• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Dreamer: Are you a dreamer, realist, stoic, pragmatist, optimist or pessimist

Cautiously realistic. So realist with pessimistic leanings as a security measure. Daydreaming is my hobby.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I am both a dreamer and a realist, and I consider myself an optimist.

Morpeko

Noble Wolf
MBTI Type
LEFV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm definitely a pessimist most of the time, but a realist on my rare good days.

Mesmeric_Moon

Soul Reaver
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Are you a dreamer, realist, stoic, pragmatist, optimist or pessimist?
Depending on their definitions, who's using them and when: all of those and none of them.

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
“We need to make the dreams into a united real and shining future and to do this make it a part of our consciousness. We need a future, a new vista and horizon to propel ourselves onward into the mysterious sometimes frightening, mysterious, and captivating all rolled up into one future. Once there part of our minds and consciousness, we feel invincible, or at the very least that we have the greatest chance to prevail. We believe we have a tomorrow and many tomorrows and those we have at least a chance.

That is all the human spirit needs a belief in itself and in a brighter future, and simply a chance to make all this happen as well as transpire. It is with joy that I embrace the vision and carry it forward." "Without dreams we could not have the hope and strength to survive. It is our dreams that march us forward into the future against all odds and adversity. Because we believe we can prevail. We can see it, believe it. It becomes a part of our consciousness.

Once there part of our minds and consciousness, we feel invincible, or at the very least that we have a good chance to prevail. That we have a tomorrow and many tomorrows. That we have at least a chance. That is all the human spirit needs a belief in itself, in a brighter future, and simply a chance to make all this happen as well as transpire. To make our destiny an actuality." “What is a dreamer anyhow? A mystic seer who perhaps sees into the canvas of human mortality, all the way back into the canvas of time of all those who have come before us?

Perhaps I am a pragmatic dreamer. Life is drudgery without dreams, but dreams are worthless unless they can somehow be translated into reality. This oracle thus delivers: and comes back with answers to our world's woes. Shall we embrace this wisdom shared from the veritable ancients, or should we laugh in an ignorant way to that which we may not understand currently." Dreams can be sub-divided into both concrete goals and fervent dreams of the human conscious:

We have different vantage points as well some perceptions on exactly what is the definition of goal as well wish. I don't find the two synonymous. Goal by my definition is more concrete. First come the idea, or wish, and vision. After this can come some concrete goals in putting a wish into fruition. It is our dreams that march us forward into the future against all odds and adversity. Because we believe, we can prevail. We can see it and believe it. It becomes part of our consciousness. Once there part of our minds and consciousness, we feel invincible, or at the very least that we have a good chance to prevail.

We believe we have a tomorrow and many tomorrows and those we have at least a chance. That is all the human spirit needs a belief in itself, in a brighter future, and simply a chance to make all this happen as well as transpire. Thus, we make our destiny come alive. A dream, fire, vision, passion or cause gives hope, faith and fortitude of the inner will power within us." "Each star in the heavens is as an enlightened one. One day your star or mine may be up there.

I do not know if it will happen, nonetheless it is a refreshing thought that gives me hope and inspiration as well. Every day we wake refreshed and in a sense we are a brand new totally new person with fresh dreams, fresh vigor and fresh hope. Sleep is like the mini-death. We awaken with fresh insights on how to deal with our daily problems as well fresh visions on how to attain our dreams, which are extremely important. Without dreams what is the point of living? We need a future, a new vista and horizon to propel ourselves onward into the mysterious future. Sometimes frightening, mysterious, and captivating all rolled up into one, Peace and Blessings and many full sweet dreams.”

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Optimistic dreamer on the inside, stoic pragmatist on the outside.

Lark

As in all those things at different times? I guess that'd be right, on the other hand being stoic used to mean something other than a temperamental response or mindset, though its like being described as a gentleman means mainly manners and not social class or sometimes people describe individuals or actions as Christian when they really mean kind (well, it still happens here sometimes, mainly among more aged people).

- - - Updated - - -

Depending on their definitions, who's using them and when: all of those and none of them.

I think this may have been [MENTION=195]Jaguar[/MENTION]'s point when he posted "Yes".

Lark

Stoic uber mensch.

I'd wondered if I'd posted in this thread yet.

