• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Positive Self Awareness

Generalist

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Hi, thanks to anyone who responds. Most of us are probably here because we wanted to know more about ourselves and some of us or all of us were looking

for answers to whatever questions. In my own introspective journey, probably like most people, I have found it much easier to identify and notice what is

wrong and much harder to identify/accept what is positive about me. I have spent a lot of time focusing on the negative and have made great progress

managing my issues, but now as I have been moving into taking a look at the other side of the coin, my positive qualities, I have been challenged. So my

question is, for those on the introspective journey, what has worked for you, as far as identifying and accepting your talents, gifts, skills, and positive

qualities?

Thanks again. :hi:

solpi

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've always compared myself to people. But why compare? It's their life, and your life is your life. Live the way you were meant to. What I'm saying is that taking action to "better" yourself can be stressful and it's better to let yourself become better naturally as life progresses. This works for me, at least.

Unfortunately, I still haven't overcome my slight narcissistic ways, but they're not necessarily unhealthy.
"If there's one thing I've learned, it's that arrogance has to be earned." House MD quote right there.

I write down my thoughts a lot and look back at them whenever I feel like it. Looking back at them and going, "Wow, this really is some good stuff." helps me maintain confidence and self esteem. I make sure that I speak my mind entirely and say everything I have to say even though I struggle with brevity and articulating.

Basically, life has come easy for me, but on the days where I am insecure about anything I like to look back at my mind (which are the things I've written down, this includes jokes and random notes). It's relieving to know I'm great just the way I am. I also find beauty in everything, so it makes it easier for me to see the beauty in myself.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm usually very aware of what I do well, but when I'm not, I find it helpful to ask those closest to me for honest feedback. Same as when I need input about my weaknesses, which I know is not what was asked in the OP. (I have a harsh enough inner critic that oftentimes I trust others' feedback on my performance more than I trust my own instincts.)

Lark

I'm usually very aware of what I do well, but when I'm not, I find it helpful to ask those closest to me for honest feedback. Same as when I need input about my weaknesses, which I know is not what was asked in the OP. (I have a harsh enough inner critic that oftentimes I trust others' feedback on my performance more than I trust my own instincts.)

I experience what you're talking about here too but what do you think about things such as the Dunning-Kruger findings?

Are you ever concerned that less competent or deserving individuals rise to the top in the workplace or society at large by being able to tap seams of narcissism or by relying upon positively distorted misinformation about themselves from themselves?

I've known people who did really well from telling others to have a clear eye to their faults without ever really worrying too much about their own.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I experience what you're talking about here too but what do you think about things such as the Dunning-Kruger findings?

Are you ever concerned that less competent or deserving individuals rise to the top in the workplace or society at large by being able to tap seams of narcissism or by relying upon positively distorted misinformation about themselves from themselves?

I've known people who did really well from telling others to have a clear eye to their faults without ever really worrying too much about their own.
This is exactly why I specified getting feedback from those closest to you. That way any and all misinformation and facade is stripped away, and feedback is more honest.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
i think it's true for everyone because we're told if we say we're nice and honest and awesome no matter how many people other than us tells us. if we admit it people then call us narcisitic and manipulative and fake. so it's not easy to be positive when the world is like why are you so negative? gives you positive things about you that are true (and this has to be from multiples of different circles) then you oh i'm *insert positive traits* them OMG stop being so full of yourself if someone has to say they're that than they're probably not :doh: it's fucked up honestly.

Lark

This is exactly why I specified getting feedback from those closest to you. That way any and all misinformation and facade is stripped away, and feedback is more honest.

That is interesting, though is it accuracy in feedback or an attachment need being met in that?

Not that it is necessarily an either/or dichotomy or anything like that.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
That is interesting, though is it accuracy in feedback or an attachment need being met in that?

Not that it is necessarily an either/or dichotomy or anything like that.
Ha, depends on the person. For me, a little of both.

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
i think it's true for everyone because we're told if we say we're nice and honest and awesome no matter how many people other than us tells us. if we admit it people then call us narcisitic and manipulative and fake. so it's not easy to be positive when the world is like why are you so negative? gives you positive things about you that are true (and this has to be from multiples of different circles) then you oh i'm *insert positive traits* them OMG stop being so full of yourself if someone has to say they're that than they're probably not :doh: it's fucked up honestly.
This post deserves a damn award for how accurate it is.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi, thanks to anyone who responds. Most of us are probably here because we wanted to know more about ourselves and some of us or all of us were looking

for answers to whatever questions. In my own introspective journey, probably like most people, I have found it much easier to identify and notice what is

wrong and much harder to identify/accept what is positive about me. I have spent a lot of time focusing on the negative and have made great progress

managing my issues, but now as I have been moving into taking a look at the other side of the coin, my positive qualities, I have been challenged. So my

question is, for those on the introspective journey, what has worked for you, as far as identifying and accepting your talents, gifts, skills, and positive

qualities?

Thanks again. :hi:
Practice, tbh. The more you try, the easier it becomes.