User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: names

MBTI
    yupp

Default names

So I noticed alot of people get upset when their name is mispronounced. Why? I mean what makes people so upset if they're called by the wrong thing? I've never been bothered if someone calls me not my name, as long as I know they're talking to me. Afterall too me it's just a name, one semester I had a professor that kept forgetting my name, I almost went "What name do I look like? I'll go by that" because to me I'm not attached to the name I've been given. So why do people put so much stress in names, it's just a title you were given at birth.

I'm really curious. It just seems like a stupid thing to get upset over.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

my sister had a name when she was younger that (as far as I know) was the only one of its kind. No one knew how to pronounce her name. being a young kid and constantly traumatized by people butchering her name became extremely unpleasant for her. she changed her name to her middle name. then after like 15 years she changed it back to her first again.

to me, a name is a part of someone's identity. and in the case of my sister during her growing up period, it was hard to deal with. my mom also had a last name that no one could correctly pronounce so she was extremely happy to marry a man with the last name Smith.

MBTI
    ESTJ

Whats in a name? Thats such a great phrase. I use it as my excuse for many situations because I hardly -ever- remember anyone's name, and yes people hate that about me.

Have you ever heard that a person's name is the sweetest word their ears can hear? I guess it really is true. Your name really is a part of you, its taken me a while to realize that.

My name is never mispronounced, but it's misspelled ALL THE TIME. And it's not even an unusual name. It just makes me think that people are stupid and/or careless. It doesn't upset me, but it definitely gives me a poor impression of the person in question.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    ISTJ

In real life I have a deliciously different name. I can never find it on name-meaning sites or in books. It used to bother me but now I like it.
    yesiknowimamiserablegrouchnowgoawayovmeleor

It's Mizzz ST, thank you...

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I don't get too pissed when people mispronounce my name, but I can never feel close to a person who can't say it. I'm not 100% sure why. I can speculate, but I'm just not sure.

MBTI
    INFP

Actually, I've been somewhat contemplating which name I should choose for becoming a citizen here in the United States. I've been tinkering around with the name Nol (it's my gaming alias). My father has told me that if he could of changed my name back then, he would of spelled it Nole. I have until tomorrow before the inauguration ceremony but I'll probably just stick with the spelling of my original name. Oh the possibilities!

I spell my name Noel and My name is pronounced like a grassy knoll / Nole rather than No*el / NoŽl. At this juncture in my life, I've grown accustomed to both. It's the [pseudo]derivatives that bother me the most: like Joel, Noah, Nolan, etc. I recognize they're trying, but just ask if you forget - I've already forgotten your name the second you told me.
    I may be bested in battle, but I shall never be defeated.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Spell it "Nole."

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    So why do people put so much stress in names, it's just a title you were given at birth.
    Names are given so much importance because they are the universally accepted symbols that represent individuals.

My name is impossible to mispronounce, so I don't understand why some people get up in arms about people getting their name wrong. Maybe it's akin to a Japanese person getting offended by someone calling them Chinese.

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Names are given so much importance because they are the universally accepted symbols that represent individuals.
    Yes. I think your right.