• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I swear

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Okay so usually I'm the kind of person who refrains from swearing lots believing it good practice and good manners (not that I ever understood the latter). However I've had my perceptions of swearing challenged by simply watching a man who enjoys language.. Mr Stephen Fry.

As he argues swearing is nothing to do with a poor vocabulary and in fact is often indicative of the opposite. He also points out that although many say it is unnecessary that such is a ridiculous remark as coloured socks are unnecessary.

The largest revelation, which is one that I'm still mulling over, is that he states that most people who claim to be offended by swearing itself (this is obviously apart from them being offended by what message the words may be conveying) are usually offended because of what they think other's reactions will be. This kind of rings true to me with most castisements comming from people with the lines of "What would your mother think?" or "You wouldn't say that to X would you?".

Anyhow I thought I'd just open this up to you guys and see what you think.

Is swearing part of the language to be used with freedom and relish?
Is swearing intrinsically wrong?
If you do object to swearing is it more the poor usage (like using one certain common four letter word as punctuation) or is it just swearing itself?
What do you think to the idea that being offended by swearing is more social responsibility than being offended by the words yourself?

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
You're right, of course. Good artists don't even really use it for shock value, it's a stylistic choice.

Mole

Permabanned
You're right, of course. Good artists don't even really use it for shock value, it's a stylistic choice.

Yes, this is quite right.

And a good artist never swears unintentionally.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Swearing makes anything funnier and more interesting, if it's not overdone (See: Bob Saget).

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Well, just to echo the first two responses, I was always of the opinion that South Park was funnier with the beeps in rather than the "uncensored" version. Somehow that program passes from funny usage of expletives to just unending torrent in some vain attempt to be shocking.

Mole

Permabanned
The only time in my entire life that my father swore at me was when I backed his new car into a tree.

I never forgot it.

6sticks

MBTI Type
istp
He also points out that although many say it is unnecessary that such is a ridiculous remark as coloured socks are unnecessary.
Swearing is a hell of a lot more necessary than colored socks.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I think it's okay to use language like that casually with people that you know don't mind it. If you're in public or you don't know if the person minds, then it's in poor taste to use it.

Using such words as insults should be done only in the direst circumstances, if at all.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
The only time in my entire life that my father swore at me was when I backed his new car into a tree.

I never forgot it.
:rofl1:
Something to add to the 'Sensotard' thread?
Swearing is a hell of a lot more necessary than colored socks.
Well not really. Most of the usage of swearing is entirely innappropriate and an abuse to swearing properly. Artful usage however is entertaining, colourful (note the U in that... bloomin colonic spellers) and adds spice to conversation. In fact, continuing with the spice analogy, good usage brings out the flavour, poor usage drowns it.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
I think it's okay to use language like that with people that you know don't mind it. If you're in public or you don't know if the person minds, then it's in poor taste to use it.
Have you never wondered though why a simple word can cause so much panic? I mean I realise that it does and some of the people I hold very dear to me are offended by it but I go along with this concept of decency more out of feeling responsible to their emotional state than actually finding the word innappropriate (though I do wonder if that is the core definition of the classification "innappropriate").

When I am put off by swearing, upon fresh analysis, I conclude it's more because of it's poor use than the fact that it is swearing. The response is similar to when people use any language poorly.

6sticks

MBTI Type
istp
Well not really. Most of the usage of swearing is entirely innappropriate and an abuse to swearing properly. Artful usage however is entertaining, colourful (note the U in that... bloomin colonic spellers) and adds spice to conversation. In fact, continuing with the spice analogy, good usage brings out the flavour, poor usage drowns it.
Yeah, but countinuing with the analogy, add coloured soucks to soup and the flavour is souddenly unsavourably sour. Sou coloured soucks are absoulutely useless, you getting me guvnah?

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
When I am put off by swearing, upon fresh analysis, I conclude it's more because of it's poor use than the fact that it is swearing. The response is similar to when people use any language poorly.

