User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ESI None

Default do you equate hatred with anger?

I rarely feel anger but I have an issue with feeling hateful. I don't feel it toward anyone or anything in particular it's just a general "watch the world burn" feeling. Except it's not a feeling, it's a frame of mind. When I was a little kid when I was in this frame of mind I would imagine things being on fire and it soothed me. A specific incidence, I was 10 years old, in the passenger seat of the car, going to the store. As we passed by the various buildings of my neighborhood I wwould sit and imagine everything on fire. I found it comforting, I don't know how to explain it. I used to do it al the time. And I did hurt animals a few times but I felt bad about it. My step mom and my mom always used to ask me, even as a child "why are you so hateful?" and it confuses me because I don't know what that even means. This isn't trolling btw, I'm being 100% serious. As a child I for real did this.

Im not a psychopath, I love people and animals. I have this obsession with destroying and hurting things but then I feel bad about it later if I act on it. But I feel an over whelming compulsion to do it sometimes. Anyway the point is, a lot of people say "you need to let go of your anger" but I don't feel anger. So anyway I don't think this is that unusual, but I just have a hard time understanding what "hate" is. The only way I can describe it is it's like a cold empty feeling in my mind. A cold dumb feeling.

Thoughts?

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ESI None

I think that, like love, hate is something you actively do. To show someone love vs. to show someone hate. It's not an emotion, it's a behavior.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ESI None

I just have an issue understanding these things because they're not even real, they're concepts so wtf is it? Just some stupid primitive impulse. Am I more basic and stupid than other people because I've acted on negative impulses?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Trash Panda View Post
    ... My step mom and my mom always used to ask me, even as a child "why are you so hateful?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Trash Panda View Post
    I think that, like love, hate is something you actively do. To show someone love vs. to show someone hate. It's not an emotion, it's a behavior.
    So were they responding to an emotion you said you didn't feel, or were they responding to what they could see you do? That's what isn't clear.

So what drove those comments? Did they see you hurt/destroy something?
    Or did they say those kinds of things after arguments you'd have with them, where you would use choice/insulting words?
    Or were you just arguing with them a lot, so they thought you were willfully combative?

It's not really clear what drove their comments based on what you shared so far.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    STP

No, anger is a feeling focused toward self. Hatred is focused on others. You can see the difference in the eyes between hate and anger.
    Likes Totenkindly liked this post

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

I can feel anger towards someone I like very much, so they're different to me. I break things down into smaller fragments to deal with my feelings towards them, most of the time. I think hatred is something overwhelming. It is anger I don't understand maybe. So, maybe anger and hatred are related.

MBTI
    infp
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

I've always equated hatred with an attitude of wanting to destroy someone or something. It's the opposite action of nurturing or building. Maybe anger can fuel hatred, but anger can also be a constructive and positive motivator to action--depends on the way one chooses to respond to their anger. Maybe anger is not the emotion behind your hatred. Could the cold empty feeling be boredom or something like that? Seeking stimulation?

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

Anger is mostly rooted in disappointment and frustration for me.

Hatred is something I feel is more fundamental and a lot less common. I hate war. I'm angry at the people who propegate war. I guess I also typically hate more abstract things, and can only get angry at people because of our small nature.
    Likes Frosty liked this post

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ESI None

Quote Originally Posted by Totenkindly View Post
    So were they responding to an emotion you said you didn't feel, or were they responding to what they could see you do? That's what isn't clear.

So what drove those comments? Did they see you hurt/destroy something?
    Or did they say those kinds of things after arguments you'd have with them, where you would use choice/insulting words?
    Or were you just arguing with them a lot, so they thought you were willfully combative?

It's not really clear what drove their comments based on what you shared so far.
    I think it was just my all around demeanor. The things I would say, the way I would respond to them. They never saw me do anything bad to animals.

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Anger seems more volatile and can pass quickly whereas hatred can simmer and fester for many years.
    Liberty means the ability to say "No thanks, perhaps later. I'm gonna go take a nap now."