• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why Mental Health Should Be Covered

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Im so glad this bill didnt go through. Mental health treatment really oftentimes gets the shaft when it comes to how our country views the need for it. There is such stigma out there when it comes to people suffering from mental health conditions anyways that in a large part that even effects the number of people who seek out treatment. Our country really needs to acknowledge that mental illness is a serious REAL thing- but something that there can be things done for- that its not hopeless if you are mentally ill- and that there should be more options- more support- more encouragement to seek help that DOES exist- not less.

Because being mentally ill, being alone with that and then being told that there really is nothing that you can do about it- no options for you, is one of the most terrifying things I can think of.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Im so glad this bill didnt go through. Mental health treatment really oftentimes gets the shaft when it comes to how our country views the need for it. There is such stigma out there when it comes to people suffering from mental health conditions anyways that in a large part that even effects the number of people who seek out treatment. Our country really needs to acknowledge that mental illness is a serious REAL thing- but something that there can be things done for- that its not hopeless if you are mentally ill- and that there should be more options- more support- more encouragement to seek help that DOES exist- not less.

Because being mentally ill, being alone with that and then being told that there really is nothing that you can do about it- no options for you, is one of the most terrifying things I can think of.

yes or because you're not naked on the street ranting, you're normal, which ime most of those people are also on drugs.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Because our mental as well as out emotional health plays one of the Biggest roles in regard to our interactions with society. Without a good mental and emotional health we cause ourselves HUGE issues. It's increases EVERYONE'S quality of living.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Because our mental as well as out emotional health plays one of the Biggest roles in regard to our interactions with society. Without a good mental and emotional health we cause ourselves HUGE issues. It's increases EVERYONE'S quality of living.

OOh I never considered that, but yeah that's true

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
From the heart, trying to illustrate what people with mental health needs go through all the time. Thank you for writing this, and if anyone from the masses comments negatively on it please just ignore them.

If we had less stigmas about needing the medications (which, overall, I believe our society is moving in the right direction with this) and continuing to cover patients, I am hoping this will result in less mental health patients feeling the need to prove themselves or go off their meds.

Mole

Permabanned
Even those free from mental illness hide or deny their inner life. This makes it difficult or impossible for the mentally ill to openly discuss their inner life.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
From the heart, trying to illustrate what people with mental health needs go through all the time. Thank you for writing this, and if anyone from the masses comments negatively on it please just ignore them.

If we had less stigmas about needing the medications (which, overall, I believe our society is moving in the right direction with this) and continuing to cover patients, I am hoping this will result in less mental health patients feeling the need to prove themselves or go off their meds.

Thanks, I'm not totally sure if getting rid of stigma will guarantee everyone continues to take meds, though i'm sure it'll help for a lot. Like for me I went off them because i really believed i didn't need them that my diagnosis was a lie

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Thanks, I'm not totally sure if getting rid of stigma will guarantee everyone continues to take meds, though i'm sure it'll help for a lot. Like for me I went off them because i really believed i didn't need them that my diagnosis was a lie

Yeah, I do have patients like that. Particularly and schizo-affective disorders and the like tend to cycle through feeling better with meds, desiring this to be a part of who they are, and then trying to prove to themselves they can be 'normal' (whatever that means), and then go off the meds... all over again. That's if they don't have voices or paranoid thoughts telling them people are trying to poison them or steal thoughts or things like that.

this-is-an-antidepressant-this-is-shit-93-43-true-11073603.png

Memes like this and the thinkings behind them permeate our culture currently regardless. Even when a patient of mine sometimes thinks their meds are good, the families might be really concerned. Especially true of younger folk. (My nephew, for example, asks for his medication because he likes that he can participate in school on it. His mother? We can't even tell he he takes them, because she has mental health issues and believes doctors are trying to poison her kid or something.)

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Yeah, I do have patients like that. Particularly and schizo-affective disorders and the like tend to cycle through feeling better with meds, desiring this to be a part of who they are, and then trying to prove to themselves they can be 'normal' (whatever that means), and then go off the meds... all over again. That's if they don't have voices or paranoid thoughts telling them people are trying to poison them or steal thoughts or things like that.

this-is-an-antidepressant-this-is-shit-93-43-true-11073603.png

Memes like this and the thinkings behind them permeate our culture currently regardless. Even when a patient of mine sometimes thinks their meds are good, the families might be really concerned. Especially true of younger folk. (My nephew, for example, asks for his medication because he likes that he can participate in school on it. His mother? We can't even tell he he takes them, because she has mental health issues and believes doctors are trying to poison her kid or something.)

There's a second part to the bolded though, at least for me in the past if i'm stable i question if that experience actually happened or was it really as bad as i made it out to be like was i exaggerating. and now i've learned to reflect back hard and usually its like Prpl, you couldn't make it to class you were so paranoid you didn't leave the house or talk to anyone. but yeah it's sad that people treat meds with such disdain when it's like i wouldn't be human without them. like last major episode i thought people were trying to poison me (2 room mates, i lived with 3 people at the time) so i would buy single serving stuff that i could eat right then and check the packaging for holes. then i moved out and because i wasn't around them i was relieved still believed that's what they were trying to do. then i kept getting worse (I went off of meds for 15 months) and by the end i thought there were spies every where to get me and ruin my life so that was when i stopped leaving my apartment. oh and snails and bugs were aliens spying on me, i still have some hallucinations but not really paranoia (which i found the delusions and paranoia more debilitating than hallucinations for me personally) but i can manage them on meds and they happen once or twice a month. and i can quickly realize that's what they are.