User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFP

I don't know if I killed it, or not.

My point being that folks are kinda like this - they're layers of uniqueness covered over with stereotypes and cultural habits. And most of them are in flux acting upon and being acted upon for as long as they live.

Ya can't exactly nail them cuz over time they change. You marry 'em, make fast friends with 'em, hate 'em, avoid 'em. And ten years later what you've decided about them may no longer be true. Even in the present little surprises pop out from time to time.

I was just thinking about a man I knew for years, sorta lumpy-dumpy and plain. Drove gravel truck. Didn't seem too bright. I never really got involved with him because he didn't seem interesting to me. One night, through circumstances, we ended up in a coffee shop together and he started to quote Dylan Thomas. Um. What?

Fascinating man. They're our neighbors now and have a prize-winning lawn. He raises rare Asian lilies and koi. I stroll down that way now and then just to listen to him muse.

On the net, just like in RL, you pays your money and you takes your chances.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post

However I do think that most are not in touch with how they feel at the time. So essentially what they post is a psychological defence.

They clamber around like armadillos from thread to thread - their armour clanking.
    You make so many assumptions about people, many before you even get to know them that you often don't give people a chance to be real with you. When I say this I mean only here on this board, because of course I do not know you aside from your postings here.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Deception is easy- in real life or on the forum. Those who don't know themselves are the most deceptive, whether intentionally or not- and a personality forum would draw a lot of confused people I suppose.

"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." - Kurt Vonnegut

Of course I have my own insights on this topic
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

heart on fire

The internet is a great tool for learning about self though. It really is.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Yes- which would explain why people who are less certain would be places like here
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INFP

I like that idea of a forum being, like everything else in life, a learning experience. I've talked to quite a few young introverts - well, and older ones also - who say they've picked up some confidence by practicing interacting online.

Of course, a forum is also a good place to get your ego trampled on occasion so it's good to bring the armadillo along! Just not to resort to the scaly creature to do your work for you daily! Heh.

Mine's named Francis.

That was a funny simile, Victor!
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

Banned
    MBTI
    type

I think it's a safe bet I have more experience with e-interaction than physical. I've been doing this sort of thing since 1993, I believe. It's second nature.

MBTI
    INFP

Do you have an armadillo, Jack?

Hey, do you know what I've learned from you already?

Banned
    MBTI
    type

No.

What?

MBTI
    INFP

Oh, hello!

I've learned that I've mistyped my son. I thought he was an ISTP for years. But you caught my attention swiftly when I came (Hey! That's my kid there.) and I started watching and listening to you and I've realized that he's an INTP!

I now understand some things about him better.