By and large I agree with the people who'd said all of them or none of them, although I think at the same time its a good idea not to be constantly in flux and just mirroring whatever is going on.

I see a lot of publishing trending at the moment which is to do with stoicism, it seems a little like "mindfulness 2.0", I'm not sure how that will play out but I remember reading Seneca's letters and I liked what he had to say.

In many things I tend to be a pragmatist, I dont like the alternative a lot of the time, though the weakness of pragmatism tends to be that others are fond of the alternative. Its difficult to be pragmatic with the sorts of craziness which wants to get medieval brutality and violence trending again.

Bernard Crick, brilliant UK political and literary writer who tried to get citizenship trending and wrote a biography of Orwell, had some interesting things to say about political values and time, also about George Orwell's perspective on pessimism and optimism. Crick rejected some of the trendy views of Orwell which suggest he could have been bipolar or troubled in some way, alternating between waxing lyrical about humanity, humanism, life "despite it all" kind of thing and gloomy realism, doom. Crick instead said he was a "short term pessimist, long term optimist". Which is to say "things will get worse before they get better".

I kind of think the same way.

I've found the same idea in other authors, Erich Fromm's notes on his therapeutic approach with people include the idea of a duty of candor when dealing with clients, so for instance when he met people who described their situation and said "I cant go on this way", he used to respond "no, you've been going on like this for some time so its a real possibility that you will go on this way". Although I think this idea is a little different to the idea that you have to reach real rock bottom before you can begin again.

Fromm thought in a sociological sense that mankind's essence wasnt aligned with his existence any longer, so far so classically marxist pretty much, that's just alienation theory. However, Fromm was able to say that while mankind, individually, socially, is capable of a huge amount of adaptation its not infinite. After a while the atrophy and entropy will occasion a crisis and then change, not necessarily change for the better, that depends on a lot of variables but the change/tipping point will come. That's the pessimistic part. The optimistic point is that the crisis is because the essence doesnt match the existence, so the essence cant be erased, it reasserts itself, all the time, unconsciously if its been repressed. So there's that. I do believe those are insightful ideas, individually and socially.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Assuming that “dreamer” = “idealist”... pragmatic dreamer, for sure.

I aspire to be more stoic, but so much of stoicism is antithetical to idealism.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I honestly at first thought this was a thread to the mod [MENTION=25763]Dreamer[/MENTION]

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
I am...hmm. Very...what is it when someone can point out the worst, most morbid possible solution, things that make others ask " What the hell is wrong with you?!" but in very amused and cheerful tone?

I'm not being edgy I'm genially curious. People mistake my intentions. I am not at all negative as I find the....capricious nature of existence to be an ...exciting thing. Keeps me on toes and never bored. But I am horrible at expressing this and I would other people to understand my viewpoint.

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I honestly at first thought this was a thread to the mod @Dreamer

Haha totally. This thread popped up a few times in my feed and each time I saw it I thought it was a thread directed towards me. I'd then go into a mild panic mode thinking, "what'd I do now?!"

Morpeko

Noble Wolf
MBTI Type
LEFV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm a hardcore pessimist who sees a half-empty glass as fully empty because I'm kind of delusional.

At the same time, I have too many hopes and dreams for things to get better, even though I know they can't come true.

Saturnal Snowqueen

Solastalgia 𓍊𓋼𓍊𓋼𓍊
MBTI Type
FELV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
It depends on my mood, really. Sometimes I want to stop and smell the flowers, other days I want to unleash all my morbid humor. I'd say my main mode of operation is realism, telling myself that realistically, that is unlikely to happen, based on probability and past experiences. Which, could be a bad thing or a good thing. My pessimism is mostly geared towards lack of confidence in my ambitions, while my optimism is geared more towards little things(ex. Burnt fries? Extra crunchy!).

Mole

Permabanned
I am an idealist bitten by reality.

I had an ideal childhood which allowed me to follow my ideals. I found though in reality that many only want to do as they are told and feel good. This excludes critical thinking which can lead to cognitive dissonance and emotional pain. So it means control rather than discovery.

But far worse, I found there are some who lie most of the time and take pleasure in harming others. and they do this under the radar.

But there is a core of me that follows ideals, with some difficulty.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I would say I am a realist, with a flair of optimistic pessimism. I expect nothing, but enjoy being pleasantly surprised when things go my way. All while working towards realistic goals.