• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Using opposite gender avatars

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Its interesting i usually pick chicks because i prefer to look at them as opposed to a man. But its not a good representation as an avatar, so i refuse to use a chick as my avatar.

Peter Pan

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENTP
Its interesting i usually pick chicks because i prefer to look at them as opposed to a man. But its not a good representation as an avatar, so i refuse to use a chick as my avatar.

Hey man no worries I beat it once thinkin bout cable and Deadpool so I think you're safe ahahaha

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Generally speaking have female characters as avatars but have had lots avatars which are patterns, or non human... I believe my first was the eye of a blue whale. I have also had Gandalf because I had a desire to be Gandalf and connected with his inner fi. I chose an avatar if it speaks to me (sometimes in a foreign language).

Galaxy Gazer

Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm not sure; I've always found it sort of weird to use a person other than yourself as an avatar regardless of gender

Hitoshi-San

MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
???
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Bobo's my muse and I think he deserves the honor of being my avatar.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm not sure; I've always found it sort of weird to use a person other than yourself as an avatar regardless of gender
I would never use myself, due to privacy considerations.

I do hesitate to use realistic photos of people, though, and prefer either artwork or photos manipulated in some artistic way.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I mean, there's some reason I don't use female avis. But I don't know how to explain it other than to say it's the same reason I don't slap on a bunch of blue eyeshadow and walk out the door wearing a bunch of doilies every morning. I'm not that girl.
Typically I have to identify with it in some way. Otherwise I change it out in a few days max. If it means something beyond that, all the better.
Because I find so many images of women are overtly sexual and I'm not into that.
^ All of these.

I've used male avatars before -- much more so in my early years on the forum. I don't mind using male or female avatars so long as they aren't distractingly sexualized. In the past I've received unwanted sexual rep comments as a result of avatars that I had only chosen for their (non-sexual) mood.

At this point I prefer to not have people of any distinguishable gender in my avatars, because the scenes I use portray the mood I'm looking for with a great deal more... purity. Without gendered societal filters. If I have people in my avatars at all, they're frequently gender-neutral, or there will be multiple men, multiple women, or a man and a woman, connecting with one another.

The weight of forum members' assumptions has become heavier on me over time, and it makes my life easier to cater to it, so as not to be misunderstood and/or messaged unwantedly. Thankfully a lot of forum folks know my aesthetic enough to choose avatars for me :) so I don't have to change it up as frequently.

Litsnob

The only pattern I've noticed for women at least is that "T" women seem a little more likely to use male avatars than "F". It could even be somewhat subconscious because people assume greater rationality from men than women, even when the reverse is taking place. You can get positive gender bias by using a male avatar as a woman.

As a T woman, I don't find it easy to find avatars of females that seem suited to me. I also tend not to like using another human being/fictional or not as representative of me as it feels inauthentic. Choosing an avatar at all is problematic for me but for now I am content to be an avocado.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
As a T woman, I don't find it easy to find avatars of females that seem suited to me. I also tend not to like using another human being/fictional or not as representative of me as it feels inauthentic. Choosing an avatar at all is problematic for me but for now I am content to be an avocado.
But why an avocado? Why not a parsnip, or a nectarine, or a bunch of asparagus?

Korvinagor

Cyber Strider
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Could I make a guess? Avocados may look rather soft and yielding, but they have a hidden core of toughness that many people often ignore. That eliminates both parsnip and asparagus - when stripped away, there is nothing left. But why not nectarines? Well, avocados have a more...acquired flavour. Symbolising uniqueness I suppose. With that aside...

I assume that avatars are picked on their merit rather than anything else. In my case, it was thematically suitable. I must admit that I do get mistaken about gender thanks to non-matching avatars.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
Interesting thread - I liked seeing all the different perspectives.

Personally, I can't see myself ever using a male avatar because my avi needs to represent me in some way. I need to find it aesthetically pleasing and I need to relate to it on an emotional or spiritual level. The colors also need to speak to me, if there is a significant presence of color that is. There are of course pieces of art depicting men that I am drawn to, and while I may be inclined to "like" or "pin" such images elsewhere, I doubt I'd use one to represent me in a public forum.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Or a pomegranate... those are pretty bad ass and associated with the underworld/winter.

Actually, this give me an idea for a thread...

Litsnob

My imagination falters when it comes to parsnips, asparagus or nectarines but never say never, as they say. Avocados just appeal to me and there is no witty explanation for it, although I could probably come up with some metaphors to connect myself to avocados if I really tried.

Litsnob

Could I make a guess? Avocados may look rather soft and yielding, but they have a hidden core of toughness that many people often ignore. That eliminates both parsnip and asparagus - when stripped away, there is nothing left. But why not nectarines? Well, avocados have a more...acquired flavour. Symbolising uniqueness I suppose. With that aside...

I assume that avatars are picked on their merit rather than anything else. In my case, it was thematically suitable. I must admit that I do get mistaken about gender thanks to non-matching avatars.

LOL-I just like avocados. I like the taste and I like the way they look sliced in half. But my ego also likes all of your suggestions so let's just pretend that's what I intended all along. And in case you need to know, I am a female avocado.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Personally, I can't see myself ever using a male avatar because my avi needs to represent me in some way. I need to find it aesthetically pleasing and I need to relate to it on an emotional or spiritual level.
That's exactly why I hardly ever use female avatars. They may represent my anatomy, but not much else.

VILLANELLE

MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp

Personally, I can't see myself ever using a male avatar because my avi needs to represent me in some way. I need to find it aesthetically pleasing and I need to relate to it on an emotional or spiritual level. The colors also need to speak to me, if there is a significant presence of color that is. There are of course pieces of art depicting men that I am drawn to, and while I may be inclined to "like" or "pin" such images elsewhere, I doubt I'd use one to represent me in a public forum.

Same. I find mine tends to reflect my current interest or, like, whatever. I find my interest is like... my thing and it's a big part of me.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Why is it that some people choose to do this?

Cuz I didn't check between the legs.

Well, I suppose I'm not entirely sure if my avatar is of the opposite gender.

Still, after careful consideration of the possibilities, I have come to the conclusion that the chance I have picked an avatar of the opposite gender is...

...roughly 50%.

Lady Lazarus

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Gendered avatars are for the weak.