• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Does a persons typing affect the way you treat them?.

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I am curious if peoples typing's affect the way you approach them around the forum. Presume you have no prior knowledge of the person how does typing affect the way you treat them as a person. For instance I tend to be more gentle with certain types than others. Type 9 IxFxs will get a far diffrent treatment than say a ExTJ 8 from me.

Galaxy Gazer

Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Not really. I mean, I tend to avoid certain types, but I don't act different if I'm forced to interact with them.

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I am curious if peoples typing's affect the way you approach them around the forum. Presume you have no prior knowledge of the person how does typing affect the way you treat them as a person. For instance I tend to be more gentle with certain types than others. Type 9 IxFxs will get a far diffrent treatment than say a ExTJ 8 from me.

It changes the way I communicate with them, to a degree, but not in how I treat them, that's universal. But I'd say it's more individual-based, rather than type. I'll feel someone out initially, then proceed after I've gained enough incite into how they think/react to things. (I think I might like to "try on" INTJ next)

Agent Washington

Softserve Ice Cream
I don't. It does help with the troubleshooting if the person seems to want some sort of advice, especially based off their type, but otherwise it's pretty much universal. And of course, it does help with identifying bias since I'm a bit slower at that sort of stuff than say, an Ni dom would (they're... somehow faster at just seeing through bias and it's actually quite an admirable trait, for me), but on principle, it only comes in seconds after I go "hmm, there's something not right about this description of, say, sensors".

Korvinagor

Cyber Strider
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I probably take a person's type into account whilst replying to some degree...but mostly I size them up through their language. There's a huge amount of difference even inside a single type (there's only 16 of them, after all), so I find looking at their personal behaviour more sustainable in the long run.

As a thumb rule, as long as proper netiquette is adhered to, everything else works out fine.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
No but I do tend to subconsciously mirror their level of warmth or sarcasm or sass. Basically, I gauge how much of me is appropriate to exposes based on their comfort level. Sometimes I go out on a limb and then regret it because they seem uncomfortable. This can be irritating to me as I just want to be myself.

geedoenfj

The more you know..
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
No rules for me, I go with their vibe and how much I feel comfortable talking to them etc.
Might as well secretly type them, I secretly typed you as INFP, but it's no secret anymore
Ps: I'm teasing you Brains :hug:

Abendrot

one way trip
MBTI Type
IntJ
Enneagram
85X
Instinctual Variant
sx

Interesting thought. I believe [MENTION=4660]Osprey[/MENTION] also observed that Ts and especially TJs on this forum are expected to suck it up. I personally don't treat people differently based on their type. Rather, I treat them as I think they deserve to be treated based upon their behaviour, but I give strangers the benefit of the doubt.

thepink-cloakedninja

Marshmallow Heart
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
When I first joined I was scared of the INTJs, but not anymore. Other than that, not really.

Jellyfish1234

I don't think so, but maybe I do treat people differently depending on type subconsciously, since I think sometimes a person's type can come with a set of assumptions about that person that might take conscious effort to shake off. But I think treating someone from what I've observed about them rather than their typing is a better idea, since not everyone fits well into a type, and not everyone is accurately typed, so I'd rather trust what I feel like I see myself I suppose.

erg

MBTI Type
None
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What I sometimes do is test if they are what they claim to be (if their self typing is correct). This is done via certain statements and traps. One thing about stating your self-typing is that you are putting out there weaknesses that anyone knoledgeable can exploit.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It doesn't affect how I reply to people. Mostly I use it to try to help me interpret their remarks if I am having trouble doing so, especially if this is frequent.

When I first joined I was scared of the INTJs, but not anymore. Other than that, not really.
You have piqued my curiosity. What allayed your fears?

Jaguar

Type 9 IxFxs will get a far diffrent treatment than say a ExTJ 8 from me.

Newsflash: There are NFs who put that shit in their profile all the time, many also put INTJ in their profile. Then there are the goofballs who change their type on a weekly basis. I ignore all of it and just read the post content.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The way they communicate affects the way I interact with them sometimes. If the communication style is somewhat harsh and I see they are a T-dom, I will tend to be more direct with them, but for me I have to see both the type and communication style. Some people's communication style is the opposite of the type they declare - like some people type as a Ti-dom, but their perceptions are extremely subjective, and some who type as Ti-doms are in fact quite objective. Also, a noticeable number of the most conflict-oriented posters self-type as E9, so I think the style of communication says way more than a declaration of a type. I have experienced different reactions from people depending on my declared type. It's partly why I don't use one now, and yes, I see other people interacting with others based on their types.

thepink-cloakedninja

Marshmallow Heart
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It doesn't affect how I reply to people. Mostly I use it to try to help me interpret their remarks if I am having trouble doing so, especially if this is frequent.

Oh, just talking to a few and getting to know them. :)

Permabanned
ofc not, that'd be stupid, and shallow.

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram

Are you hoping to be feared? :newwink:

Kanra Jest

Av'ent'Gar'de ~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Not unless you count me subconsciously mirroring them. Adapting. Using words with tact at times is also needed. But usually I can size up and adapt fairly quickly, showing only so much of myself as I need until I trust them and allow more. But I must deem them trustworthy first.

However... I do have some weariness about ESTJ's as I've had bad experience. But I won't judge them before I meet them still, of course.

For me, it depends more on how they come across. I tend to observe their communication style and overall personality first to get a feel for the person. Depending on the circumstance, sometimes I would attempt a more serious demeanor and others times I can feel more relaxed and joke around.

Admittedly, I can get intimidated by some people depending on how they present themselves. I am more wary and sometimes hesitant when communicating with others due to poor past experiences. Naturally I'm very shy, so talking to people I don't know very well even online can make me feel uneasy at times.