User Tag List

12 Last

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Default All people are the same?

Why is this a popular idea? I was discussing the recent school massacre with my co-worker, with her claiming everyone would like to get violent after being treated a certain way. I claimed otherwise and gave an example, with her refuting the idea - I'd just get violent some time later. Someone wouldn't feel violent at all? He would just be repressing his violent traits.

I tried to hint about different psychological behaviors, with someone getting depressed and the other person getting anxious over the same incident. She didn't listen to me long tho.

It's not an isolated incident. Why do people maintain the idea that one internal psychology fits all? It really doesn't. It doesn't mean that everyone's just an individual and there's no unifying factors, either.

I think this line of thinking might result from inadequate exposure to conflicting emotions. If someone always resolves their problems by eating blueberry pie, then hurrah, your problems are always resolved by eating blueberry pie, and that's the way things are.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INFP

Internal psychology is a combination of nature and nurture. Sometimes, you get the wrong combination of nature mixed with nurture, which leads to an incident such as a school massacre.

Different combinations are going to produce different results. Not everybody has the same potential. There are so many variables involved internally, it would be ridiculous to assume one persons behavior, would automatically equal enough persons behavior, in a set of similar circumstances.
    It's just a ride

It depends. If you make a situation unique and specific enough, there would be no common responses at all. And if you do the opposite and generalize enough, then in some cases the one-size-fits-all psychology can actually be correct.

As for why people believe this, why wouldn't they? It's difficult to see outside of one's own prespective, and it takes an extraordinary person to overcome this bias.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

I do believe the vast majority of people could be driven to psychosis. Thankfully, few are.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    I do believe the vast majority of people could be driven to psychosis. Thankfully, few are.
    I also believe this. People just have different thresholds.
    It's just a ride

MBTI
    ENTP

Everybody's got his own break-point, and usually is about the same for everyone. It's just that some people have it in different levels.
    5w4 - Idiosyncratic/Leisurely/Dramatic
    It's the devil's way now.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

There are definitely psychological principals that hold across all humans. They're manifested quite differently, though, based on differing genetics and nurture.

Kind of a simple answer, but what more can you say?

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Quote Originally Posted by Santtu View Post
    Why is this a popular idea? I was discussing the recent school massacre with my co-worker, with her claiming everyone would like to get violent after being treated a certain way. I claimed otherwise and gave an example, with her refuting the idea - I'd just get violent some time later. Someone wouldn't feel violent at all? He would just be repressing his violent traits.

I tried to hint about different psychological behaviors, with someone getting depressed and the other person getting anxious over the same incident. She didn't listen to me long tho.

It's not an isolated incident. Why do people maintain the idea that one internal psychology fits all? It really doesn't. It doesn't mean that everyone's just an individual and there's no unifying factors, either.

I think this line of thinking might result from inadequate exposure to conflicting emotions. If someone always resolves their problems by eating blueberry pie, then hurrah, your problems are always resolved by eating blueberry pie, and that's the way things are.
    Eh, no idea. We are not all the same, not by a long shot, and it's a good thing too. I mean, shit, imagine if everyone were like *me*. We'd have no accountants, mathematicians or scientists. We'd have no janitors or housecleaners or office ladies. We'd have no psychologists or analysts. Eh, not to mention the fact that we'd have a bunch of crazy, emotionally intense folks running around that plan their lives for ten years but just can't seem to lift their plans off the ground. Eh, who needs a earth filled with people like that? You can only stand so many of us at once.

I mean, I'm cool beans, but only in small amounts (that's why I'm so short, hehehhe).
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

Banned
    MBTI
    ENTP

Yes, as in "wherever you go there you are."

MBTI
    istp

at some point, all matter is the same, so all people are the same in a limited number of ways, and past that--considering we have over 6.5 billion instances--branch out in almost every direction based on the variables.