User Tag List

First 234

Thread: names

MBTI
    INTJ

I have a co-workers who spells my name wrong in e-mails she sends me. But our e-mail addresses at work are all first name.last name@company, so she has my name spelled correctly right there in the "to" portion of the e-mail.

Ilah

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    It's kind of a pet peeve of mine when someone has seen my name in writing a trillion times, and they still can't spell it right. I make a point of spelling people's names correctly, probably because mine has a different spelling. If I'm emailing you on a regular basis, signing my name, and you NEVER take the time to notice how it's spelled, it just seems thoughtless to me. I'm always more impressed by people who take the time to spell it right.

MBTI
    yupp

my cousin's daughter is named Isla (pronounced Ilah) and she's less then one and people always pronounce it Is-la she's going to have a fun time when she's older.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Ilah View Post
    I have a co-workers who spells my name wrong in e-mails she sends me. But our e-mail addresses at work are all first name.last name@company, so she has my name spelled correctly right there in the "to" portion of the e-mail.

Ilah
    Yeah, that's what kills me. It's RIGHT THERE, and surely, they've noticed that it's an unusual name. So you'd think they'd take the time to look up there in the To: line and get it right. It just seems lazy.

I've never tried it before, but it might be amusing to spell that person's name wrong back to them. Especially if they have a common name. Just start spelling "Lisa" "Leizza" or something.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    That's effed up, Lizzie.
    When you least expect it, I will kill you.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Bella View Post
    In real life I have a deliciously different name. I can never find it on name-meaning sites or in books. It used to bother me but now I like it.
    <pouts> I want a delicious name..

If I ever have children though, I am giving them unique names. My name is so common you can swing a dead cat and hit someone with it, albeit I spell it different than the common way. But my children will have nice edible names.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    -NTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

Because that’s not my name, my name is pronounced ‘that way’.
    I personally think names are words that identify you.
    Too bad you can’t choose your name. :\
    Anyway, we can define those words.
    I mean we can give meaning to that word, our names.
    And this is names without misalign it or over-rating it.
    Imagine this is the best thing you've ever read.

MBTI
    INTP

Because it can be and often is a sign of disrespect. And a name is an identifier...rather that than "it".....
    Good result (vs. Soton)...still have to go #Arsene

Tengo los conocimientos estardiar....no hay un motivo para estar al tanto de la reunión que sucedió hace mucho tiempo ....

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

If I got upset over people mispronouncing/misspelling my name, I would be upset almost daily. I correct it when it's necessary, like misspelling my name on a document or something that needs to be exact. Otherwise, I don't care, it's not a common last name and my first name is not spelled in the usual way. I blame my age of Aquarius parents for that part.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

For me the minute irritation was derived from the frequency and consistency with which mispronouciation occurs. It's something that's occurred all my life and got old after the first month of Kindergarten. I also believe mispronouciations served to fuel the tuanting nicknames in certain cases in which imagination was exceptionally sparse. Which is why I used to answer to my nickname at school, being that severing the first two letters of my name renders it bite sized and much more easily pronounceable.

Slight inconvenience aside, I do like my name despite the fact that it's: 1.)Misspelled(Not a derivative or alternate spelling as that would imply the mispelling to be purposeful instead of borne from ignorance of the language ) 2.)More a word than a name.

I suppose the first only makes it even more uncommon and more or less made up.

Anyway, I do not fret over the mispronunciation thing anymore, it was more a youthful thing for me, it seems.
    In that which is night to all things, therein the self-subjugated remains awake; but where all else is awake, that is night for the knower of the self.

MBTI
    FiTe
    Enneagram
    YwX sx/sp

My name is not very common where I live, I don't really care if people I don't know can't pronounce it.
    The funny thing is that they usually get it right on their first try, then they get uncertain about it and try to complicate things.
    I'm a green bean killing machine.