User Tag List

First 12

Thread: Stuttering...

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    Well, she mentioned my stuttering problem in a polite fashion, but no one was carrying the conversation, and she was possibly turned off by that. I tried my best at coming up with topics to discuss, but I just couldn't.
    Yeah it can be difficult... maybe choosing a less passive person next time would be a good idea... although I find that when I'm stuck for a topic, what never seems to fail to break the ice is to actually say that outright: "I feel a bit silly now cos I don't know what to say, I guess I'm a bit nervous..." and they'll almost invariably come back with "OMG me too!!" and you're away... possibly. At least for a minute or so...

yeah, if you're stuck for a topic, like I say, it's usually a winner to just confess your awkwardness.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

only now that I've reached my mid twenties I've picked up a slight stutter when excited or nervous about something... not bad, and endearing to some but when I actually pause a moment before speaking in those situations my speech is perfect!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    My daughter has this issue, usually when speaking to people she doesn't know very well or people who just don't handle her Asperger's very well. She doesn't do it so much around me, seems to express herself more fluently and easily, but she stutters like hell when my mom's around and used to with her teachers before I took her out of school.

I've read up on it and as far as I can tell, the cardinal rule for those who are being spoken to by the stuttering person is to NEVER correct them or finish their sentences, never draw attention to it in any way. The best way to help is just carry on as normal and pretend you don't notice. The stuttering is usually due to nerves, and the more you focus on it the more nervous they get.

So the advice for people who stutter seems to be to slow yourself down when you talk and let the other person wait for you to think of what you're gonna say, frame the words in your head and enunciate clearly, and if you can face it, warn the person that sometimes you stutter and ask them in advance not to correct you if you do.
    Thanks, mate. I'm gonna be a teacher in a few years when i've finished my studies, so I love to learn about the various problematic/awkward situations and how they can be handled (and how they shouldn't be).

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

MBTI
    infp

I sometimes stutter my "W's". Usually just at the beginning of a sentance, such as "what are we doing today" or "when is the movie" or whatever. I usually just start the sentance off differently and it's all good. As in "ok, so what are we doing today?", "Do you know what time the movie starts?", ect.

It's not so much stuttering, it's more that I can't string the syllable onto the enxt one, so it ends up sounding like "wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwhen is the movie?" Soemtimes it really is a "w w w when is the movie?" though.

MBTI
    yupp

you know if you try to seperate the s and t sound in st words you'll start stuttering. I swear, I don't know what it is but try to see the s and t seperate in steak and you either say s-s-s-teak or s-t-t-t-teak or stick.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Well, I really didn't notice I had a stutter until I talked to this girl on the phone, who I first IMed with at a dating site. She said I had a stuttering problem and was turned off because I couldn't carry the conversation.
    Geez, sounds like a real bitch
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    I have no advice, but since I was about 25 I've been a very occasional stutterer. It more amuses than irks me, but if it were regular I wouldn't like it.
    Me too. Probably started about the same age, but I have not really thought that hard about it.

MBTI
    INTP

Well, she mentioned my stuttering problem in a polite fashion, but no one was carrying the conversation, and she was possibly turned off by that. I tried my best at coming up with topics to discuss, but I just couldn't. And this girl was the only one who responded to the message I sent her out of like the ten of whom I sent messages to stating we had things in common.
    You're taking it way too seriously. People say the most random crap sometimes.

You can put it down to nerves and move on. She does not know you. She likely has her own issues especially if she would say something like that. Women do the craziest things sometimes when they are trying to push men away. It would have been much less cowardly to be upfront and say, "thanks, but I don't think it will workout."

So she didn't like you. What does that mean? Nothing. You don't like everyone, so why expect everyone to like you? 1 in 10 response rate sounds pretty good to me. It's a numbers game. Those women can only see and judge you by the way you express in your profile and on the phone. They cannot possibly know what you are like in reality, so it does not make any sense to beat yourself up over it.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by YourLocalJesus View Post
    Thanks, mate. I'm gonna be a teacher in a few years when i've finished my studies, so I love to learn about the various problematic/awkward situations and how they can be handled (and how they shouldn't be).
    Cool. Well, there's another thing I read about it - often it's people who are used to being dismissed or people not listening to them (often in their family), so they feel like they've got to say what they have to say really quickly, before you walk away or stop listening. Making your body language look relaxed and like you've got all day to listen to them (even if you haven't lol) can help encourage them to slow down with confidence that you're still listening.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I highly highly recommend the movie Rocket Science for anyone with a stuttering "problem" or anyone looking to accept themselves for any other reason. (Who isn't.)