User Tag List

Enneagram
    Socionics
    N/A None

Default Does MBTI/socionics normalize trauma?

Excuse the kind of out-there, clickbait-ish title.

I have just created a thread on vegetotherapy and process/depth psychology (supposedly, post-Jungian) and I do wonder whether there is indeed a strict dichotomy between Jungian and post-Jungian psychology.

Could it be that Jungian typology (as a subset of Jungian psychology), in all of its legitimacy, provides shelter for those with a weak sense of self (which can also be legitimized by postmodernism), possibly stemming from enmeshed boundaries with primary caregivers and more or less covert/subtle abuse?

Is this an old ''debate'' in the community? Is it even worthy of being called a debate? Do you think that these approaches do contradict each other?
    Likes magpie liked this post

Damn American Cowboy Reborn Relic's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

It's a real danger, I think, though I think there's the possibility of it being neutral for others and perhaps even beneficial for a few (who would need more positive reward-based psychology to motivate themselves into getting better).
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick."

--Theodore Roosevelt

“Be careful, lest in casting out your demon you exorcise the best thing in you.”

--Friedrich Nietzche

I have a Johari again

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Socionics
    Duno None

I don't understand. Explain in layman's.

MBTI
    None
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LIE Ni

I think that personality theories in general attract people with a weak sense of self. People who seem to be on a search for something. This could be caused by many things, but most commonly some sort of trauma during childhood. I'm not saying everyone interested in personality theories, or in typology communities will be a traumatized person, but I think a good number of them will be. This hypothesis has been confirmed to me during my interactions with people on forums. Also, this friend of mine (ILI in socionics) came to this same conclusion as me separately.
    Likes Zeego liked this post

Enneagram
    Socionics
    N/A None

Thanks

@Yuu, this article provides a case in point : http://iji.cgpublisher.com/product/pub.88/prod.1576

''A Post-jungian Understanding of the Counter-dependent Puella Aeterna (Eternal Girl) as Psychological Pattern in Women''

The eternal child (puer aeternus/puella aeterna) profiles ENFP. This article links the complex to ''underlying narcissistic wounding and archetypal dynamics''. Maybe I have a limited sample, but I noticed that typology discussions rarely if ever end up making reference to narcissistic wounding (trauma), C-PTSD etc. I believe that socionics reinforces the ''shielding'' by introducing the concept of natural conflictors.

The article also places these dynamics in the patriarchical society but this is not something that has been under my radar.
    Likes magpie liked this post

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by erg View Post
    I think that personality theories in general attract people with a weak sense of self. People who seem to be on a search for something. This could be caused by many things, but most commonly some sort of trauma during childhood. I'm not saying everyone interested in personality theories, or in typology communities will be a traumatized person, but I think a good number of them will be. This hypothesis has been confirmed to me during my interactions with people on forums. Also, this friend of mine (ILI in socionics) came to this same conclusion as me separately.
    This. Exactly this.
    "If the truth shall kill them, let them die"

468: The Truth Teller [4w5 - 6w5 - 8w7].
    Ni 45.1|Ne 38.4|Ti 35.1|Te 33.2|Fi 32.1|Si 30.2|Se 29.2|Fe 18.8

Enneagram
    947 so/sx

Had to check my eyes, I thought Mole started this thread.
    Regardless, I think it's human nature for people to latch themselves onto any belief systems to process hidden pains through them and I don't fault myself or anyone else to do so.
    Likes Ashtart liked this post

MBTI
    iNtP
    Enneagram
    954 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ili Ni

several years ago i looked into the idea that other intp's landed in their personality type due to "trauma", and found this thread... i for one, know that i would not be intp if it wasn't for some fucked up shit that happened when i was younger... i found it really interesting how many people claimed to have had shit happen to them during their formative years... i don't think that being intp is necessarily caused by these things, but i highly suspect the numbers swell because of them... i don't have much of an opinion concerning normalization... i also don't concern myself much with wether my understanding matches that of jung or of those who followed... i have my own mental model, but for the most part i view all of this as a shorthand method of communicating who i feel i am and what i observe in others... i think that the water is far too muddy to pinpoint with any accuracy a concrete awnser to your question...
    "The vanity of intelligence is that the intelligent man is often more committed to 'one-upping' his opponent than being truthful. When the idea of intelligence, rather than intelligence itself, becomes a staple, there is no wisdom in it."
    Criss Jami

"When dealing with people, remember you are not dealing with creatures of logic, but creatures of emotion."
    "Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self control to be understanding and forgiving."
    Dale Carnegie
    Likes magpie, Zeego liked this post

Enneagram
    Socionics
    N/A None

Quote Originally Posted by Nørrsken View Post
    Had to check my eyes, I thought Mole started this thread.
    Regardless, I think it's human nature for people to latch themselves onto any belief systems to process hidden pains through them and I don't fault myself or anyone else to do so.
    thanks for the reference. I looked up Mole's threads and they have very interesting material.
    Likes magpie, Nørrsken liked this post

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Obfuscate View Post
    several years ago i looked into the idea that other intp's landed in their personality type due to "trauma", and found this thread... i for one, know that i would not be intp if it wasn't for some fucked up shit that happened when i was younger... i found it really interesting how many people claimed to have had shit happen to them during their formative years... i don't think that being intp is necessarily caused by these things, but i highly suspect the numbers swell because of them...
    Very interesting read, thank you for sharing. The general consensus on that page seems to be that a person can indeed be conditioned to be a certain personality type. I don't know what made me INTP, but I have considered that it might be related to intrusive thoughts that I sometimes have. I wonder how childhood trauma would correlate with other MBTI types. Personally I would expect it to correlate with introversion in general, but obviously there would have to be actual research done here.
    We will meet again in Etruria.

INTP
    INFp/IEI
    5w4 - 9w1 - 4w5 sp/sx
    MelPhleg

Johari | Nohari