• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Self-esteem

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Greetings fellow aliens. :hi:

I see this concept being referred to a lot. How do you define it?

Condor

MBTI Type
ISTJ
I define it as the evaluation of myself, based on my own standards.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
It's hard to define, so I will define it (good self-esteem) in relation to my own life:

A stable sense of self-value throughout your days, whether your are popular or not, attractive or not, successful or not. It's a grounded sense of identity and worth.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't define it, the dictionary does.

Kora

MBTI Type
ENTP
Does that even exist? [/teenage angst]

Now. Accepting oneself with all of our virtues and flaws objectively seen. Or something like that. But objective.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
For me it plays out in "I'm okay, you're okay."

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
It is the continuum of your attitudes and perceptions about the world and about yourself. It is reflected in your optimism, enthusiasm, confidence, work ethic, or lack thereof of all of those.

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
There you have it then.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Greetings fellow aliens. :hi:

I see this concept being referred to a lot. How do you define it?
For me, I understand self-esteem best when I think of it as self-respect.
The more I do that I can respect myself for, the more self-esteem I build.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
For me, I understand self-esteem best when I think of it as self-respect.
The more I do that I can respect myself for, the more self-esteem I build.

that could be my problem, I don't have self-respect so maybe that causes me to have low self-esteem. Or did I develope low self-esteem and in the process lost my self-respect?

I can't define it, all I know is I don't think I've ever had any. I've always thought myself as unworthy, even though I try to tell myself I am worthy, it doesn't work.

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
within our relationship to ourself, where we place ourselves relative to others.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
It's ok to be me. I don't know anyone else I'd rather be.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
that could be my problem, I don't have self-respect so maybe that causes me to have low self-esteem. Or did I develope low self-esteem and in the process lost my self-respect?

I can't define it, all I know is I don't think I've ever had any. I've always thought myself as unworthy, even though I try to tell myself I am worthy, it doesn't work.
That's like asking which came first, the chicken or the egg? :smile:

I've struggled with poor self-esteem and feelings of being unworthy of love for most of my life, too, but mine came from being abused as a child, so it's been a long healing process. Also I was depressed for a long time, and that is demoralizing as well.

Here's a cool site:
The Enneagram Type Test
See if it has something to do with your enneagram.
Apparently, that can be a contributing factor, although it's another one of those "which came first" questions, I think.

Kaizer

sophiloist
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
me living by my principles (which should be universal etc) and at least meeting my standards based on those principles if not improving on them. self-respect more so maybe?