• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Creating circumstances or created by them

Chris_in_Orbit

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Oh, interesting. Now that I think about it, this really is the same as the Nature vs Nurture argument..

~Anyway.

I am interested to hear your thoughts on this. You can think of MBTI while answering this question I suppose.

Some people believe that our circumstances create us. We are molded from whatever events we experience in our lives and we adapt to future events accordingly. Thusly, we are our circumstances. Because we are shaped from them we can blame (or thank) the random cards we are given throughout our lives.

Sara is an average woman whose parents were very inefficient with money. Growing up she realized that she did not want to be like them. She finds herself today in a comfortable life and very financially comfortable. She believes that because she was placed in the situation she was in from her childhood, she was able to learn from it and become something beneficial..

Flip the token and you get another idea. We create our circumstances. Let me clarify: circumstances still happen but it is up to us to appraise them. Therefore our circumstances are what we make of them.

Lets use Sara again. She is still a studious woman who is good with money. But now she thinks that it was -her- that made her into the money savvy person she is and not the circumstance she was put in. Sara has a -sister- who was in the same situation as she was but she ended up being an airheaded artist who couldn't care less about money...let alone a stable living environment. Therefore these two people who were raised in the same environment turned out differently, all because individuals make their circumstances and not the other way around.

And then it can turn full circle.... Sara's sister turned out the way she did because she was younger and had an older sister who was taking charge of the families expenses so she didn't have to.. revalidating that circumstances create us.

So you see, both theories have some merit. Tell me: what do you guys think?

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
You use events/ outward circumstances as examples. This is hard as some people are in such a tight grip or vicious cycle, especially where money is concerned that it would feel wrong to say "You can make it never mind what, just get your act together, forget what life has thrown at you".
When it comes to what goes on inside, I really do believe that one can rise high, high above what circumstances you are in or have experienced in the past. It is a powerful and wonderful thing when it finally sinks in.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I sort of think they go hand-in-hand though. Taking my high-school career.. My parents needed my assistance, so my sisters were capable of doing whatever they liked and being much more "normal" teenagers without the responsibilities I was upholding.. I could have just as easily said I didn't feel like it, but I decided to create that circumstance.. because I created it, my sister's didn't learn the weight of responsibility early on like I did, thus when my younger sister is off on her own, her circumstances made her spoiled and unable to handle the harder things in life.. which makes me often having to go through and help her. I chose something, which made a reaction, which put me in that circumstance that shapes me.

So.. I guess in a way, both sides are seen because the choices you make create the circumstances that shape you?

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Concerning nature vs nurture....nurture is a part of nature, it exists within it. So it's really a flawed concept.

Chris_in_Orbit

MBTI Type
ESTJ
You use events/ outward circumstances as examples. This is hard as some people are in such a tight grip or vicious cycle, especially where money is concerned that it would feel wrong to say "You can make it never mind what, just get your act together, forget what life has thrown at you".
When it comes to what goes on inside, I really do believe that one can rise high, high above what circumstances you are in or have experienced in the past. It is a powerful and wonderful thing when it finally sinks in.

Well I use outside circumstances for a reason. We have to get our circumstances from without and bring them within us. I wonder if the outside circumstance or the individual appraisal of it could be used to define the "self." Though I do get what you mean; what would you think of an internal circumstance? Like love perhaps? :wubbie:

I sort of think they go hand-in-hand though. Taking my high-school career.. My parents needed my assistance, so my sisters were capable of doing whatever they liked and being much more "normal" teenagers without the responsibilities I was upholding.. I could have just as easily said I didn't feel like it, but I decided to create that circumstance.. because I created it, my sister's didn't learn the weight of responsibility early on like I did, thus when my younger sister is off on her own, her circumstances made her spoiled and unable to handle the harder things in life.. which makes me often having to go through and help her. I chose something, which made a reaction, which put me in that circumstance that shapes me.

So.. I guess in a way, both sides are seen because the choices you make create the circumstances that shape you?

