User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: I swear

MBTI
    istp

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Well not really. Most of the usage of swearing is entirely innappropriate and an abuse to swearing properly. Artful usage however is entertaining, colourful (note the U in that... bloomin colonic spellers) and adds spice to conversation. In fact, continuing with the spice analogy, good usage brings out the flavour, poor usage drowns it.
    Yeah, but countinuing with the analogy, add coloured soucks to soup and the flavour is souddenly unsavourably sour. Sou coloured soucks are absoulutely useless, you getting me guvnah?
    No offense.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

When I am put off by swearing, upon fresh analysis, I conclude it's more because of it's poor use than the fact that it is swearing. The response is similar to when people use any language poorly.
    I suppose that is the real reason why people are offended... it's just that swearing is most likely to be charged with the connotation of being poor use in and of itself, and thus using that kind of language is a pushing it a bit, even if you don't mean it poorly. Poor use of language is always inappropriate, of course.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by 6sticks View Post
    Yeah, but countinuing with the analogy, add coloured soucks to soup and the flavour is souddenly unsavourably sour. Sou coloured soucks are absoulutely useless, you getting me guvnah?
    I see your problem. What about spicy socks though? The socks are useful but are the spices really necessary?

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    I suppose that is the real reason why people are offended... it's just that swearing is most likely to be charged with the connotation of being poor use in and of itself, and thus using that kind of language is a pushing it a bit, even if you don't mean it poorly. Poor use of language is always inappropriate, of course.
    I guess then the question becomes, what is good use of swearing?
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I guess then the question becomes, what is good use of swearing?
    Well, when it's used to express frustration at a situation or quality (rather than as an insult), around people one knows don't mind it being used in this fashion, although not too many times close together. It can be used when alone in any sense, of course.

It's never really good to use it as an insult, but if someone deliberately does something aggravating to you, and you curse at them, it's rather understandable if not proper.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Well, when it's used to express frustration at a situation or quality (rather than as an insult), around people one knows don't mind it being used in this fashion, although not too many times close together. It can be used when alone in any sense, of course.

It's never really good to use it as an insult, but if someone deliberately does something aggravating to you, and you curse at them, it's rather understandable if not proper.
    *hoping this is treated as in context and not cause the thread to shift to the graveyard*

So you've never known anyone deserving of the title arsehole? That would be fortunate indeed. The simple matter is that some things deserve the use of stronger language. Personally I think the problem is that it's being used for more frequent and rather more lame circumstances and hence is becoming increasingly less popular but more prevalent (if that makes sense).

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

So you've never known anyone deserving of the title arsehole? That would be fortunate indeed. The simple matter is that some things deserve the use of stronger language. Personally I think the problem is that it's being used for more frequent and rather more lame circumstances and hence is becoming increasingly less popular but more prevalent (if that makes sense).
    Actually, I would mutter "arsehole" under my breath as a censored way of saying a$$hole. Yes, of course I have known people who deserved to be called that. But the question is, am I willing to give them what they deserve, right then and there, and possibly make them mad enough to do something to me, or should I hold my tongue and swallow it to keep things going smoothly? That's always the big question, with any insult or negative remark, but especially with cursing.

MBTI
    INXP

I have a huge respect for sweary powers.

It's a gift.
    http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/6/68764.png
    Ti Ne Fi Ni

-How beautiful, this pale Endymion hour.
    -What are you talking about?
    -Endymion, my dear. A beautiful youth possessed by the moon.
    -Well, forget about him and get to bed.
    -Yes, my dear.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Actually, I would mutter "arsehole" under my breath as a censored way of saying a$$hole. Yes, of course I have known people who deserved to be called that. But the question is, am I willing to give them what they deserve, right then and there, and possibly make them mad enough to do something to me, or should I hold my tongue and swallow it to keep things going smoothly? That's always the big question, with any insult or negative remark, but especially with cursing.
    So it would be fair to say you are more concerned with their reaction than any integral distaste for the word itself?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

When placed and timed appropriately, swear words can really make a powerful impact on what you say. They can make what you've just said funnier, more frightening, more important, more powerful, more serious. Swear words do a lot of things that other words might not necessarily achieve. However, when they are overused, it can make what someone is saying annoying, limp, and tiresome at best. For example, the overuse of "fuck" is just as irritating to me as the overuse of "like" in sentences. In my book, they stem from the same problem: a difficulty articulating one's thoughts or emotions in a concise and accurate manner.

I think there's also a bit of an association with an informal attitude with swearing. I think that's why work places would rather you not swear. Not because it's neccessarily offensive, but because it's too informal, just like wearing your old t-shirt, shorts, and sandals to work is too informal.

I'm sure there are a number of other cultural associations with swearing. The association of such words with the lower-class, criminals, and/or otherwise unsavory folk, for example.
    "I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference."

Robert Frost

MBTI
    INTJ

I think swear words should be used very sparring, for people, things or situation that really deserve it. I have a strong dislike for people who use it several times in sentance, using it without any meaning.

I think there are times when strong langauge seems appropriate, when saying things like "he is not a nice person" or "this is messed up" waters down message. I could always say those things using stronger langauge without swearing though. There is kind of a science to coming up with really bad insults without actually using swear words.

Still I swear rarely and only with certain people, not others. I don't really swear on line. I sometimes use [censored] or [insert favorite swear word here] in place of a swear word on-line when I felt the situation called for one.

Now I am more likely to use which stands out a bit more, especially since I don't use emoticons very much.

Ilah