User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: names

MBTI
    yupp

personally I'd find it annoying if someone kept repeating my name every few sentences. I'm glad you know my name, and I know my own name. since I'm the only person you're talking to can we not say it every other word?

so I guess the two extreme types are the people who don't give a flying fuck about their name, and you can call them whatever you feel like that day as long as it isn't too offensive and those who are attached to their name, and those people you should probably try to get their name correct.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Technically your name could be pronouced many different ways depending on the language being spoken. I found this out about my name, which is hard to to mispronounce in English, a couple of years ago when someone sent me a Happy Birthday message in 5 different languages. It doesn't bother me.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

nobody could pronounce my name in Brazil because Hs aren't pronounced, there was no TH combo and Rs were pronounced as Hs I got called either "rather" by english students or "foreigner" by non-english students. It really didn't bother me much, as long as I knew when I was the one being refered to!

I don't like it when people repeat my name frequently in conversation though- it makes me feel like they're trying to make me like them or sell me something I didn't even know that it was a tip in how to win friends and influence people!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    nobody could pronounce my name in Brazil because Hs aren't pronounced, there was no TH combo and Rs were pronounced as Hs I got called either "rather" by english students or "foreigner" by non-english students. It really didn't bother me much, as long as I knew when I was the one being refered to!

I don't like it when people repeat my name frequently in conversation though- it makes me feel like they're trying to make me like them or sell me something I didn't even know that it was a tip in how to win friends and influence people!
    yes when people repeat my name, I'm always like what are you selling?

Also I find it more annoying when someone has been calling me the wrong thing and begins apologizing....dude....if I cared I would have corrected you.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    yes when people repeat my name, I'm always like what are you selling?

Also I find it more annoying when someone has been calling me the wrong thing and begins apologizing....dude....if I cared I would have corrected you.
    I tend NOT to correct people when they call me the wrong thing- deception is sometimes a joy

(people VERY frequently beleive my name is Hannah... *shrugs* whatever :rolli
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I tend NOT to correct people when they call me the wrong thing- deception is sometimes a joy

(people VERY frequently beleive my name is Hannah... *shrugs* whatever :rolli
    for me it's debbie, but mostly cuz I don't ennuciate, and it was more of a problem when I was younger. My grandpa, the last time I was visting, for some reason kept introducing me as his grand daughter debbie, so now at his country club, I'm know as debbie I pretty much told someone who had been calling me the wrong name (well it wasn't wrong just not what I go by) that I'll respond to anything.

I'm like a dog in that aspect, especially if you're holding out food.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

MBTI
    INTP

lol people usually get lazy pronouncing my name. To many syllables for them. Most of my friends shorten it to manuel or Eman, some call me manny, my soccer friends and coaches call me Aimahn and some people get a kick out of it and really enunciate each syllable. My last name people consistently butcher and its only 5 letters and one of those racecar deals(can't and too lazy to figure out the word to describe that)
    My cold, snide, intellectual life is just a veneer, behind which lies the plywood of loneliness.

MBTI
    INTP

It's kind of a pet peeve of mine when someone has seen my name in writing a trillion times, and they still can't spell it right. I make a point of spelling people's names correctly, probably because mine has a different spelling. If I'm emailing you on a regular basis, signing my name, and you NEVER take the time to notice how it's spelled, it just seems thoughtless to me. I'm always more impressed by people who take the time to spell it right.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

I get upset when people mispronounce my name because it involves two of the most common names in the English language, and frankly I think they should be easy to pronounce after like...a thousand years or more of existence.

No, but seriously, what bothers me more is when people read the name "Elizabeth" and instantly decide to call me "Liz" without asking whether I go by it or not.

That's effed up, Lizzie.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari