• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What is an Ambivert? 20 Signs of Ambiversion

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Is an ambiverted type a combination of introverted and extroverted traits? Or is it a type in itself?
21 Signs You Might Actually Be An Ambivert

Martin Owens · West Surrey College of Art and Design wrote:
"I'm just me and I dislike being labeled for no apparent reason."

Of course we all know which type that is.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This page defines ambiversion in terms of having greater social flexibility than introverts and extroverts:
9 Signs That You're An Ambivert page 1

Grant explained the finding this way:

“Because they naturally engage in a flexible pattern of talking and listening, ambiverts are likely to express sufficient assertiveness and enthusiasm to persuade and close a sale, but are more inclined to listen to customers’ interests and less vulnerable to appearing too excited or overconfident.”

Littleclaypot

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I swear I think I have this (as if it is some disease).

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I consider myself to be ambiverted.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Somebody once asked me, mostly in jest or mockery, if the MBTI should have an A category to go along with E and I. I said no. For one thing, the letter X has traditionally been used when one of the categories splits right down the middle. And according to the tests I am technically an IXTP. The X would also be used for a score of 50% on the E/I scale.

But some of the existing type-descriptions already read like ambiverts, the ISFJ for example. My father was a prime example of an ISFJ ambivert type. Here is one of the reasons.

Ambiverts are supposed to be the best people at sales. They don't come on too strong and aggressive like extroverts. They work with the customer, listening to the customer's needs while making the sales pitch. This chart shows where ambiverts, introverts, and extroverts exist in terms of sales revenue:
sales_revenue.jpg

My father worked in the sporting goods department of a store that was part of a chain of stores. At the time he went to work for them their sporting goods sales revenues were in last place out of about 50 stores. In two years my father took that department from last place to first place in total sales.

Years ago he told me the secret to his success. He was a great listener. He always had a smile on his face and was also glad to see you when you came to visit his counter. He was a people person but he worked hard to order sporting goods that were in demand. If he heard from a customer that the fish were hitting on a certain bait, he would order more of that type and less of others. He did all the ordering, stocked all the shelves, reloaded all the ammo, and listened to his customers. Everybody knew my father. He did not collect people like an ESFJ, he didn't need to anyway because they simply flocked to him.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
Why is it painful, my dear girl?

Well I've always been an outsider looking in. Eventually, I learned to "belong" by use of humor and self-deprecation. But, this is mostly just a facade. It's funny because people who only know me online think I am some social fairy who easily flutters from person to person, making friends, and while this may be true online, this does not carry over into real life.

I have a friend I've known since 2nd grade, and I still get awkward and uncomfortable around her at times. This is the pain of social anxiety. Generally, unless I am in an exceedingly good mood and either looking really good or somewhat drunk or both, I am probably somewhat uncomfortable in my own body, constantly worried about how I look or come across to others.

I relate to people on a very deep level, but the surface shit isn't my strong point, so it can be hard to get from point A to point B. I can also sometimes very easily engage with others, only to feel really uncomfortable the next time around. I read into others reactions quite a bit and often wonder things like "does this person not like me? Did I seem like a bitch when I said that? Maybe I should try to tone myself down and be more "normal." But I also have a need to be engaging and fiery and entertaining/different. I don't really wanna fit in, but I wanna be accepted.

Some of these patterns of internal struggle are completely unpredictable, so I have a tendency to feel a bit unstable or even like a spectacle. Again, I deal with all of this through humor and self-deprecation, or just plain withdrawal. It's a very push-pull dynamic and it can be difficult to cope with in healthy ways (i.e. not resorting to alcohol consumption or living vicariously through the Internet).

I consider this to be highly connected to mental illness actually, like anxiety and depression.

Littleclaypot

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Well I've always been an outsider looking in. Eventually, I learned to "belong" by use of humor and self-deprecation. But, this is mostly just a facade. It's funny because people who only know me online think I am some social fairy who easily flutters from person to person, making friends, and while this may be true online, this does not carry over into real life.

I have a friend I've known since 2nd grade, and I still get awkward and uncomfortable around her at times. This is the pain of social anxiety. Generally, unless I am in an exceedingly good mood and either looking really good or somewhat drunk or both, I am probably somewhat uncomfortable in my own body, constantly worried about how I look or come across to others.

I relate to people on a very deep level, but the surface shit isn't my strong point, so it can be hard to get from point A to point B. I can also sometimes very easily engage with others, only to feel really uncomfortable the next time around. I read into others reactions quite a bit and often wonder things like "does this person not like me? Did I seem like a bitch when I said that? Maybe I should try to tone myself down and be more "normal." But I also have a need to be engaging and fiery and entertaining/different. I don't really wanna fit in, but I wanna be accepted.

Some of these patterns of internal struggle are completely unpredictable, so I have a tendency to feel a bit unstable or even like a spectacle. Again, I deal with all of this through humor and self-deprecation, or just plain withdrawal. It's a very push-pull dynamic and it can be difficult to cope with in healthy ways (i.e. not resorting to alcohol consumption or living vicariously through the Internet).

I consider this to be highly connected to mental illness actually, like anxiety and depression.

I completely get that. You put into words something that I also struggle with. Really, I think a lot of people do, so you're not alone. <3 <3 <3

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Thank you, that was a great post. :D I've brought up Compliant types and Ambiversion here in the past and always had good results. I was reminded of the 6w7 type while reading your post. I'm not saying it's your e-type though.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
Thank you, that was a great post. :D I've brought up Compliant types and Ambiversion here in the past and always had good results. I was reminded of the 6w7 type while reading your post. I'm not saying it's your e-type though.

What is a "compliant type?" Haha... that is a first for me (my 6 is mostly cp and I am contra flow, Sx-first).

Also, I always find it really odd when people compare me to 6w7, as 7 is probably my weakest e-type. I am in reality a hermit. But, if you care to elaborate, I am open to listening.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What is a "compliant type?" Haha... that is a first for me (my 6 is mostly cp and I am contra flow, Sx-first).

Also, I always find it really odd when people compare me to 6w7, as 7 is probably my weakest e-type. I am in reality a hermit. But, if you care to elaborate, I am open to listening.

There is a recent thread on compliant types in the general psychology forum. I really don't know your type. Anxious + jokey sounds like a 6w7. It doesn't mean you are one.

thepink-cloakedninja

Marshmallow Heart
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I am so very ambiverted that in the dictionary next to the word ambivert there is a picture of my face!

I believe it's a type simply because it differs from the others enough to warrant it's own classification. Is an omnivore a hybrid of carnivores and herbivores or are those two groups an offshoot of omnivores? Anyway ambiverts don't receive a lot of attention because they're middle of the road. They're bland, at least by the viewpoint of our sensationalistic society. Political moderates are common yet ignored in favor of those that are completely polarized. Extremes sell and commonness gets overlooked and under appreciated.

Of course ambiverts are better at sales because they can relate to all three customer types: introverted, extroverted, and ambiverted.

I was in an electronics store the other day with a friend when he wondered where a certain item might be. I commented that I was sure a pushy salesman would be homing in on us at any moment to needlessly hound us.

"I have a brain, I'm fairly certain I can find it unaided." I said, thinking of how annoying such an encounter would be. "If I have a question, I'll ask." I added.

"Spoken like a true introvert." My friend replied.