• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Moral sense - moral system testing

Taibreah

I would have taken it, but the background is bright orange. My poor senses! Oh well. :p

Methylene

Now with more salt.
MBTI Type
LVEF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
"Press the space bar to begin"
...I'm from mobile.

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Your average morality judgment was 4 out of 7. The red line represents your score! Scores closer to zero tend to indicate more emotional, 'deontological' decision making, whereas scores near 7 are related with rational utilitarianism.

Your average empathy judgment was 3 out of 5. The red line represents your score!

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I started taking the tests and may go back to finish. On the morality test, I tend to find those scenarios as presenting two wrong choices, and do not feel there is a morally "right" thing to do. I think it is possible in reality to be confronted with only wrong choices and then having to deal with the guilt and confusion of being forced to make one. You can take the utilitarian approach and just always choose the fewest numbers of people killed, but I think an actual scenario like the ones described are more complex, and so a person may only know what decision they would actually make if they experienced it. Sometimes a person could try a third option and sometime a person could make one of the forced choices based on an instinctual response of what seemed best at the time. While I haven't had to choose which people die in my life experience, I have had scenarios with two wrong choices and so I tend to insist they are both wrong, but that sometimes we have to choose what is wrong and live with it. I may come back with some scores if I have time to go back and take the test.

Kas

Fabula rasa
Your average morality judgment was 2 out of 7. The red line represents your score!
Scores closer to zero tend to indicate more emotional, 'deontological' decision making, whereas scores near 7 are related with rational utilitarianism.

Your average disgust judgment was 3 out of 5
Disgust is a visceral response to interacting with things, people or actions that we find to be wrong or bad. It makes intuitive sense that feelings of disgust factor in to moral decision making. The more disgusted we are by an unethical action, the more likely we are to judge the action (and its perpetrator) harshly. Conversely, people who score low on disgust scales might be more willing to endorse utilitarian actions that require doing some harm to bring about a greater good. Some esearchers have theorized that disgust is the embodiment of the emotional, deontological response we have to moral dilemmas.

Your average empathy judgment was 3 out of 5.
Emotions play an important role in dictating moral judgment. In our research, compassion is a particularly relevant personality trait. Having empathy for others means that we (usually) don't want to see other people getting hurt. We're able to put ourselves in someone elses shoes and reason about how bad it must feel. The extent to which you feel empathy partially determines how you react in tricky ethical situations. For example, a person who is less sensitive to the pain of others is more likely to endorse sacrificing one person for the good of the many. On the other hand, those who score high on our empathy scale tend to be more generous and less selfish in dilemmas involving their own personal gain.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Your average morality judgment was 6 out of 7. The red line represents your score! Scores closer to zero tend to indicate more emotional, 'deontological' decision making, whereas scores near 7 are related with rational utilitarianism.

Your average empathy judgment was 3 out of 5.

Your average disgust judgment was 3 out of 5.

thepink-cloakedninja

Marshmallow Heart
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Why do none of these have self-sacrifice as an option? Let me escape the dilemma, pleeeaaaassssseeeee!!!!!

Also, I think my answers were influenced by the fact that both potential outcomes were given to me point blank whereas in real life, there would be a chance that I could take the means-to-the-ends approach and still have everything turn out good. This told me what would happen either way so it was just a matter of picking the less of two evils.

Also this question

Babies can breathe through their noses. In fact, babies can't even breathe through their mouths until they're a few months old. :huh:

Your average morality judgment was 6 out of 7.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
The issue with the questions is that the outcome is known. In real-life, you would be faced with not knowing. Thus, the moral dilemmas measure little.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
morality was 5 out of 7

both empathy and disgust were 3... anything involving my sense of smell got me on the disgust one

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
The issue with the questions is that the outcome is known. In real-life, you would be faced with not knowing. Thus, the moral dilemmas measure little.

The goal of the morality test is to see what are the main "processes" involved in your moral reasoning/preferences. So even with imperfect questions-answers it still manages to do just that

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
The goal of the morality test is to see what are the main "processes" involved in your moral reasoning/preferences. So even with imperfect questions-answers it still manages to do just that

No, it doesn't.

Morality: 5 out of 7

Empathy: 3 out of 5

Disgust: 3 out of 5

I hope I never encounter any of the hypothetical situations from the morality test in real life. I was cringing the whole way through because there weren't any good answers to choose from without being ridden with extreme guilt. Just put me out of my misery so I don't have to choose. :freaked:

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Agreed. It's easy to sit in a comfortable place and take some online test. When shit goes down and we are put into kill or be killed, we all have the capacity to make "terrible" choices. It then comes down to who you know, who you have loyalties and ties with and that becomes instinctive. Most of the time, it's split second decisions that cannot be thought over twice. Moral "dilemmas" are Monday morning quarterbacking.

Empathy and Morality: 3 out of 5
Disgust: 2

I'm not easily disgusted. I already know this.

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Sorry, I don't feel like elaborating. If you would like to convince me of why you think the questions work, I'm happy to hear it.

what's in it for me?

*that's a moral development stage joke*
*coughs*
*crickets*
:coffee:

Flâneuse

don't ask me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
disgust score - 2 out of 5

empathy score - 3 out of 5

morality score - 4 out of 7. There were a lot of factors involved in how justifiable I thought the utilitarian sacrifice in each question was, but the main one was whether the death of the sacrificed person was inevitable anyway. (For example, throwing the gravely injured person out of the boat to keep it from sinking is far more justifiable than throwing the bystander onto the tracks to stop the train).

I think my answers were influenced by the fact that both potential outcomes were given to me point blank whereas in real life, there would be a chance that I could take the means-to-the-ends approach and still have everything turn out good. This told me what would happen either way so it was just a matter of picking the less of two evils.
This. Real life is nothing like that. In real life all you have are your predictions of what's going to happen, and in most situations I would not be confident enough in my ability to foresee outcomes to choose to sacrifice someone's life based on it. (What if the sacrifice doesn't actually end up preventing any more deaths? What if there's a turn of events that saves everybody and the sacrifice would have been unnecessary anyway? etc.) Also, most real life situations are far more open-ended than the clear-cut either/or dilemmas on the test, and it's sometimes possible to find another way out that gives everyone a decent chance of survival without having to use someone as means to an end. (Though I also recognize there are circumstances where this isn't realistically possible, where your potential choices are very limited or there simply isn't enough time to find a better way.)

When shit goes down and we are put into kill or be killed, we all have the capacity to make "terrible" choices. It then comes down to who you know, who you have loyalties and ties with and that becomes instinctive. Most of the time, it's split second decisions that cannot be thought over twice. Moral "dilemmas" are Monday morning quarterbacking.
Or, less idealistically, this. As much as I’d like to think I would calmly reason my way to the fairest and most morally sound (or least morally repugnant) choice, and then actually have the courage to act on it, it's likely I would react primarily on emotion and instinct. Most people tend to overestimate how calmly, bravely and nobly they would act in life-or-death situations, and many would rather harshly judge people who have behaved less-than-optimally in such situations as stupid, cowardly, or selfish rather than consider how they might have acted the same.