• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Trah lah lah

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
So you've got plenty of musical intelligence, what good is that aside from within the field of music itself? Does it have any other applications?

rivercrow

shoshaku jushaku
MBTI Type
type
Teaching tunes to parrots? Singing kids to sleep?

Where did I read that singing might be a more primitive part of speech?

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Teaching tunes to parrots? Singing kids to sleep?

Where did I read that singing might be a more primitive part of speech?
Errm isn't that all music kind of related though? I'm trying to find if it can be part of another process like with most of the others, if not all.

Could it be said to be a part of timing in relation to things like baseball and other such games where you have to calculate the approach of the ball or is that all spatial/ BK ?

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
I expect musical intelligence is linked to linguistic skills... ability to understand speech and interpret it?

-Geoff

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
I expect musical intelligence is linked to linguistic skills... ability to understand speech and interpret it?

-Geoff
I think they queered that one up with linguistic intelligence didn't they?

It just seems to be the one most useless classification of intelligence. Well except for when you have an audience and are supposed to entertain them with music I suppose. Then it's kinda nice :)

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
So you've got plenty of musical intelligence, what good is that aside from within the field of music itself? Does it have any other applications?
From what standpoint, Xander?
An interesting question though I must say.
I do not know if a moral aspect is an application.
Let us say it is.
Does music refine character?
No.

Polanski survived the Holocaust. He made the movie the Pianist.
It is a true story. The pianist hides in Warsaw and is found out by a German officer.
He plays to the German officer and survives.
Could he have survived if he had not played?

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
From what standpoint, Xander?
An interesting question though I must say.
I do not know if a moral aspect is an application.
Let us say it is.
Does music refine character?
No.

Polanski survived the Holocaust. He made the movie the Pianist.
It is a true story. The pianist hides in Warsaw and is found out by a German officer.
He plays to the German officer and survives.
Could he have survived if he had not played?
SO you wouldn't say that such is a tightly defined set of criteria to make it useful when compared to say logical intelligence? ;)

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
SO you wouldn't say that such is a tightly defined set of criteria to make it useful when compared to say logical intelligence? ;)
Did you say a logical something? Yawn.

I am in a hurry. The new ballet company has got a performance tonight.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj

-Geoff

I don't really see musical intelligence relating to understanding speech per se... but definitely on picking up the nuiances in pronounciation when learning a foreign language.

I also see it dealing with a sense of rhythum... which can be useful in performing actions that requires precise timing. I know certainly I "time" a lot of things to compensate for shaky hands :blush:

PuddleRiver

It's always something...
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w6
I scored # 1 in Musical Intelligence, as well. Didn't understand it either. Thanks for asking the question.

Anyone else with some ideas? I'm kinda confused with it.

Crabapple

MBTI Type
INFJ
Well, from what I understood during a student/teacher discussion on intelligence, musical intelligence isn't related to linguistic intelligence. It's related to mathematical intelligence.

raincrow007

MBTI Type
INTP

It's excellent for pattern recognition.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
Well, from what I understood during a student/teacher discussion on intelligence, musical intelligence isn't related to linguistic intelligence. It's related to mathematical intelligence.
Exactly.
The spatial thing in a linear equipment.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Errm isn't that all music kind of related though? I'm trying to find if it can be part of another process like with most of the others, if not all.

Could it be said to be a part of timing in relation to things like baseball and other such games where you have to calculate the approach of the ball or is that all spatial/ BK ?

Singing something commits it to memory much better than any other method, at least for me. If I have to memorize something, singing it is the best way, even if I make up a tune on the spot.

Learning music theory made math more clear to me (although I still suck at math).

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
Singing something commits it to memory much better than any other method, at least for me. If I have to memorize something, singing it is the best way, even if I make up a tune on the spot.

Learning music theory made math more clear to me (although I still suck at math).
Many people think they suck at math or music even when they do not.
It may be the teacher who sucks.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
So it's linked to maths, pattern recognition and timing.

Maths? I don't get that link myself. Yes I can do maths (famous for having no problems with algebra but can struggle with addition somedays ;) it only made sense after Dom told me about the fence posts and fence panels thing).

Pattern Recognition. Hell yes, I often see two things as the same when most people are like "Wha? Are you crazy??".

Timing. You should see my driving :devil:

That thing about singing stuff into your memory, I don't do that but I do set it to a rhythm. Oh and I recall the lyrics to a frightening number of songs but only when their playing. I always figured it was just my hinky brain.

I wonder what correlation there is between musical intelligence and vulnerability to those catchy tunes which won't leave your head and, even when they seem to have left, return a short while later?
Example cases - The tune from Kill Bill (never learnt the title), Where your head at, I want to be a hippy...etc etc {Oh and if you now have one stuck then do YOU have a high musical intelligence?} [Captive test subjects rock]