• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

When do disorders become the "new normal"?

Lark

And are they then disorders any longer?

Sparked by the hypothetical question someone said to me the other day "what if everyone had ADHD? What if everyone had ASD?"

I know I've heard disability campaigners ask similar questions about the built environment (like I assume on the Dalek's home world there's no stairwells too).

Also if you think of the closing scenes in "I Am Legend" (the book or graphic novel and NOT the films) he is publicly executed at the finish because the entire population having changed to vampires the vampire hunter is now the "supernatural terror" and not vice versa.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
You know, I've been thinking about this for a while now.

I swear everyone noways has ' Social anxiety" or some kind of PTSD and you know what? They bully me because I don't.

They also get incredibly aggressive and bully those who suggest going out and getting fresh air might help them ( instead of taking drugs). It is true,it will help for some but not others. The problem is that today people don't want to be strong they " Identify with their suffering." they WANT something to be wrong with them, they WANT to be victims, unable to do anything about their own lives....because, I guess they want to be different? ( I honestly can't imagine) but when everyone has some sort of "mental disability" it is no longer different. I assure these people yes, EVERYONE understands them. EVERYONE is their echo-chambers of pity who shame those who do not have any sort of anxiety or trauma because they assume that it means we have never lived through any hardship-understands. It's the rest of us who, for all they know could be dealing with twice as much and remained strong through it all-no one cares about.

We are the new minority so the short answer is; yes, it is now normal.

(PS: many people do have legitimate reasons for having PTSD/anxiety. But that number is far fewer than those who claim to.)

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Wouldn't be surprised if in about 100 years everyone could have a at least one disorder. I mean we all have faults.

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Because of the vastness and subjectivity of the criteria, everyone does have a disorder and if they haven't been diagnosed with one, they could be. Disorders are and always have been normal. Viewing them as abnormal is a result of the psych system.

You know, I've been thinking about this for a while now.

I swear everyone noways has ' Social anxiety" or some kind of PTSD and you know what? They bully me because I don't.

They also get incredibly aggressive and bully those who suggest going out and getting fresh air might help them ( instead of taking drugs). It is true,it will help for some but not others. The problem is that today people don't want to be strong they " Identify with their suffering." they WANT something to be wrong with them, they WANT to be victims, unable to do anything about their own lives....because, I guess they want to be different? ( I honestly can't imagine) but when everyone has some sort of "mental disability" it is no longer different. I assure these people yes, EVERYONE understands them. EVERYONE is their echo-chambers of pity who shame those who do not have any sort of anxiety or trauma because they assume that it means we have never lived through any hardship-understands. It's the rest of us who, for all they know could be dealing with twice as much and remained strong through it all-no one cares about.

We are the new minority so the short answer is; yes, it is now normal.

(PS: many people do have legitimate reasons for having PTSD/anxiety. But that number is far fewer than those who claim to.)

I agree with some of this but I think the type of judgement you display toward people is the opposite of helpful. I think it's less about wanting to be a victim and more about literally feeling powerless, feeling different, feeling afraid of themselves, and thinking they can't relate to anyone because having a disorder makes them abnormal. I agree that the ironic thing is that they actually can relate to the majority of the population.

Also, I don't think there's a point in judging other people's reasons as illegitimate. No one should feel ashamed for struggling or like they shouldn't be struggling because their life isn't "hard enough." It just makes everything worse. Trauma comes in all different shapes and sizes and is very subjective.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
And are they then disorders any longer?

No, they stil make people harder to function and they are still disorders, no matter what everyone thinks. (especially if normal children are being born and they all get same disorder through childhood)

Korvinagor

Cyber Strider
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Perhaps by definition, if the majority develops a disorder, it's impossible for the majority to be considered abnormal. However, who really listens to definitions? The English language for example changes rapidly amongst pockets of society, and yet we consider such developments at the very least not 'wrong' in the traditional sense, even if it'd make a grammar teacher cry tears of despair.

What I'm saying is our own, personal definition of normal will continue changing as the world around us does so too. Well, only a few years ago, many people didn't even own a smartphone...if our culture can change so dramatically, I can certainly see shifts elsewhere. Although I doubt such a change will actually happen any time soon.