I suppose that is the real reason why people are offended... it's just that swearing is most likely to be charged with the connotation of being poor use in and of itself, and thus using that kind of language is a pushing it a bit, even if you don't mean it poorly. Poor use of language is always inappropriate, of course.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Yeah, but countinuing with the analogy, add coloured soucks to soup and the flavour is souddenly unsavourably sour. Sou coloured soucks are absoulutely useless, you getting me guvnah?
:D I see your problem. What about spicy socks though? The socks are useful but are the spices really necessary?
:newwink:
I suppose that is the real reason why people are offended... it's just that swearing is most likely to be charged with the connotation of being poor use in and of itself, and thus using that kind of language is a pushing it a bit, even if you don't mean it poorly. Poor use of language is always inappropriate, of course.
I guess then the question becomes, what is good use of swearing?

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I guess then the question becomes, what is good use of swearing?

Well, when it's used to express frustration at a situation or quality (rather than as an insult), around people one knows don't mind it being used in this fashion, although not too many times close together. It can be used when alone in any sense, of course.

It's never really good to use it as an insult, but if someone deliberately does something aggravating to you, and you curse at them, it's rather understandable if not proper.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Well, when it's used to express frustration at a situation or quality (rather than as an insult), around people one knows don't mind it being used in this fashion, although not too many times close together. It can be used when alone in any sense, of course.

It's never really good to use it as an insult, but if someone deliberately does something aggravating to you, and you curse at them, it's rather understandable if not proper.
*hoping this is treated as in context and not cause the thread to shift to the graveyard*

So you've never known anyone deserving of the title arsehole? That would be fortunate indeed. The simple matter is that some things deserve the use of stronger language. Personally I think the problem is that it's being used for more frequent and rather more lame circumstances and hence is becoming increasingly less popular but more prevalent (if that makes sense).

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
So you've never known anyone deserving of the title arsehole? That would be fortunate indeed. The simple matter is that some things deserve the use of stronger language. Personally I think the problem is that it's being used for more frequent and rather more lame circumstances and hence is becoming increasingly less popular but more prevalent (if that makes sense).

Actually, I would mutter "arsehole" under my breath as a censored way of saying a$$hole. Yes, of course I have known people who deserved to be called that. But the question is, am I willing to give them what they deserve, right then and there, and possibly make them mad enough to do something to me, or should I hold my tongue and swallow it to keep things going smoothly? That's always the big question, with any insult or negative remark, but especially with cursing.

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP
I have a huge respect for sweary powers.

It's a gift.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Actually, I would mutter "arsehole" under my breath as a censored way of saying a$$hole. Yes, of course I have known people who deserved to be called that. But the question is, am I willing to give them what they deserve, right then and there, and possibly make them mad enough to do something to me, or should I hold my tongue and swallow it to keep things going smoothly? That's always the big question, with any insult or negative remark, but especially with cursing.
So it would be fair to say you are more concerned with their reaction than any integral distaste for the word itself?

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
When placed and timed appropriately, swear words can really make a powerful impact on what you say. They can make what you've just said funnier, more frightening, more important, more powerful, more serious. Swear words do a lot of things that other words might not necessarily achieve. However, when they are overused, it can make what someone is saying annoying, limp, and tiresome at best. For example, the overuse of "fuck" is just as irritating to me as the overuse of "like" in sentences. In my book, they stem from the same problem: a difficulty articulating one's thoughts or emotions in a concise and accurate manner.

I think there's also a bit of an association with an informal attitude with swearing. I think that's why work places would rather you not swear. Not because it's neccessarily offensive, but because it's too informal, just like wearing your old t-shirt, shorts, and sandals to work is too informal.

I'm sure there are a number of other cultural associations with swearing. The association of such words with the lower-class, criminals, and/or otherwise unsavory folk, for example.

Ilah

MBTI Type
INTJ
I think swear words should be used very sparring, for people, things or situation that really deserve it. I have a strong dislike for people who use it several times in sentance, using it without any meaning.

I think there are times when strong langauge seems appropriate, when saying things like "he is not a nice person" or "this is messed up" waters down message. I could always say those things using stronger langauge without swearing though. There is kind of a science to coming up with really bad insults without actually using swear words.

Still I swear rarely and only with certain people, not others. I don't really swear on line. I sometimes use [censored] or [insert favorite swear word here] in place of a swear word on-line when I felt the situation called for one.

Now I am more likely to use :censored: which stands out a bit more, especially since I don't use emoticons very much.

Ilah