Thread: I swear

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Default I swear

Okay so usually I'm the kind of person who refrains from swearing lots believing it good practice and good manners (not that I ever understood the latter). However I've had my perceptions of swearing challenged by simply watching a man who enjoys language.. Mr Stephen Fry.

As he argues swearing is nothing to do with a poor vocabulary and in fact is often indicative of the opposite. He also points out that although many say it is unnecessary that such is a ridiculous remark as coloured socks are unnecessary.

The largest revelation, which is one that I'm still mulling over, is that he states that most people who claim to be offended by swearing itself (this is obviously apart from them being offended by what message the words may be conveying) are usually offended because of what they think other's reactions will be. This kind of rings true to me with most castisements comming from people with the lines of "What would your mother think?" or "You wouldn't say that to X would you?".

Anyhow I thought I'd just open this up to you guys and see what you think.

Is swearing part of the language to be used with freedom and relish?
    Is swearing intrinsically wrong?
    If you do object to swearing is it more the poor usage (like using one certain common four letter word as punctuation) or is it just swearing itself?
    What do you think to the idea that being offended by swearing is more social responsibility than being offended by the words yourself?
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

Banned
    MBTI
    type

You're right, of course. Good artists don't even really use it for shock value, it's a stylistic choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    You're right, of course. Good artists don't even really use it for shock value, it's a stylistic choice.
    Yes, this is quite right.

And a good artist never swears unintentionally.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Swearing makes anything funnier and more interesting, if it's not overdone (See: Bob Saget).

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Well, just to echo the first two responses, I was always of the opinion that South Park was funnier with the beeps in rather than the "uncensored" version. Somehow that program passes from funny usage of expletives to just unending torrent in some vain attempt to be shocking.

The only time in my entire life that my father swore at me was when I backed his new car into a tree.

I never forgot it.

MBTI
    istp

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    He also points out that although many say it is unnecessary that such is a ridiculous remark as coloured socks are unnecessary.
    Swearing is a hell of a lot more necessary than colored socks.
    No offense.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I think it's okay to use language like that casually with people that you know don't mind it. If you're in public or you don't know if the person minds, then it's in poor taste to use it.

Using such words as insults should be done only in the direst circumstances, if at all.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    The only time in my entire life that my father swore at me was when I backed his new car into a tree.

I never forgot it.

Something to add to the 'Sensotard' thread?
    Quote Originally Posted by 6sticks View Post
    Swearing is a hell of a lot more necessary than colored socks.
    Well not really. Most of the usage of swearing is entirely innappropriate and an abuse to swearing properly. Artful usage however is entertaining, colourful (note the U in that... bloomin colonic spellers) and adds spice to conversation. In fact, continuing with the spice analogy, good usage brings out the flavour, poor usage drowns it.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    I think it's okay to use language like that with people that you know don't mind it. If you're in public or you don't know if the person minds, then it's in poor taste to use it.
    Have you never wondered though why a simple word can cause so much panic? I mean I realise that it does and some of the people I hold very dear to me are offended by it but I go along with this concept of decency more out of feeling responsible to their emotional state than actually finding the word innappropriate (though I do wonder if that is the core definition of the classification "innappropriate").

When I am put off by swearing, upon fresh analysis, I conclude it's more because of it's poor use than the fact that it is swearing. The response is similar to when people use any language poorly.