User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    9w8

Default "Just don't answer yourself"

I talk to myself often. In my head, like I assume everyone else does, and sometimes aloud. Often I hear "it's okay to talk yourself, just don't answer yourself." The assumption being that when we answer ourselves we must be insane.

Why is this? I don't see having a dialogue with the self as a sign of mental illness. Often I find it's a very healthy way of gaining more perspective on something, of helping me to find an answer that was under my nose the entire time.

Enneagram
    3w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Anaximander View Post
    I talk to myself often. In my head, like I assume everyone else does, and sometimes aloud. Often I hear "it's okay to talk yourself, just don't answer yourself." The assumption being that when we answer ourselves we must be insane.

Why is this? I don't see having a dialogue with the self as a sign of mental illness. Often I find it's a very healthy way of gaining more perspective on something, of helping me to find an answer that was under my nose the entire time.
    I know I do, and when I do, people look at me like I'm crazy.

Sometimes it's just helpful to get your thoughts out of the way by making it concrete -- either through speaking or writing. I find writing arduous, so I just choose the path of least resistance.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I talk to myself out loud... which is probably worse, but it helps me remember things a lot better...

I also answer myself
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    yupp

I will answer myself sometimes it's needed and if that's crazy then they don't even know.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so
    Likes asynartetic, Cloudpatrol, Frosty liked this post

I don't. Y'all are crazy.

Just kidding, I do though too.

I don't know but I imagine it stems from a time when decisions were to be done as a group or left to a "more knowledgeable" authority figure? It hasn't been until more recent times that "thinking for yourself" was considered a good thing. I'm assuming those who did so were often seen as mad.

Level 8 Propaganda Bot SpankyMcFly's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx

Vocalizing competing thoughts that might lead you to answer yourself is LEGIT yo. Its also good prep for old age.

Tangent: One of the prominent theories of consciousness was based on the idea that our brains evolved consciousness for this very reason. So that different parts of our brain could talk to one another. Among other reasons.

The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind ~ Jaynes

"At the heart of this classic, seminal book is Julian Jaynes's still-controversial thesis that human consciousness did not begin far back in animal evolution but instead is a learned process that came about only three thousand years ago and is still developing. The implications of this revolutionary scientific paradigm extend into virtually every aspect of our psychology, our history and culture, our religion -- and indeed our future. "

Bicameralism (psychology) - Wikipedia

Julian Jaynes Society | Exploring Consciousness and the Bicameral Mind Theory Since 1997
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age. " - H.P. Lovecraft

I thought everyone did this. It's called consciousness. Having a conversation with yourself is what thinking is.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

I don't think it is crazy, as long as you are aware that it is you answering and not some other voice.
    "Avoid getting too preoccupied thinking about what you’re going to do, to actually do it."
    — Rachel Wolchin

johari
    nohari

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

I do it fairly often. Answer myself too. And I blame it on everyone else. For being shit conversationalists

But really, I just get so lost in my own mind at times, that saying it out loud grounds and draws my focus to my external environment and getting things done. Connected to executive function for me.
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts