User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by IF3157 View Post

If only some controlling people would share their thought processes in this thread.

Come out come out wherever you are! I promise not to berate you. Just trying to understand so I don't get the urge to decapitate the next one of you to pull your stunts.
    You! Here! Now!

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Other people's convictions about what they want or what they think is "right" leads them to consciously think it's okay to impose directly upon others to implement their plans.
    That's the way I see it. Everyone thinks they know best (particually them dang NTs )

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

These are the people I don't understand . . . the imposition! Is it ok to them because they would not mind being on the receiving end of it, or are they just above recognizing the sanctity of others' space (mental and physical)?
    A variety of motivations.

Remember the three "relating styles" of karen Horney, absorbed into Enneagram theory?

- Moving Towards (2's, ISFJ, etc.)
    - Moving Against (8's, ExTJ, etc.)
    - Moving Away (5's, INTP, etc.)

Some people have a natural inclination to dominate others. It's their natural mode. They feel insecure if they are not in charge. When unsure, they'll dominate.

Other people have religious/personal beliefs where they think they're doing what is "good for the other person and/or the world" by imposing on them. (Hence all the political arguments nowadays with religious people, as an example.) They know better; therefore it is their job to protect you against yourself.

Parents and those granted authority status also impose on others as part of their position, sometimes in bad ways. Again, it's a "duty."

And of course there are those who are just purely selfish/egotistical and disregard the feelings of others. Their needs and wants are more important; and they force others to accommodate them rather than working towards a reasonable compromise.

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    That's the way I see it. Everyone thinks they know best (particually them dang NTs )
    I know, I'm sorry.

If we weren't so RIGHT all the time, it would be easier to back off.

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    I have no clue, but I do not like them
    ...sam I am.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    intp

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    You! Here! Now!

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    And of course there are those who are just purely selfish/egotistical and disregard the feelings of others. Their needs and wants are more important; and they force others to accommodate them rather than working towards a reasonable compromise.
    These. Where it should be apparent that the iron fist approach is counterproductive, it puzzles me when they keep on with it. I'm guessing this may have something to do with it:

Some people have a natural inclination to dominate others. It's their natural mode. They feel insecure if they are not in charge. When unsure, they'll ^attempt to^ dominate.
    hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.
    — Antoine de Saint-Exupery

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

These. Where it should be apparent that the iron fist approach is counterproductive, it puzzles me when they keep on with it. I'm guessing this may have something to do with it...
    It seems pretty typical to me.

My natural mode is to withdraw (avoid the danger when I'm anxious).
    I only engage if I have to.

If I do engage, my next mode is to connect/placate. (Again, avoid the danger.)

Only if all else fails, or if I feel I have a good sense of the danger and the risk is acceptable, will I "fight" with someone and use some sort of direct active force. (Tp me, active fighting results in the most potential loss.)

The dominators, meanwhile, feel safest when they are on the offensive. They feel worse when they try to placate or when they run and hide.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENTP

I can understand wanting strict control of yourself, but please explain to me people who have an interventionist, controlling approach to other people. What goes on in your mind? Is it lack of self-control?
    Cos they think they're helping. They have difficulty in discerning that fine line between constructive, solicited help and unwanted, interfering busy-bodying, and confuse the two. They see somebody in a situation that they would not be happy in and reason that the problem needs to be solved, and set about forcing the person to do what would work for them, not having learned to first check whether the other person even is unhappy with their situation, or wants help, or that their solution is universally applicable.

Difficult as it is to bear in mind when you're the subject of it, when you've become somebody's project... the most usual thing is that they honestly think they're helping. And even that they know what's good for you - even better than you do.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C. S. Lewis
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

Banned
    MBTI
    type

C.S. Lewis said it, right about there.

MBTI
    intp

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C. S. Lewis
    As someone who has been on the receiving end of tyranny exercised for the tyrants benefit (which is what I'm most interested in here), I can say that it's not a bunch of roses, either.

It is somewhat related to that phenomenon of arguing with a brick wall. I tend to avoid it. If it is clear to me the point is not to discuss but simply to state and defend by any means one position and there will be no budging on it, I am not interested. They go their way and I go mine. Yet I've seen people who get into the same lengthy and fevered discussion with the same people over and over again and wonder why they do it if they don't have to.
    hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.
    — Antoine de Saint-Exupery

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

As someone who has been on the receiving end of tyranny exercised for the tyrants benefit (which is what I'm most interested in here), I can say that it's not a bunch of roses, either.
    It is if all the petals have fallen off and all you have left is thorns.

(Think big!)

MBTI
    INXP

I was a very dominating child. My parents still call me "Boss".

I'd like to better my ability at helping people learn for themselves. Show them the things I encountered that led to my values, rather than just saying mine are "right".

I guess it stems from a lack of trust; that humanity can't think for themselves. And when you study psychology, the lack of independent thought is quite obvious. The Century of the Self is a good example.

I guess political/business manipulation will topple on itself when education has been pushed far enough.
    http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/6/68764.png
    Ti Ne Fi Ni

-How beautiful, this pale Endymion hour.
    -What are you talking about?
    -Endymion, my dear. A beautiful youth possessed by the moon.
    -Well, forget about him and get to bed.
    -Yes, my dear.

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

It's 'cause, some people are inconsiderate.
    They don't know that I'm after different things than they are. When I don't succeed in accomplishing what they thought I wanted to, they try to correct me.

They think they're an altruist, but they didn't even bother to research my goal.
    Well, even if they did, they'll say that I'm wrong for wanting that instead of the same thing they want.