cause they don't have necks. Necks are for sheep.

Headstrong: You're learning the ways of...me!
    INTP Friend: Yay!
    INTP Friend: Wait....NOOOOO

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who do not have it.
    -George Bernard Shaw

Wise men talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
    -Plato

MBTI
    INxJ

I had a mastiff as a kid and I would ride him like a pony. I'm 4'10''. It worked out fine. lol

In all seriousness, make sure your parents know. Don't go anywhere without them being aware of your location. Keeping your dog with you and your phone on you is good as you stated above. Stalkers are very creepy. It's better to be paranoid safe, than not safe enough. Good luck.