User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    135 so/sp

Default High T and emotions of other people.

Can person with the high T be good with emotions of other people?

Some people say that there is no way that this is true.

When I look at other people I am quite impersonal and my Fe suck.

But I find that pure logic works very well when you try to understand what other people feel. You don't have to give empathy/feeling to exactly understand what happened.

If person is unhappy it is because of A,B,C or D same works for happiness.
    In the case you don't understand emotional reaction you probably don't have all the facts or person in faking(for some reason).

What I want to say is that all emotions are quite logical (at least to me) and it is very easy to understand them if you think in the cause--->reaction way.

But for getting person out of depression you will need some F and empathy.

Any opinions about this?

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Empathy is more perceiving emotion than feeling others' emotion yourself.

I'm much better at understanding than actually changing someone's emotional state. I'm diplomatic and good at decelerating aggression, but depression is a tough nut to crack, especially for me. I can make people depressed...not that it's a very useful skill.

MBTI
    ISTJ

Yeah, I don't think you're supposed to even try getting someone out of depression.

I think it's good for feelers to go all crazy around thinkers because there's not that emotion overload when the person who's supposed to give some comfort or input starts going crazy too, in sympathy of the original crazy one. I remain very unemotional when someone else becomes emotional, but not unmoved. Sympathy without all the drama.

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

My opinion is that you're correct.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I suppose a T who took an interest in emotions could learn to find the cause and effect of them. Of course, T/F actually hasn't got anything to do emotions as much as decision processes. So a T could be emotionally sensitive and empathetic, even if they express it very clumsily or not at all. F is more conducive to emotion, but it isn't emotion itself. The only thing is that Ts tend not to let their emotions influence their decision process nearly as directly as Fs let it influence theirs.

I've had three different INTx's pull me out of depression at various points in my life, so I think you actually just need empathy and a desire to help.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one
    But I find that pure logic works very well when you try to understand what other people feel. You don't have to give empathy/feeling to exactly understand what happened.

If person is unhappy it is because of A,B,C or D same works for happiness.
    In the case you don't understand emotional reaction you probably don't have all the facts or person in faking(for some reason).

What I want to say is that all emotions are quite logical (at least to me) and it is very easy to understand them if you think in the cause--->reaction way.
    My thoughts exactly. I think it's a T+N combination thing.
    I'm not exactly able to 'feel' what others are feeling, but instead of that, I can deduce what they 'should' be feeling. Human mind and emotions are something very, very interesting.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    Empathy is more perceiving emotion than feeling others' emotion yourself.

I'm much better at understanding than actually changing someone's emotional state. I'm diplomatic and good at decelerating aggression, but depression is a tough nut to crack, especially for me. I can make people depressed...not that it's a very useful skill.
    I agree with this. I'm also pretty good at diffusing tense situations and keeping cool in highly emotional situations (which was why I was chosen for prison chaplaincy training...), but if confronted with a crying woman I can easily become a blithering idiot.

I almost always know what people are feeling if I look at them for more than a few seconds... but that doesn't mean I empathize. I MIGHT sympathize, but not necessarily, but I definitely never empathize. I don't feel other people's emotions as my own and in fact, sometimes when I see people upset it actually rather than making ME upset, it makes me ANGRY if I know that the reasons they're upset are similar to the spoilt child who didn't get their way... and I've so far in my life been more accurate as to when this is the case than my Fe primary mother...

I dunno... just this week I had somebody tell me that out of all the wonderfully empathetic people they know, I was the most helpful to them in overcoming their fear of leaving a longterm abusive partner, because unlike the empaths I was more able to tell them the truth, no holds barred, to tell them what they needed to hear to change their life around rather than what they wanted to hear to make them feel better.

Sympathy can be as powerful a tool as empathy, but it has to be honed with experience and diplomacy, a Thinker can be just as good a counsellor... it's a matter of experience to learn the discernment as to when it's 'truth time' and when it's 'hug time'. Whilst the Fe primary might have the rocky road of learning how to deal with 'truth time', NT's maybe have just as much of a rocky road in learning how to do 'hug time'. Both are needed, though.

Not that I hug or anything, but you get the drift...
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

Banned
    MBTI
    type

This is a common argument, but I think you're flipping empathy and sympathy, sub.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    This is a common argument, but I think you're flipping empathy and sympathy, sub.
    Maybe we need to agree on definitions of the above, if I may go all Ti on ya...?
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen