User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Quote Originally Posted by colmena View Post
    Well this is quite like how I've been tonight. But this is the relevant way of being in accordance to how I feel.
    Ah, you have discovered your inner armadillo.

MBTI
    INTJ

I would make a distinction between a false name and a false persona. For example, for most people here there screen name is not the same as their real first name. However, just because a person uses a fasle name does not mean that their personality changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    In literature, authors have always used false personas called a nom de plume.

And on MBTI Central we are halfway between print media and the electronic media, so the old habits of nom de plume die hard.

But on www.seesmic.com there are no nom de plumes because seesmic has made the transition from print to electronic video.

So it is no longer possible to hide on seesmic.

So in the large cultural sphere, privacy is over.

But MBTI Central remains delightfully old fashioned.
    Sometimes on the internet I will talk more about some things I don't share as freely in real life, like spiritual beliefs, problems I have had in the past or unusual hobbies. That isn't really personality though. In real life I probably "fake" a lot of the F stuff, being more friendly and polite than is my normal tendancy. But then I do that on line too. And in real life I hide my mood swings from people as best I can, but then I do that on line too. Although I have actually told some of my on line groups that I was "hiding" my mood swings. More specifically, I was deliberately sparing them from my posts during my down swings.

I think on-line groups get much more of my "philospohical" side, simply because only a handful of people in real life our interested in hearing about it.

Ilah

MBTI
    infp

I think everyone has a persona to some degree. We can filter everything we say, so naturally it won't realistically represent how we behave in real life, or what we think in our own minds. Although Substitute has a great point that people do the same in real life, although I personally believe it's easier to see someone is being fake in real life.

With MBTI a lot of people seem to fill in their personality with MBTI (i.e. "cause I'm an ENFP" ect), which I think distorts things.

I think things like trolling really is just a persona to say stupid/funny/irritating things and is specifically not representative of the people doing it in real life.

I made a post in my blog about internet personas where I tried to give a very simple description of myself that was intended to destroy any persona I may seem to have. Of course, when conciously describing yourself you will probably distort it even more, but I'll try and dig it up here anyway...

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...tml#post249581

There it is. One of the best posts I think I've made.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

I will posit that people are even more like themselves on the internet. People are more open and will spill their guts online.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Members Only View Post
    Sorry if the below is full of spelling mistakes and such. I'm really tired, it's 04:53AM, but I had a pre-sleep thought which I felt like making a post about.

I often hear the phrase thrown about "You can not trust the Internet", more specifically "You can not trust what anybody says on the Internet", yet more specific "People create false personas through the Internet". Presumably, the assumption of the Internet being congested with false personas, leads people into distrusting the words of others emanating from the Internet; emanating through devices such as forums, message boards, blogs, personal websites etc...

Do the majority of people who use the Internet as a means to communicate with others create a false persona? Or do people use to it to realize their true personas, unbound by the everyday social rituals of engaging in conversation in 'real life', does this not lead to a freeing up of ones inhibitions, in which they feel more free to state their true opinions, to let loose their true nature? Do you feel MBTIc is loaded with false or true personas? Exaggerated personas? Less exaggerated personas?

If somebody acts out of turn, acts an idiot, if somebody is, say, what is often deemed a 'troll' on Internet forums; I often think people assume that the 'troll' has created a false persona, a persona to be an idiot, he/she has placed a mask over their true, everyday, less idiotic persona. But is the 'troll' persona, not the persons true persona, and their false persona the mask they place over themselves in real life? A mask worn to avoid the harsher repercussions of acting 'troll' like in the real world, repercussions that could include physical violence?

Do Internet forums create true or false people? Do some people become more true and some people more false? What makes one person choose to become more false and another to become more true, through the prism of the internet.
    Your questions seem more like psychology questions than MBTT questions.
    A psychology forum might be able to help you better.

I tend to be trusting and not given to cynicism,
    so I tend to think that most people are generally being themselves to the best of their ability.
    However because we're using the written word,
    our perceptions could often be mistaken without us knowing it.

I tend to think of trolls as immature people with no life.

MBTI
    INFP

TROLLS! (interesting article, maybe)

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Yeah, online I'm awesomelicious, and in person I'm awesometastic. The difference is subtle, but noticeable.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

Banned
    MBTI
    type

I think trolls is a pretty cool guy. eh raep teh internet and doesn't afraid of anything.

MBTI
    INTP

Sorry if the below is full of spelling mistakes and such. I'm really tired.
    I wish I could use that excuse. I just seem to have a writing handicap. Anyone know of a "disabled smily" I can use?

Or do people use to it to realize their true personas, unbound by the everyday social rituals of engaging in conversation in 'real life', does this not lead to a freeing up of ones inhibitions, in which they feel more free to state their true opinions, to let loose their true nature? Do you feel MBTIc is loaded with false or true personas? Exaggerated personas? Less exaggerated personas?
    I am a totally different person online--chat, email, forums, etc.

If somebody acts out of turn, acts an idiot, if somebody is, say, what is often deemed a 'troll' on Internet forums; I often think people assume that the 'troll' has created a false persona, a persona to be an idiot, he/she has placed a mask over their true, everyday, less idiotic persona. But is the 'troll' persona, not the persons true persona, and their false persona the mask they place over themselves in real life? A mask worn to avoid the harsher repercussions of acting 'troll' like in the real world, repercussions that could include physical violence?
    Sounds not unlike the insane drivers who tailgate in very heavy rain.

Do Internet forums create true or false people? Do some people become more true and some people more false? What makes one person choose to become more false and another to become more true, through the prism of the internet.
    What makes a "true persona" true? I have several personas. The various people in and around my life would probably not recognize me in other contexts.

MBTI
    INFP

Oh, fun coming here and seeing your OP, Members Only.

I understand!

I've thought about this before in RL in regard to motorcyclists. I have observed this kind of thing in motorcycle culture. Goes like this:

Oooooh, big, bad, swaggering leatherclad bikers. Stay away. Danger.

Nope, them are really good guys. Don't let the act fool you. They ride for Tots For Toys and do all kindsa good stuff. They've secretly got kind hearts.

No, they drink too much and beat their wives and roar around the streets.

Uh-uh. They are just misunderstood and wounded souls.

Layer upon layer exposed, deeper and deeper, "good" following "bad."

Who's zoomin' who?

As far as the net goes, what disregard said. . .
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer