User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Default Theory of Diametric Mind

I am new here, so maybe I am beating a dead horse, but I have come recently across a theory of the diametric mind:
    Brain Imaging Reveals the Diametric Mind | Psychology Today

Readers of these posts will by now be familiar with the diametric model of the mind. It holds that we have evolved parallel modes of cognition in relation to the mechanistic world of objects as opposed to the mentalistic world of other people. You just can't kick people out of your path the way you can stones. And as anyone who treats people like objects—or objects like people—soon learns, understanding the difference is crucial. Chronic behavior of the former kind may be diagnosed as autistic, and severe cases of the latter as psychotic, extending the model to mental illness too.
    There seem to be some parallels to MBTI concepts. Does it seem like a plausible model?

MBTI
    INFJ

Uh yeah, "mechanical reasoning" and "social reasoning"? That's just Thinking and Feeling. -.-

btw does anyone find that psychologytoday's interface is all screwed up, with the main menu overlaying with the text of the article?

MBTI
    INTJ

Exactly. But the interesting thing about this is, that if true, it would provide some actual, even though limited, evidence supporting MBTI. I haven't seen much of science behind MBTI (and related theories) so far.

And also, the whole autism / psychosis angle.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Gunboat Diplomat View Post
    Exactly. But the interesting thing about this is, that if true, it would provide some actual, even though limited, evidence supporting MBTI. I haven't seen much of science behind MBTI (and related theories) so far.
    Yeah that's a good thing I guess.

And also, the whole autism / psychosis angle.
    I don't get what the connection between psychosis and mechanical reasoning/ Thinking is.

I am new here, so maybe I am beating a dead horse, but I have come recently across a theory of the diametric mind:
    Brain Imaging Reveals the Diametric Mind | Psychology Today
    There seem to be some parallels to MBTI concepts. Does it seem like a plausible model?
    The purpose of mbti is reification. The purpose of mbti is to reify living persons into things.

This is because things are easier to control and manipulate than persons. And things have no natural rights under the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

And mbti particularly appeals to those who were psychologically damaged as children and who are unable to mature into happy satisfied adults.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    I don't get what the connection between psychosis and mechanical reasoning/ Thinking is.
    The connection is between psychosis and mentalistic thinking, on the opposite end of spectrum from autism/mechanistic thinking. Mentalistic thinking can result in reading too much meaning into something, anthropomorphising, suspecting more agency than there is. And psychosis would be an extreme form of that, like delusions and paranoia.

There are some other interesting relationships explained by the theory, e.g. mentalists tend to be conformists because they can empathise, while mechanists tend to be individualists, just because they don't understand social behaviours and expectations.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    The purpose of mbti is reification. The purpose of mbti is to reify living persons into things.

This is because things are easier to control and manipulate than persons. And things have no natural rights under the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
    This is definitely an interesting take. I can see that categorising people can, in a way, dehumanise them. But is it always the case? We often categorise people as children or women. And then give them more rights/protections in some situations then generic people.

And mbti particularly appeals to those who were psychologically damaged as children and who are unable to mature into happy satisfied adults.
    That might be the case, but reading the forums, I don't see more psychologically damaged people than elsewhere. I am not very observant though. It could be the case, that happy satisfied people don't feel the need to understand why they are happy.

MBTI
    INFJ

The connection is between psychosis and mentalistic thinking, on the opposite end of spectrum from autism/mechanistic thinking. Mentalistic thinking can result in reading too much meaning into something, anthropomorphising, suspecting more agency than there is. And psychosis would be an extreme form of that, like delusions and paranoia.

There are some other interesting relationships explained by the theory, e.g. mentalists tend to be conformists because they can empathise, while mechanists tend to be individualists, just because they don't understand social behaviours and expectations.
    Oh right, I read it the other way around.

Still, if mentalistic thinking is Feeling, then this is the first time that I'd heard that there was a connection between Feeling and psychosis. I don't know what the connections between psychosis and type is, but I had figured it would be linked to Intuition, if anything.

MBTI
    INTJ

Yes, it's a good point about Intuition. I haven't heard about the connection between Feeling and psychosis before either. But there seem to be some pretty clear parallels. For example, a typical description of a Feeling type would mention an interest in other people and social situations (as opposed to an interest in abstract systems and ideas of the Thinking types). Apparently, brain scans of paranoid schizophrenic subjects show, that their medial pre-frontal cortex is active most of the time, as opposed to most other people. Normally, the medial pre-frontal cortex is active when forming intentions involving other people.

MBTI
    INFJ

Yes, it's a good point about Intuition. I haven't heard about the connection between Feeling and psychosis before either. But there seem to be some pretty clear parallels. For example, a typical description of a Feeling type would mention an interest in other people and social situations (as opposed to an interest in abstract systems and ideas of the Thinking types). Apparently, brain scans of paranoid schizophrenic subjects show, that their medial pre-frontal cortex is active most of the time, as opposed to most other people. Normally, the medial pre-frontal cortex is active when forming intentions involving other people.
    I'm interested in the question because I'm diagnosed as a schizophrenic. I thought schizophrenia was more to do with spiritual experiences, a dreamlike perception of reality, flights of fantasy and the like. I'd be interested to see what a brain scan of myself would show. I don't understand my diagnosis*, but I'm sure the people of the forum who saw my behaviour on here last year would get it...

* and I mean, if schizophrenia is as I just described it, then obviously I get why, because those were what I identified as the primary symptoms. There was some stuff regarding intentions of other people in the sense of hypothesising people doing things behind the scenes? But that was secondary to the main spiritual developments.