User Tag List

12311 Last

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTP

Default "No problem" vs "you're welcome"

Personally I use "my pleasure," but something about the response/point to this meme rubs my logic the wrong way. Can't quite put my finger on it. "No problem" always bothers me because it seems predicated on the notion that the thanks was unnecessary and unwanted, when I feel in almost all cases it's neither. It also seems to shift the focus from the exchange to the individual performing the exchange, and how THEY feel about it, which definitely aligns with stereotypical millennial narcissism. I don't know. Thoughts?
    Likes Metis liked this post

MBTI
    STP

No burden or "anytime" is why i say "no problem". Its an invite to the person to be the same way, acceptance.
    Im out, its been fun
    Likes Dreamer liked this post

SpaceCadetGoldStarBrigade Population: 1's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

No problem was starting to become a thing when I was a kid, and that was quite a while ago. My mom absolutely hated the expression. I think no problem should still be used more in a personal situation than a business transaction but it doesn't concern me that much. The tone and mood of the no problem is what draws my attention. Rude is rude regardless of the terms used.
    To give real service you must add something which cannot be bought or measured with money, and that is sincerity and integrity. Douglas Adams

As per orders of the No likes experiment I am not liking posts for the duration.

I frequently say "no problem." If Tom doesn't like it, he can take a hike.
    Likes Bush Did 9/11 liked this post

Dream without Hesitation Dreamer's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    792 so/sx
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

I typically respond with a "no prob", but that's because I actually mean there was no issue in my helping you. It didn't cause any inconvenience on my end, or any trouble. I guess saying so though, is kind of not needed though if we want to get picky about it, since, if helping someone out DID cause me an inconvenience, then I wouldn't do it. Doing the action in itself should be enough, right? Well the other end of this, is that it's typically socially expected that the other person on the receiving end of a "thank you" would respond in some way. Seems silly, but alas, that's social grace for ya.

Now, the situation that is presented in this thread, where a cashier says "no problem"...umm, when would that ever happen? Sure, it can, and apparently it did, but I've always had the cashier say thank you immediately my handing them my credit card. Employee training 101.
    Likes Bush Did 9/11 liked this post

Depends on who I am responding to and the level of familiarity with them. Sometimes it's fun to say "no problemo" in an Arnold accent.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

I say you're welcome, but it doesn't matter either way. Well I say no problem or np on the internet, but you're welcome in real life.
    "Avoid getting too preoccupied thinking about what you’re going to do, to actually do it."
    — Rachel Wolchin

johari
    nohari

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    614 sx/so

I say both depending on circumstance and context. If I give a gift or invite someone over to my house and they thank me, I say "you're welcome" because they're welcome to the gift and my house. If I hold a door for someone and they say thank you, I say "no problem" or "of course." And if someone's thank you is doubling as an apology, which happens sometimes even though I can't think of a specific example right now, I say "oh, no, it's fine."
    Likes geedoenfj, Larix, Xann liked this post

MBTI
    STP

When i pay $3.00 at sonic for a item that was $2.87 it just seems retarded to say thank you. I dont want to say "your welcome" as if i did something big for them. Now if i see them having a bad day and i hand them a $20 and say keep the change, i will follow up with a "your welcome" instead of "no problem".
    Im out, its been fun

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTP

Ive noticed millennials will try to class up their "no problem" by upgrading it to a deliberately punctuated "not a problem." Marginally better thanks to the additional effort, but it still falls flat to my ears. Like, I know it wasn't a problem. It was as easy as handing me a pen and I watched you do it. Is pointing out the obvious all you've got? Do you not care either way in helping someone or being appreciated for it?