• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Are strong "Thinkers" prone to being a risk to themselves?

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
In general, I don't think so. But STJs seem rather defenseless against strong emotions. They can do serious damage in short order.

Watcha mean? We become overwhelmed because we don't know what to do with them?

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Watcha mean? We become overwhelmed because we don't know what to do with them?
I don't know if you know what to do with them or not, I just notice the results. Confusion, depression and/or rage.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Do you think so? Emotionally and mentally speaking, that is.
Perhaps anyone can be a risk to themselves if their life is too severely out of balance.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What do you mean by "acknowledge their feeling side"?
Hehe! Classic T question.

Strong thinkers or weak feelers?

Same thing. Strongly differentiated thinking precludes the development of a mature feeling function, or so the books tell me.
Thinking seeks to eliminate personal values from the decision-making process, i.e. the opposite of what feeling seeks to do. Over time, this tends to lead to a dulling or weakening of the feeling process, an inability to recognize what one's values are in a given situation.

This is a problem for me. I find decision-making very difficult in my personal life, because from an objective stance it can be difficult to determine which outcome is more favourable. I can go through an endless iteration of "on the one hand, x, other the other hand, y, but on the other hand....". Is x > y? Sometimes, I have no idea if there are no objective criteria to guide me. When I finally make a decision, I always end up second-guessing myself and wondering if I've done the "right" thing and usually conclude I haven't. But I'm amost certain I would feel that way whatever I decided. I see this, along with weak rapport with others, to be major problems for the overly differentiated thinker.

The "danger" lies in making the "wrong" decision in important matters - i.e. the decision which doesn't accord with one's value system. Because the latter is there all the time, lurking in the shadows, and will leap out and bite you in the butt when you don't expect it. The trouble is, when I try to project myself into a future which is contigent on a certain choice, it (my internal value system) remains infuriatingly silent. The best analogy I can think of is: it's like a kid you ask if it wants to go to the zoo/park/cinema/whatever. The kid says, "Sure, why not?" but really he's tired and just wants to stay at home, but he doesn't know this, 'cos he's a kid. Then the minute you get to the zoo/park/cinema/whatever, he starts balling his eyes out and says he wants to go home. Bloody kids! That's why I don't have any.

Does anyone else identify with this? (not the paedophobia bit, the emotional-retard bit) How have you developed strategies to help with making the "right" decision?

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
What about the whole internal feeling thing and not knowing how to express/vent properly? Or is this what you mean?

The effects of lack of feeling can express themselves in a variety of ways. This is how I am coming at it though:

Say you group people into four categories (like Jung): Thinkers, Feelers, Intuitives, and Sensors. I would say that the Feelers are the most likely to have a satisfying life. What is more is that each of the other three groups will increase their satisfaction if they can sufficiently develop their feeling function. This is because Man is inherently a social creature. People in general get a lot of satisfaction from their relationships and from living according to their values. Feelers are the most aware of this, and that is why I'd say they are most likely to have a satisfying life.

The flip side is that someone without a developed feeling function will become increasingly more dissatisfied with their life over time. This can manifest in a variety of ways anger, depression, addiction, materialism, etc.... However it manifests itself though, it won't be healthy. Overall I think it's important for everyone to develop their feeling function.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I tested as a strong feeler and all I know is that I love strong thinkers. :wubbie::wubbie::wubbie:

I feel that they compliment me.

LostInNerSpace

MBTI Type
INTP
Thinking tightropes is pretty scary sometimes. Makes me dizzy just thinking about thinking them.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I would say that the Feelers are the most likely to have a satisfying life.
Any Feelers care to disagree?
Man is inherently a social creature.
My man ain't.
"Inherently", asserts that there is something abnormal about being anti-social....hold on, so does "Anti-social"....it's a conspiracy, I demand a recount!

The flip side is that someone without a developed feeling function will become increasingly more dissatisfied with their life over time. This can manifest in a variety of ways anger, depression, addiction, materialism, etc....
I think this is at least as true for someone with an overly developed Feeling function. The only difference is, they don't even know why they are so dissatisfied ;)

Also:
Fe <> Fi (societal values vs. personal values)

blah, blah, blah

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Any Feelers care to disagree?

