• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What if Feeler types stopped feeling? What would happen?

kotoshinohaisha

Permabanned
MBTI Type
STFU
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so
But is the solution to that not to feel at all? Sensitivity can be overcome. Also people who feel a lot can become great artists and writers. They can also emote their feelings to others. Why would you want to give up on that?

I'm just asking the possibility.

Solution is maturity i guess. :)

kotoshinohaisha

Permabanned
MBTI Type
STFU
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so
Well, in the case of losing actual emotions ... the thinkers would lose emotions too because as others have said, feeling in MBTI doesn't equal emotions. But if humanity lost the ability to feel emotions ...

We might all turn into ruthless psychopaths! :happy2:

Or cybermen ...

81f7c8bf308560eb6d2bb4611314772e4831ab5c_hq.gif

tumblr_m1dei8x0Ei1r2vs7so2_500.gif

tumblr_mmng59xtql1qltc1qo1_500.gif

And would no longer be able to: empathize, sympathize, love (except for the action-kind of love) be happy, peaceful, joyful, ecstatic ... goodbye music, stories, art, appreciation of beauty, charity, generosity, attempts of trying to help starving orphans, saving dolphins, etc., etc.

On the bright side, appeals-to-emotion logical fallacies would no longer be an issue! :happy2: Politics would be sooooo much tidier.

If the feeling functions were just lost from MBTI then you'd get all of the irrational feeler types (INFJ, ISFJ, ENFP, ESFP), going into dom-tert loops and then possibly falling into the grip of inferior functions and all of the rational feeler types (ENFJ, ESFJ, ISFP, INFP) falling into the grip of the irrational function. The thinkers would lose their lovely feeling functions which would be so sad because tert Fi ... :cry: and tert Fe ... :cry::cry:
True that sucks then.

Mostly happiness comes from feelings and emotions.

It's just in some cases, people use their emotions wrongly that leads then to become worse version of themselves.

But overall feelings is essential indeed.

Like life would be fucking boring if i stopped having crushes -_-

I'll be a robot for sure

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It would like to know instead: what if Feelers (or anyone) lost emotion while retaining their values? This begs the question of how emotions and values are related. I generally consider emotions as a form of sensory input, just like physical sensations like hunger, cold, or a sore foot. They are all inputs to a decision making process that also has values as an input, and relies on logic to process it all.

And yes - I was going to say something similar to [MENTION=30122]Cat Brainz[/MENTION], namely that since feelers also think, just as thinkers also feel, being deprived of one process would still leave the other. Perhaps we would end up with the personality-spectrum equivalent of Ray Charles or Stephen Hawking.
That is an interesting question! I have seen Ti-doms think in systems with constructive outcomes using mostly logic that can result in something like values. Logical processes have a deterministic nature, and Value-based processes and subjective systems have not always been looked at in a way that you can define those processes systematically. Your question is addressing this, and it is quite interesting.

I can mostly approach this from the standpoint of analyzing art. There are elements to those systems that are logical, and some have principles based on nature, and so they can be comparable to objective processes. Then there are elements that shift depending on individual perception, which are the subjective elements.

In a way I've seen subjective systems as having enough complexity that we learn short-cuts of intuition and feeling responses. Each individual person has perception that results from their genetics and individual and cultural experiences, but when you are thinking about the collective perceptions of people (for example the impact of a work of art), there are so many factors that we tend to let go of attempting to define it and just go with a feeling or intuitive response. I haven't studied higher math, but the little I understand about fuzzy logic and dealing with approximations of complex systems, I can see some connection between this and subjective analysis.

I don't think this necessarily answers the question you propose, but it's a topic worth its own investigation I think. :)

Shiver

We wouldn't have anything to counterbalance the overwhelming number of pretentious "Thinking" tryhards who infest the typology forums. I appreciate our Feeling counterparts.

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Because some problems are caused by feelings.

So i thought if feelings is ceased then no problems? :)

Feelings - being too emotional *fyi*

I don't think it is possible. It is an innate disposition. What one can do is strive to achieve balance. Thinking without empathy and true understanding of another's lifestyle and dilemma as well as personal history is ignorance. However we can learn to be cognitively mindful of gross distortions of fact and emotional reasoning.

According to CBT Cognitive Behavior Therapy under every negative emotion is a cognitive distortion or fallacy. It is really one attacking another person or blaming life or a person for one's own unfinished childhood or trauma unresolved conflict in a blind fashion. It is rationalization, denial and blind spots operating and not one dealing with the external situation in a mature-spiritually and cognitive disciplined mindfulness.

When one tries to be positive in orientation or at least deal with the external situation in a stoic manner knowing what we can change and what we cannot plus taking the higher road in personal adversity that is a true test of character and mature mind. Query: What are we predominately motivated by thoughts or feelings? Which rules our lives?

Upnextup

MBTI Type
INFJ
This may have already gotten said (sorry for not reading the whole thread) but we would pretty much all be sociopaths and some mad anarchy would ensue.

(This is assuming Thinkers lost their ability to feel as well.)

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
we'd die.

This is kinda true I'm afraid, we need to F ourselves up at least once a day to survive. At least that's the Thinker's perspective on us.

Hahaha sorry guys, I do actually like to poke fun at type stereotypes, it's kind of one of my favorite forms of humor these days. I can stop.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
This is kinda true I'm afraid, we need to F ourselves up at least once a day to survive. At least that's the Thinker's perspective on us.

Hahaha sorry guys, I do actually like to poke fun at type stereotypes, it's kind of one of my favorite forms of humor these days. I can stop.

please don't its great.

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Wouldn't be feelers if they didn't have extended periods of time where they didn't feel anything at all.

The Cat

Just a Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads
Staff member
Do you like Huey Lewis and the news?
Their early work was a little too new wave for my taste. But when Sports came out in '83, I think they really came into their own, commercially and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. He's been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far more bitter, cynical sense of humor. In '87, Huey released this; Fore!, their most accomplished album. I think their undisputed masterpiece is "Hip To Be Square". A song so catchy, most people probably don't listen to the lyrics. But they should, because it's not just about the pleasures of conformity and the importance of trends. It's also a personal statement about the band itself...

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
we would go officially crazy

somniferous

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah, what the ENTJ lady said.

Abcdenfp

Terpsichore
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W8
I don't like how thinking about this makes me feel. Yukkk.. must have feelings :wubbie::cry::newwink::happy2:

Scapegoated 4 fun

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Hmmm I think that would lead to said Feelers being forced to rely on their other functions and in essence become second rate Thinkers as they would then be forced to use their lower thinking function. It would suck for them in other words :p and it would be like cutting someones legs off and foricng them to depend on their arms to move around in a metaphysical sense.
Sounds like the way the world is anyways