• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Fifth Dimension

Mole

Permabanned
There are four dimensions: length, breadth, depth, and time. And I have discovered another dimension, it's a bit like looking in the back of the wardrobe and finding a doorway to another world. And the fifth dimension is writing. It's at right angles to the other four dimensions including time, for when I write time disappears, I don't know where it goes, anymore than I know where my mind goes when I am absent minded.

I am grateful for the fifth dimension possibly because I have become bored with only four dimensions. And the fifth dimension is strange, it is also tactile, it is as though I can move around the other dimensions by touch. I can feel it now and I leap to meet it, it likes to move, it likes to dance, it likes to breathe, it might even like to swim in an ocean pool.

Of course it is a hidden dimension, not readily visible, and usually highly controlled, it is almost as though we might drown in print. But be warned: when they first teach you to read, they never tell you, you won't be able to stop. You've been suckered and now it passes beyond understanding.

It is like an old friend, like an imaginary friend, a friend with joie de vivre and good sense. Far too good for me, you might say, and how can I do anything else, but agree.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So is this similar to saying that imagination is the fifth dimension? It's an interesting notion to think of it as a different plane. I've heard people talk about 'idea space' where minds come together with shared, abstract ideas, and so I read your post a bit like it's 'imagination space' which is more individual and personal?

Do the gods dream? If so our existence could just be the very rich very detailed dreams of a diety. Which would mean our dreams are dreams within a dream. Rather Inception-ish eh?

Mole

Permabanned
So is this similar to saying that imagination is the fifth dimension? It's an interesting notion to think of it as a different plane. I've heard people talk about 'idea space' where minds come together with shared, abstract ideas, and so I read your post a bit like it's 'imagination space' which is more individual and personal?

In this case the fifth dimension is a conceit, it is a way of speaking, a figure of speech, it is not literally true, it is a metaphor. It rides on waves of feeling, it leaves the world of sight and entered the tactile world of touch. I reach out, I reach out, to touch you.

Mole

Permabanned
Do the gods dream? If so our existence could just be the very rich very detailed dreams of a diety. Which would mean our dreams are dreams within a dream. Rather Inception-ish eh?

Yes, and Inception can be practically applied. We can induce a trance with any repetition, then while in trance 1, we induce a second trance, and in trance 2 we induce a third trance, and in trance 3, we induce a fourth trance. And in trance level 4 we lose touch with reality, and whatever we imagine becomes reality for us.

The supernatural is usually experienced at trance level 4, where it is taken for reality.

Religions can be deeply entrancing, Inception is a vulgar expression of this in popular culture.

Deep trance is like a dream within a dream, within a dream, within a dream, within a dream, where we lose contact with reality, and we take the dream for reality, quite like Inception.

Well maybe Inception is vulgar but I'm a rather base creature.

As for religion, despite my comment I'm not particularly religious as far as I avoid organized religion. Having some hierarchy of other mere mortals dictate to me what is and isn't the will of a superior being based on books written by yet more mortals doesn't appeal to me. Whatever is between me and a divine entity is a private experience. If I've grossly misunderstood it's intent I'm sure he/she/it will instruct me properly when I shed this mortal coil.

Ah but I'm not Caliban so his horror isn't mine to carry. Neither is that god awful loincloth thankfully. And no I'm not horrified with myself. Occasionally disappointed? Absolutely. Horrified? No.

Mole

Permabanned
Ah but I'm not Caliban so his horror isn't mine to carry. Neither is that god awful loincloth thankfully. And no I'm not horrified with myself. Occasionally disappointed? Absolutely. Horrified? No.

What! You tell me yourself in your own words that you are a base creature. Caliban is our archtypical base creature. But now you tell me you are not Caliban, and you have no feeling of horror.

Shakespeare gave us Caliban, and he gave us Caliban from the inside, he paid Caliban the compliment of showing us how Caliban felt, and showed us Caliban's point of view.

You deny Caliban in yourself and reject the horror felt by Caliban, in fact you reject anything felt by Caliban, just as you reject your own feelings and mine.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

You would probably like the show American Gods.

Straylight

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I often discover new dimensions, for example: whenever I have to find the limit of a vector that requires a transformation with an additional tuple.

I think the highest number of dimensions I ever discovered when doing this sort of thing was around 100. At that point, my calculator got lazy and mad at me and just started estimating.

Mole

Permabanned
I often discover new dimensions, for example: whenever I have to find the limit of a vector that requires a transformation with an additional tuple.

I think the highest number of dimensions I ever discovered when doing this sort of thing was around 100. At that point, my calculator got lazy and mad at me and just started estimating.

While my dimension is imaginary, your 100 are mathematical.