User Tag List

First 12

Thread: Trah lah lah

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    I expect musical intelligence is linked to linguistic skills... ability to understand speech and interpret it?

-Geoff
    I don't really see musical intelligence relating to understanding speech per se... but definitely on picking up the nuiances in pronounciation when learning a foreign language.

I also see it dealing with a sense of rhythum... which can be useful in performing actions that requires precise timing. I know certainly I "time" a lot of things to compensate for shaky hands

It's always something... PuddleRiver's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

I scored # 1 in Musical Intelligence, as well. Didn't understand it either. Thanks for asking the question.

Anyone else with some ideas? I'm kinda confused with it.
    "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay one invincible summer."
    ~~~~
    A Christian's life may be the only Bible some people ever read.
    ~~~~
    "The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them" Maya Angelou.
    ~~~~
    I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ" Gandhi
    ~~~~

MBTI
    INFJ

Well, from what I understood during a student/teacher discussion on intelligence, musical intelligence isn't related to linguistic intelligence. It's related to mathematical intelligence.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
    -- Unknown

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    So you've got plenty of musical intelligence, what good is that aside from within the field of music itself? Does it have any other applications?
    It's excellent for pattern recognition.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Crabapple View Post
    Well, from what I understood during a student/teacher discussion on intelligence, musical intelligence isn't related to linguistic intelligence. It's related to mathematical intelligence.
    Exactly.
    The spatial thing in a linear equipment.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Errm isn't that all music kind of related though? I'm trying to find if it can be part of another process like with most of the others, if not all.

Could it be said to be a part of timing in relation to things like baseball and other such games where you have to calculate the approach of the ball or is that all spatial/ BK ?
    Singing something commits it to memory much better than any other method, at least for me. If I have to memorize something, singing it is the best way, even if I make up a tune on the spot.

Learning music theory made math more clear to me (although I still suck at math).
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Singing something commits it to memory much better than any other method, at least for me. If I have to memorize something, singing it is the best way, even if I make up a tune on the spot.

Learning music theory made math more clear to me (although I still suck at math).
    Many people think they suck at math or music even when they do not.
    It may be the teacher who sucks.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

So it's linked to maths, pattern recognition and timing.

Maths? I don't get that link myself. Yes I can do maths (famous for having no problems with algebra but can struggle with addition somedays it only made sense after Dom told me about the fence posts and fence panels thing).

Pattern Recognition. Hell yes, I often see two things as the same when most people are like "Wha? Are you crazy??".

Timing. You should see my driving

That thing about singing stuff into your memory, I don't do that but I do set it to a rhythm. Oh and I recall the lyrics to a frightening number of songs but only when their playing. I always figured it was just my hinky brain.

I wonder what correlation there is between musical intelligence and vulnerability to those catchy tunes which won't leave your head and, even when they seem to have left, return a short while later?
    Example cases - The tune from Kill Bill (never learnt the title), Where your head at, I want to be a hippy...etc etc {Oh and if you now have one stuck then do YOU have a high musical intelligence?} [Captive test subjects rock]
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?