Well I am talking probability. So obviously there will be satisfied thinkers and unsatisfied feelers. :rolli: From articles I've read the professions that report the greatest amount of job satisfaction tend to be things like Nurse, Teacher, or Clergy. Professions that report the least amount of job satisfaction tend to be in technical fields like Engineering or IT. Obviously in the career world feelers have a big advantage over thinkers in being satisfied.

What is ironic is the work environment is supposed to be where thinkers thrive. If thinkers get less satisfaction from their careers as a whole, then what chance do they have in getting more satisfaction from their relationships?

My man ain't.
"Inherently", asserts that there is something abnormal about being anti-social....hold on, so does "Anti-social"....it's a conspiracy, I demand a recount!

It depends on what you mean by anti-social. (One definition is sociopath and that is bad. ;)) Some people prefer many relationships while others prefer few. Neither approach is better. However both are better than a person who has no relationships.

Bufo

MBTI Type
onto
Enneagram
5w4
Re: OP
Yes. Thinkers might be indecisive about certain things that strictly require a decision, but where the incipient decision is very likely to violate the existing harmony. If you act on it, you will endanger your peace that's needed to maintain your ability for thinking. If you don't, on the other hand, you are no longer honest to yourself, which again violates your principle.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I don't think F types are more likely to lead a more satisfying life.

According to Stoicism and Buddhism too I guess, T's would be more likely to lead the optimal life. It's about separating and detaching ourselves from desire. Freedom from negative emotion by the embracement of reason. I agree with some of Stoicism.

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
^How on earth do you get it right not to feel negative emotion? Isn't that just denial and won't you get sick?

Eldanen

Arcesso pulli gingerios!
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Only when they tell me "You should. . ."

This is interesting. I'll think on it. INTP son, ISTJ husband.

On one site I read that ISTJs are prone to depression and I could see that.

Son has Social Anxiety Disorder.

People that say to me, "You should..." are really asking for it :p. I like it much better when someone presents to me cold distanced facts and lets me make up my own mind.

The thing about a strong T preference is that it does distance you from people and relationships which can act as a stabilizing point preventing someone from going out of balance. Without this equalizer where emotion is sorta shared and discharged among a group of people or between a couple close friends frequently, there is a situation where the T doesn't necessarily have what he needs to ground out that energy.

Mycroft

The elder Holmes
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
To advance an opposing view: The older I get, the more adept I grow at keeping my feelings in their proper place and allowing my head to guide my decision-making process. And, boy howdy, let me tell you, I'm making substantially better decisions in my life with each passing year. This has even been noticed and commented upon by other people of other types.

I've noticed a common inclination among people who've discovered MBTI is to try to use it to "juke" the mental system and try to "develop" other traits that are not typically developed by members of their type.

Feeling and Thinking in the Jungian model are at odds for a reason. What constitutes a satisfying outcome and life course for a T and an F are two rather different things. Put more simply: cognitive dissonance and a sound decision-making process are not good bedfellows.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
To advance an opposing view: The older I get, the more adept I grow at keeping my feelings in their proper place and allowing my head to guide my decision-making process. And, boy howdy, let me tell you, I'm making substantially better decisions in my life with each passing year. This has even been noticed and commented upon by other people of other types.

I've noticed a common inclination among people who've discovered MBTI is to try to use it to "juke" the mental system and try to "develop" other traits that are not typically developed by members of their type.

Feeling and Thinking in the Jungian model are at odds for a reason. What constitutes a satisfying outcome and life course for a T and an F are two rather different things. Put more simply: cognitive dissonance and a sound decision-making process are not good bedfellows.

So you left the wife and kids, then ditched all of your friends and that solved all of your problems? :huh:

I am saying that everyone should have a developed feeling function. I'm not saying that it should guide every decision.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I'm going to go ahead and say it.

This thread is very depressing.

Mycroft

The elder Holmes
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
So you left the wife and kids, then ditched all of your friends and that solved all of your problems? :huh:

Don't be absurd. I told them we were going to Disney Land and drove them off a pier.