• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What is Déjà Vu?

Haight

Doesn't Read Your Posts
MBTI Type
INTj
If you've seen this thread before, I apologize. :D

Please explain what you think déjà vu is, exactly. In other words, from a logically point of view, where does it come from? What is it? How can you see something in your mind's eye before it happens?

Obviously, I have a theory (and yes, I just thought about this after a déjà vu episode about an hour ago):

Déjà vu about intuitive connections that you make while sleeping. Then, on occasion, when you make the same connection while awake AND that foresight actually happens . . . you receive a flash that we call déjà vu.

Or I could be completely wrong, yet I believe that my theory is correct at this moment.

S

Sniffles

This should help answer all your questions. LOL :D
[youtube="G2eUopy9sd8"]Déjà Vu - Monty Python[/youtube]

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP
impromptu thought

I recon you do something in your dreams, and then you're unconsciously driven to revisit the scenario whilst you're awake.

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
From what I understand, déjà vu is a phenomenon where you are remembering the event as it is happening, which is why you get the impression that it's happened before or you predicted everything down to the last detail.

As for why it happens, I haven't a clue. I've read that it might be loosely related to seizures.

But I like to think of it as the neurons in your brain telling the other neurons in your brain, "No, no, you idiot! That one goes there, this one here! What? Stop! Stop! Cut the memory sequence! This is the present not the bloody past." while the rest of the neurons sort of look on and laugh quietly to themselves.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
From what I've read, déjà vu is brain misfiring when one side of the brain perceives something slightly before the other side of the brain, giving the impression that the whole thing has been 'perceived before,' even though it hasn't. And yes, it does have some connection with seizures, which are also about brain misfirings.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Haphazard beat me to it. Brain has to reprocess sensory data, but there are traces left over.

Haight

Doesn't Read Your Posts
MBTI Type
INTj
Yeah, except for the fact that there is no "impression."

When this happens to me, nine times out of ten, I can recall the dream and the events that took place prior to and after the déjà vu scenario - maybe this has to do with my ability to recall my dreams. So as I suspected, maybe this is an Ni thing in that maybe different types experience different types of déjà vu and for different reasons.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
The question is, how do you know you could recall it before the deja vu experience? Once deja vu occurs, the memory of your memory is untrustworthy. I tend to feel like I've been familiar with the memory for years.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
My question is, how do you make those accent marks over the letters on a keyboard?

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
The only way I know is to hold ALT and type number codes. I only know a few, try google. üä!

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Yeah, except for the fact that there is no "impression."

When this happens to me, nine times out of ten, I can recall the dream and the events that took place prior to and after the déjà vu scenario - maybe this has to do with my ability to recall my dreams. So as I suspected, maybe this is an Ni thing in that maybe different types experience different types of déjà vu and for different reasons.

Well, there are lots of different sorts of déjà vu. The traditional one is brain-misfiring. There's the sort when I remember things from dreams, too, but I don't think this is actual déjà vu, even though it seems like it.

My question is, how do you make those accent marks over the letters on a keyboard?

It's easy when you have a mac. :D

Haight

Doesn't Read Your Posts
MBTI Type
INTj
Well, there are lots of different sorts of déjà vu. The traditional one is brain-misfiring. There's the sort when I remember things from dreams, too, but I don't think this is actual déjà vu, even though it seems like it.
Hmm. . . that's what I'm trying to discuss.

In other words, I have a dream about a future event taking place, but that event is forgotten when I wake. Then, usually during the same day, that event takes place, I feel an odd sensation of being in the same event prior (déjà vu), then I recall the dream where it took place before.

But yeah, I imagine there are different sorts. But now I understand how it occurs, which has bothered me for a very long time.

Usehername

On a mission
I get deja vu for a few "events" repeatedly (i.e. when it happens, it's happened with the same "moment" before, if that makes any sense... there are only a handful of "moments" that I "re-live" in deja vu-ness.)

Is it just not properly myelinated brain links? The electrical message jumps ship and follows a different path?

I also repeatedly have a collection of words that I find on the tip of my tongue but often just can't find in my brain.

T

ThatGirl

déjà vu is the connection of pre consious thought that exists in non traceable fragments of our minds. Or it is psychic phenomena. Or possibly remenants of a past life.

T

ThatGirl

déjà vu is the connection of pre consious thought that exists in non traceable fragments of our minds. Or it is psychic phenomena. Or possibly remenants of a past life.

Usehername

On a mission

I feel like you've already posted this thought... :shock:

Usehername

On a mission

I feel like you've already posted this thought... :shock:

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
In other words, I have a dream about a future event taking place, but that event is forgotten when I wake. Then, usually during the same day, that event takes place, I feel an odd sensation of being in the same event prior (déjà vu), then I recall the dream where it took place before.
I assume you saw my "untrustworthy memory" post, but just in case...

Because we are in the present, post-dream and post-deja-vu, and you're recalling both: the dream you remember probably never happened. It was a construction in your mind to "make sense" (read: confuse you) of the double-memory. The only alternatives are that a: You're having hallucinations based on your dreams, or b: You are clairvoyant, and must be kidnapped by the government.

Haight

Doesn't Read Your Posts
MBTI Type
INTj
I see what you are saying, honestly. However, in my case, I don't believe it.

I know the dreams took place because the series of events before and after - within the dream - become very clear to me. Again, through a lot of practice and a really good memory, I'm able to remember a large portion of my dreams if I take the time to review them - I used to wake up every morning, sit up in bed, search my minds eye, and write down my dreams many years ago.

With that said, I still believe that this is simply Ni making connections during the dream that, on occasion, come true, in detail, during the following day or two. Additionally, I think this same thing is what makes some people think they are psychic.