Yes, interesting. In the end which one influenced who you were? the circumstance of responsibility, or the choice to take on that circumstance? Its seems like a question you can't answer. Maybe they go hand in hand.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Whatcha mean?

Your nurturing, upbringing, your environment.... is all part of nature. Nature as in: The universe, everything, the natural world. Nurturing occurs within all that.

Chris_in_Orbit

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Concerning nature vs nurture....nurture is a part of nature, it exists within it. So it's really a flawed concept.

o_O Do we naturally exist and pass on genes in the expectation that our off spring will be nurtured in such a way as to continue to procreate?

I'm totally seeing your point on this one. :tongue: Like, if mothers didn't nurture a significant attachment to their babies then the baby would be unlikely to survive. Good call.

Now back on topic. xD

EDIT: Actually nature vs. nurture arguing is quite on topic so any further speculation is fine.

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Well I use outside circumstances for a reason. We have to get our circumstances from without and bring them within us. I wonder if the outside circumstance or the individual appraisal of it could be used to define the "self." Though I do get what you mean; what would you think of an internal circumstance? Like love perhaps? :wubbie:

Yes, interesting. In the end which one influenced who you were? the circumstance of responsibility, or the choice to take on that circumstance? Its seems like a question you can't answer. Maybe they go hand in hand.

Oh, my non-abstract mind struggles so.....

But if you put it like that....o yes, circumstances define self but I think it's something that should be watched and controlled and sort of pushed in the right direction otherwise you'll start making excuses for who and what you are.
Love? huh?

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram

Unfortunately, I don't have an answer. Sometimes I'd like to know if I'd turn out well without making that choice. In the end, I think circumstances shape us until we decide to take them in our own hands.

For example, something tragic happens. For a while, we're depressed or saddened, but eventually we make of it what we can and choose to move on despite the situation. I think we're too strong to be entirely controlled by circumstance.. but that we do let it guide us and wait until something happens that requires our attention.

Chris_in_Orbit

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Oh, my non-abstract mind struggles so.....

But if you put it like that....o yes, circumstances define self but I think it's something that should be watched and controlled and sort of pushed in the right direction otherwise you'll start making excuses for who and what you are.
Love? huh?

How would you definie yourself in terms of love? Are you who you are because of how you love or who you choose to love? Though this question is rather different from the original, I still want to know what you think of it.

Lucifer

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Nothing controls us. We can learn or adopt a lifestyle from circumstance but it never truly controls us. People let themselves be controlled by it because it is easier then living without out it, with having to create your own circumstance. Circumstance is the largest excuse. If you are threaten with your life to do something, and you do it only to say "I had no choice, it was because of the situation, under the circumstances". This is wrong, This is letting yourself be controlled by circumstance because although your convictions are against it, you are not strong enough to create your own circumstance, to die, or get fired, break up with your better half, steal, dont steal and etc. Your personality created by circumstance is what someone tells themself to sleep easier or to get over a mistake or misdeed they have done.

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
How would you definie yourself in terms of love? Are you who you are because of how you love or who you choose to love? Though this question is rather different from the original, I still want to know what you think of it.

Uhm, I don't think so, love isn't a big part of my life....it's over theeeere. I could never use it as a definition for anything.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Uhm, I don't think so, love isn't a big part of my life....it's over theeeere. I could never use it as a definition for anything.

I'm such an idealist.. I put love on this great pedestal that I hope to build stairs to one day.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I probably feel the same way as k. I can be happy without a killer career or a Ferrari, but I won't be satisfied until the "true love" thing works out, hopefully for more than a couple months the second time.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
For real? Romantic love?

Yes, actually. I believe in it, albeit I also believe that it's not the center of everyone's life.. it's just one thing that could be. I've known plenty of people live just fine without it in their lives, but as for me I'd like to continue searching for it.

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Yes, I do want it, but it's searching me, not I for it.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Lol! Corny is acceptable ^_^b